PDA

View Full Version : How would you build a character like Oberyn Martell

Xaryo
2015-06-30, 02:04 PM
What class/archetype fit the most for what we saw on his fight against the Mountain?

and background

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-30, 02:09 PM
What class/archetype fit the most for what we saw on his fight against the Mountain?

and background

Book!Oberyn or Show!Oberyn?

Really, Westeros is too low-magic to translate well into D&D classes (Edit: and I agree with person_man re. rules-driven game and narrative-driven fiction). That said, I would probably make both Oberyn and Clegane Champion Fighters. I don't see any evidence that they're anything else. In fact, I'm not even convinced they're as high as 3rd level...

Edit: as for background, well, they'd probably both need custom ones. Clegane is closest to the Soldier background, and Martell to Noble or maybe Charlatan. That's my take.

Person_Man
2015-06-30, 02:25 PM
GoT has really, really poorly defined magic and combat. Stuff basically just happens because GRRM (or the HBO showrunners) says so. This is basically the opposite of D&D, which is one of the most strictly defined and crunch heavy RPGs on the market. So no character from GoT is going to translate well into D&D.

(Also, none of the above it meant as a criticism of GoT. Novels shouldn't be structured like RPG, or vice versa).

Easy_Lee
2015-06-30, 02:58 PM
Probably just a generic polearm master fighter, variant human, level 1, with 6 CON. But yeah, like Person_man said.

Xaryo
2015-06-30, 03:34 PM
I would go with Bookberyn Martell.

so human champion or battlemaster fighter with the polearm master feat.

Easy_Lee
2015-06-30, 03:39 PM
I would go with Bookberyn Martell.

so human champion or battlemaster fighter with the polearm master feat.

Don't forget the 6 CON part. I know it's too low for point buy, but we are talking about someone who got knocked out with one punch. He's kind of like an Inigo Montoya tribute, except the opposite of that.

Edit: scratch that, unarmed strike does 1 damage, 2 on a crit, plus strength mod. Assuming 20STR for Cleg, he'd need to be level 1 and have 4 CON.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-30, 03:48 PM
Don't forget the 6 CON part. I know it's too low for point buy, but we are talking about someone who got knocked out with one punch. He's kind of like an Inigo Montoya tribute, except the opposite of that.

Edit: scratch that, unarmed strike does 1 damage, 2 on a crit, plus strength mod. Assuming 20STR for Cleg, he'd need to be level 1 and have 4 CON.

Maybe he wasn't at full HP at that point? Or Clegane has the Tavern Brawler feat? I mean, Oberyn isn't some sickly invalid (an attribute of 4 is about as bad as a human can ever achieve).

Easy_Lee
2015-06-30, 03:51 PM
Maybe he wasn't at full HP at that point? Or Clegane has the Tavern Brawler feat? I mean, Oberyn isn't some sickly invalid (an attribute of 4 is about as bad as a human can ever achieve).

Tavern Brawler and a 1d4 fist might be fine. But I think he was supposed to be at full HP (as in unharmed and not tired).

Ramshack
2015-06-30, 04:51 PM

and background

I think most people realize you can't make a 100% accurate copy of Oberyn I still think you can get pretty close to the style and flavor.

First He is about speed and agility instead of brute strength, uses reach weapons, poisons and expertly timed maneuvers to beat superior foes. Additionally He at least has Persuasion and Acrobatics for skills and probably has the Noble Background.

To meet his first requirements I think rogue would make a good fit at least second level rogue to get Expertise, Dex Save, Cunning Action and Poisoner Kit, Persuasion and Acrobatics. And would consider going as high as 5th level for Uncanny Dodge or even 7th for evasion. Though there is no finesse reach weapon so you'll lose out on sneak attack.

Now a possible alternative would be a few levels of Barbarian, no one can say He didn't rage out in that fight against the mountain. He gains rage, danger sense and if he goes eagle barbarian he can other gets disadvantage on opportunity attacks and he can get the dash action as a bonus action. Not bad.

Second is Warrior. At least level 11 for 3 attacks per turn. I can see an argument for either Champion or Battlemaster but I really feel Battlemaster fits his fighting style better especially the bits about studying your enemy.

Weapons and Tactics. He is probably ei Light and Medium armor using a Reach Weapon such as Halbered or Glaive. Though I would really ask your DM for a Finesse Reach Weapon.

Feats: Sentinel for keeping opponents at bay and battlefield control, Pole Arm master, Great Weapon Master and would consider looking at Martial Adept for additional maneuvers and points as well as mobile.

All that being said I think their are two builds I would think are viable.

