PDA

View Full Version : Is Mordheim City of the Damned any good?

thorgrim29
2015-06-30, 10:07 AM
WYSIWYG basically, the game seems to be getting closer and closer to a full release, so I was wondering if anyone around here has played the various builds and if it continues to be promising.

Domochevsky
2015-06-30, 06:15 PM
Whazzat about? (Not sure I heard of it before.)

thorgrim29
2015-06-30, 08:39 PM
A tactical game where you control warbands of fantasy characters, based on the Games Workshop product of the same name

Sian
2015-07-01, 02:59 AM
It got some issues with not making certain things clear from the UI (The infomation is there, but you'd have to jump loops to get to it), but from a game-mechanical PoV, its certainly competent

Brother Oni
2015-07-01, 05:55 AM
One of its big pluses is the development of your warband as it earns experience, from picking up extra skills and stats, to losing the same due to injuries.

Eldan
2015-07-01, 06:01 AM
Whazzat about? (Not sure I heard of it before.)

A skirmish game sharing a background with Warhammer Fantasy (when that still existed, grumblegrumble eff GW grumble). A human city was hit by a giant meteor of mutagenic magic rock and various factions are battling in the ruins over the pieces and splinters, since thye are very valuable to wizards.

Wraith
2015-07-01, 06:05 AM
Disclaimour: I played it when it first came out, but it made my laptop chug and I haven't tried again since. Will do so with my new machine, when I get the chance.

From what I saw of it, it's a very atmospheric game with decent depth and lots of replayability. It's NOT a perfect copy of the table-top rules, in that the movement/combat system is different and the developers have also added in a few extra things common to video games, such as passive abilities (being able to take a swing at an enemy that walks by your character in there turn, going 'defensive' in combat to reduce your damage taken, the use of a Hit Point system to record damage) but having played the table top version of the game, these are very much advantageous to a video game.

It's worth taking a look at. It's in a very good state to say it's still in development, and all of the updates so far have been worthwhile with more on the horizon.

Brother Oni
2015-07-01, 06:07 AM
A skirmish game sharing a background with Warhammer Fantasy (when that still existed, grumblegrumble eff GW grumble). A human city was hit by a giant meteor of mutagenic magic rock and various factions are battling in the ruins over the pieces and splinters, since thye are very valuable to wizards.

Or subsistence, when it comes to the Skaven (mutated rat men for those unfamiliar).

thorgrim29
2015-07-01, 08:05 AM
One of its big pluses is the development of your warband as it earns experience, from picking up extra skills and stats, to losing the same due to injuries.

Is that implemented? I thought warband permanence wasn't int he game yet, mains reason i didn't get it yet (that and the campaign, I'm a sucker for a good single player campaign)

Blackhawk748
2015-07-01, 10:55 AM
Is that implemented? I thought warband permanence wasn't int he game yet, mains reason i didn't get it yet (that and the campaign, I'm a sucker for a good single player campaign)

They are still working on it, right now you can make you warband, kit them out with all sorts of toys and then play in skirmishes. No campaign yet and no advancement yet.

That being said the mechanics to it are sound and its very pretty, in a dark gothic way. They've only got four factions currently, Human Mercs, Skaven (who i currently play) Sisters of Sigmar, and Cult of the Possessed, however im sure they'll start making more, probably as DLC, but i can live with that as there is a ton of factions in Mordheim and expecting all of them to be in the initial release would be crazy.

My current hope is that they make the Undead available as im still bitter about them not being playable in Battlemarch.

The Glyphstone
2015-07-01, 11:01 AM
I loved the actual tabletop game of Mordheim, I didn't know they are making a digital version.

Blackhawk748
2015-07-01, 12:26 PM
I loved the actual tabletop game of Mordheim, I didn't know they are making a digital version.

I discovered it shortly after i discovered original Mordheim actually :smalltongue:

Ive played several matches and have found it enjoyable, though ranged weapons are a tad lacking*, there only being Bows and Warplock Pistols

*take this with some salt as ive only played as Skaven and once as Mercs, the Mercs had a Bow and the Skaven have Warplocks, im not sure if there are any normal blackpowder weapons yet and as far as i know Sister of Sigmar have no ranged options, but i havent played as them so im not sure. Im off to look!!

Ok Skaven get Warplocks and thats it, Sisters of Sigmar have no ranged options and im not sure about Cult of the Possessed, however Human Mercs have Bows, Longbows, Crossbows, Pistols, Blunderbusses and Hunting Rifles, so pretty much everything.

Eldan
2015-07-01, 12:46 PM
At least there's no slings. skaven with slings absolutely owned the tabletop.

Blackhawk748
2015-07-01, 12:51 PM
At least there's no slings. skaven with slings absolutely owned the tabletop.

Ya, ive heard of the infamous Slingwall, but even if they added slings later Ranged doesnt seem overly potent, this is because you need to spend Strategic Points (ie movement, jumping, certain powers) to reload, so you cant really move with a ranged warrior, on top of this ranged just does less damage than melee and melee can have multiple attacks a turn.

These are just my observations as of now, personally im a bit disappointed with magic, at least for Skaven. All i have is Wither and im not even sure what it does :smallconfused:

thorgrim29
2015-07-01, 12:52 PM
I hope dwarves make it int he game eventually, I love warhammer dwarves. Actually the total warhammer news has me so excited I've started pestering my friends to begin playing Fantasy again after 4 or 5 years, mainly because I want to play with my dwarves again.

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-07-01, 02:17 PM
A skirmish game sharing a background with Warhammer Fantasy (when that still existed, grumblegrumble eff GW grumble).
I swear I had nothing to do with it
~GW

(:smalltongue:)

Ya, ive heard of the infamous Slingwall, but even if they added slings later Ranged doesnt seem overly potent, this is because you need to spend Strategic Points (ie movement, jumping, certain powers) to reload, so you cant really move with a ranged warrior, on top of this ranged just does less damage than melee and melee can have multiple attacks a turn.

These are just my observations as of now, personally im a bit disappointed with magic, at least for Skaven. All i have is Wither and im not even sure what it does :smallconfused:

Last I saw, you could get two to three ranged attacks per turn in some of the simpler ranged weapons (bow), just not with the more complex ones (guns). I got the feeling that they were going for a parallel of one/two handed melee weapons, by also having two tiers of ranged. But I have not looked at the latest changelogs.

From what I remember of the table top, magic was unreliable at best and generally useless unless you were lucky (although I loved the spell that gave you 6 rats, since they were beautiful disposable meatshields due to the rule that you had to aim at the closest enemy).

Grey Wolf