First: Variant Human 11 Battlemaster Fighter, 2 Rogue and 7 Barbarian - Unarmored, With Glaive, Feats are Sentinel, Pole Arm, Great Weapon master and the rest to increase Strength to 20 -

Take Rogue first

Persuasion - Expertise
Acrobatics - Expertise
Cunning Action - Bonus Action for dash, disengage or hide

Fighter:
Second Wind - Self Heal
Fighting Style - 2 handed weapon
Action Surge - 2 Actions
Battle Maneuvers - Trip, Riposte, Disarm or Precision are all good for oberyn
Student of War - Artisan Tool - Poison Kit
Know your Enemy - Gage the strength of your enemies by observing them
Indomitable - Reroll Saving Throws
Extra Attack (3)

Barbarian
Unarmored Defense - Dex and Con to AC
Rage
Reckless Attack
Danger Sense - Advantage on Dex Throws
Either Frenzy for the Extra Attack or Bear Totem for the Extra Defense
Extra Movement - +10 Movement
Feral instict - advantage on dex saving throws

Second is Variant Human 11 Battlemaster Fighter, 7 Rogue, 2 Barbarian - Light Armor, Glaive, Feats are Feats are Sentinel, Pole Arm, Great Weapon master and the rest to increase Strength to 20

Take Rogue first

Persuasion - Expertise
Acrobatics - Expertise
Cunning Action - Bonus Action for dash, disengage or hide
Assassinate - Auto Crit if you go first or suprise an enemy
Uncanny Dodge - Reaction to halve damage
Evasion - Take no damage on dex saves

Fighter:
Second Wind - Self Heal
Fighting Style - 2 handed weapon
Action Surge - 2 Actions
Battle Maneuvers - Trip, Riposte, Disarm or Precision are all good for oberyn
Student of War - Artisan Tool - Poison Kit
Know your Enemy - Gage the strength of your enemies by observing them
Indomitable - Reroll Saving Throws
Extra Attack (3)

Barbarian
Unarmored Defense - Dex and Con to AC
Rage
Reckless Attack
Danger Sense - Advantage on Dex Throws

Both create a very versatile high damage fighter. The key is utility, with cunning action, uncanny dodge and maneuvers you have a lot of options each round. Both Danger Sense, Evasion and Feral Instincts powered with Indomitable give you a very dex save savvy fighter. Your feat choices keep enemies at range, and give you more bonus options with opportunity attacks battlefield control and increase damage. Going more rogue gives you a more agile fighter feel with damage potential through assassinate and barbarian gives you a more durable fighter with rage with moderate damage boost.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-30, 04:59 PM
-snip-

Level 20? In ASOIAF? I can't think of anyone in that world with the power of a level 6 character, let alone 20. One of the pillars of the story is that everyone is 'normal' and no one is significantly better than anyone else in any dimension.

Ramshack
2015-06-30, 05:03 PM
Well that's how I would build him in a game if I wanted a character that played in D&D like Oberyn is in the books. If you want to just remake him using D&D rules to the exact same power level. Then variant human fighter with polearm master or sentinel, level 1. Oh and he's dead. make a new character sheet.

I3igAl
2015-06-30, 09:21 PM
Level 20? In ASOIAF? I can't think of anyone in that world with the power of a level 6 character, let alone 20. One of the pillars of the story is that everyone is 'normal' and no one is significantly better than anyone else in any dimension.

I agree with you even though Dungeon magazine Westeros setting had Jaime at lvl 16 in 3.5...
I guess the post above was more about making a character progression, that plays like Oberyn during his career, than depiction him exactly. Similar to all threads making Thor in D&D even though their character will never be that powerful.

I would personally just make a Polearm Master Fighter and create a custom background.
If you don't mind magic a bard could work as well. A reflavoured monk could also make an interesting Oberyn Martell.

Malifice
2015-06-30, 10:20 PM
BM fighter. Pole arm master, medium armor mastery and the Mobile feat. Defence fighting style.

Uses poison.

The mountain is a s20 GWM, heavy armor master and brawler champion fighter with a 2 level barbarian dip. GWM fighting style.

Malifice
2015-06-30, 10:25 PM

The knock out punch came when he had been reduced to 1 HP.

The reduction of his HP was due to close misses, parries and dodges.

He has a decent Con without it being a focus. Nothing in the books indicates poor health, or low endurance. Far from it.

Ziegander
2015-06-30, 10:37 PM

He has a decent Con without it being a focus. Nothing in the books indicates poor health, or low endurance. Far from it.

True. In fact, even in the show Oberyn got knocked off his feet and through the air by the Mountain at least once.

Dralnu
2015-06-30, 11:32 PM

Agree with this as well. I recall some Wizards articles (DMG?) talking about narrating combat damage this way, making sense of HP in terms of roleplay.

Fighter, Polearm, custom background, higher than average CHA, bam. All done.

rollingForInit
2015-07-01, 12:14 AM

Does this also mean that any time where a character gets their throat cut, executed by having their head cut off, or dies dramatically in an unlikely manner, that the character has to have basically less than 10 hp? Makes no sense whatsoever.

HP is only ever for fair, randomised combat. When you venture away from that, into planned drama, there is no HP. Things just happen because you want it.

You cannot say that because Oberyn was knocked out by one punch in the show, that he's gotta have low Con. Because any person can be knocked out by a good punch, so any person would have to have low Con, then.

Coidzor
2015-07-01, 04:55 AM
It's almost like narrative and cinematic fight scenes are really **** at being mapped onto HP systems that don't have anything to do with them. :smallamused:

That's a flaw with the system and feats which it inherited from 3.X, yeah. At least in part.

DragonLordIT
2015-07-01, 05:42 AM
I would say the multiclassing fighter BM and rogue (few levels just for skills and kits) is a really good catch. I have always seen him as a dex fighter more than strenght.
As feats I would say mobile and polearm master are a must.
I would say trip attack (useful to autosneack attack after!!!), parry and precision attack as maneuvers at least. . . . and goading attack too obviously :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: