PDA

View Full Version : Six Pokemon

Setra
2007-04-28, 04:42 PM
Okay, you have the choice of choosing Six Pokemon out of all... 300+ of them, these are for fighting by the way, not just the ones you like the most.

Which six would you choose?

My choices are...

Charizard (Or Blaziken)
Dragonite (Or Gyarados)
Vaporeon
Arcticuno
Alakazam
Venesaur

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-28, 05:15 PM
Arceus, Darkrai, Mewtwo.

Would I really need any others?

Cybren
2007-04-28, 05:21 PM
Uhm
Mew
Mewtwo
Azelf
Arceus
Regigigas
Maybe Celebi for good measure

Setra
2007-04-28, 05:28 PM
Can you even CATCH Mew?

Also.. I've never heard of

Arceus, Darkrai, and Azelf... they from the new ones?

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-28, 05:31 PM
Yep. Arceus and Darkrai are horribly overpowered, while Azelf is bleh.

Dhavaer
2007-04-28, 05:36 PM
Tyranitar
Mewtwo
Scizor
Luiga
Gyrados
Ho-oh

Setra
2007-04-28, 06:01 PM
Maybe I should have said you couldn't use overpowered pokemon.

Dhavaer
2007-04-28, 06:04 PM
Maybe I should have said you couldn't use overpowered pokemon.

But then you'd have to have defined what was overpowered.

Setra
2007-04-28, 06:05 PM
But then you'd have to have defined what was overpowered.
Hmm.. well at the very least, any Pokemon there is only one of. Save Eevee.

That includes some of them (though I'd have to switch out Arcticuno).

Also.. can you even catch Mew without a gameshark?

Dhavaer
2007-04-28, 06:11 PM

There was an event where some Nintendo staff travelled around with machines that would load Mew into your game. This also occured with Celebi.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-28, 06:11 PM
i am ashamed to post here....pardon spelling errors, havent played since gold

Huanter
Scizor
Steelix
Farfetched
Murcrow
hitmonchan

Setra
2007-04-28, 06:15 PM
There was an event where some Nintendo staff travelled around with machines that would load Mew into your game. This also occured with Celebi.
I get the feeling Mew and Celebi are the very essence of overpowered.

Duffren
2007-04-28, 06:16 PM
Beedrill
Nidoking
Cloyster
Marowak
Magmar
Hitmonlee

What can I say, I like the originals.

Dhavaer
2007-04-28, 06:17 PM
I get the feeling Mew and Celebi are the very essence of overpowered.

Celebi isn't that great. I've never gotten Mew.

Fishies
2007-04-28, 06:24 PM
Articuno, Gyarados, Alazakam, Venusaur, Blaziken, and Scyther.

crazedloon
2007-04-28, 08:18 PM
pp7 and it evolved form desert eagle :smallbiggrin:

MoelVermillion
2007-04-28, 08:34 PM

If you exploit a glitch in blue/red version you can.

My Six:
Kingler
Primeape
Macargo
Magnemyte
Dodrio
Omanyte

Not a very balanced team but its the team i used for battling people in gold version back in the day.

tgva8889
2007-04-28, 08:51 PM
Personally, the Six pokemon I used in the competitive battling circut for a good while was the following, in team order:

Scizor
Aerodactyl
Gengar
Houndoom
Swampert
Slowbro

Which was an incredibly good team, actually. It may not look that way, but that team can take a lot. Not, of course, Uber-rated pokemon, because those are ridiculous.

Updating for the introduction of D/P, I would switch out a few pokemon and be left with a team akin to this:

Scizor (It's even better, for lord's sake)
Aerodactyl
Gengar or Spiritomb (Needs testing, but looks promising)
Houndoom
Swampert or Torterra (I still can't decide)
Slowbro

Honorable Mention: Bastiodon. This pokemon scares me at it's very existance. Stealth Rock + Uber Defenses = Ridiculous. We'll have to see what becomes of this one.

Basically for the purposes of this exercise, the following pokemon should not be considered:
Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Diagla, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Heatran, Wobbuffet (because it's a stupid pokemon that's only good because the other pokemon it fights are good).
Pokemon which can only be obtained through special events or cheating. This would include: Manaphy, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi, Darkrai, Phione, Shaymin, Arceus, and any that I missed. You people are smart enough to know which ones.

I compiled most of that list from memory of the Uber-circut of Pokemon.

I can explain the usefulness of all my choices to anyone if you'd like, as I fondly like all the pokemon on my team. Except Houndoom. If there was a better pokemon to fill the needed slot he does, I would so totally use it.

As for personal pet favorites, I personally think Scizor is awesome, and have some very odd attachment to Pichu. It's so...cute.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-28, 09:08 PM
Pokemon which can only be obtained through special events or cheating. This would include: Manaphy, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi, Darkrai, Phione, Shaymin, Arceus, and any that I missed. You people are smart enough to know which ones.

Missingno, M, [series of unpronouncable freakish symbols], etc.

And what's with all the weird Pokemon? Back in my day, we only had 150 Pokemon, and we liked it!

My winning team was usually:

Alakazam
Gengar
Starting Pokemon (generally Blastoise or Venusaur)
Miscelllaneous

Cybren
2007-04-29, 12:09 AM
Celebi isn't that great. I've never gotten Mew.
Mew is alright but by the time i bothered to get him I was oneshotting every NPC pokemon with articuno anyway

tgva8889
2007-04-29, 12:28 AM
Mew is alright but by the time i bothered to get him I was oneshotting every NPC pokemon with articuno anyway

Impossible! Mew is the ultimate pokemon!

(I'm insane about Mew because I never got one and it's basically my favorite pokemon ever)

The Extinguisher
2007-04-29, 12:58 AM
6 Pokemon. All Charmanders.

It's amazing what you can do with Charmanders, everstones (or whatever they are called) lots of leveling and the odd TM here and there.

Jibar
2007-04-29, 01:55 AM
Oooo, you've got me thinking back to Red and Blue.
I could then splice that team with my Collesium group. Hmmm...

Starmie (Insane. Okay? Never fainted on me.)
Golduck
Alakazam
Vaporeon
Umbreon
Espeon.

Heh, I can remember of my team of Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon.
I'm going to have to pick up Diamond or Pearl now. I haven't had a proper Pokemon game since Red and Blue.

Amotis
2007-04-29, 02:12 AM
Alakazam
Dragonair (no evolving for you mr. i turn into some lame looking thing)
Venusaur (see below)
Charizard (see below)
Blastoise (yup, I had a brother who had pokemon too. Yup, we had a link cable)
Mew (sooo cute)

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-29, 07:06 AM
Also.. can you even catch Mew without a gameshark? Yes. There is a glitch in the Red/Blue/Yellow versions that involves a lot of travelling and challenging and not challenging certain trainers. I'm not talking about the truck, by the way. I haven't performed the glitch myself but it's been confirmed by many.

Dihan
2007-04-29, 07:46 AM
Marowak
Gallade
Lickilicky
Roserade
Amphorous
Infernape

Aotrs Commander
2007-04-29, 07:47 AM
Hard question...had so many line-ups...(got all seven of the R/S generation games!)

For character alone, I'd go for:
Pikachu
Blaziken
Pigeot
Alakazam
Vaporeon
Bulbasaur

Which isn't too bad a line-up actually, if a bit old-school (and apart from Blaziken it's pretty much my line-up from both B/R and my current LG team; though Bulbasaur is Venuaur by this point. I refuse to evolve my primary Pikachu!)

Though it's very hard to pick six favourites out of 386!

Were I to build a team for serious multiplayer (I've never found any other serious Pokemon fans in my area, though; I even had borrow my mate's gameboy to trade over the team I wanted from LG to Fr!), I'd pick:
Alakazam (or maybe Espeon)
Skarmory
Vaporeon
Flygon
Blaziken (or possibly Charizard)
Jolteon

As a fairly balanced all-rounder team.

Oddly, I don't tend to use the legendaries much, except as an aid in the first attempt tackling the Elite Four (or whichever game).

Dihan
2007-04-29, 07:49 AM
386?

There's about 493 now...

PlatinumJester
2007-04-29, 03:02 PM
Vapoureon, Venesaur, Mew, Zapdos, Charizard, Steelix

Indon
2007-04-29, 03:44 PM
Impossible! Mew is the ultimate pokemon!

(I'm insane about Mew because I never got one and it's basically my favorite pokemon ever)

While Mew definitely deserves its' Legendary status (why not just say "No Legendary pokemon"? That excludes Mew, mewtwo, the five birds, all those fancy "God" pokemon things, etc), Mewtwo has significantly more raw power.

What makes Mew special is being able to learn everything there is to teach; it's still quite possible to outgun it.

Back when I played Blue+Red, my ultimate team was: Mewtwo x 6. That's it. I gave them all different TM's and even against anti-psychic Gold/Silver teams they had a chance.

I haven't built a decent Diamond+Pearl team yet, still playing it, but I did decide to beat the game exclusively using the first six pokemon I could catch.

So now I have:

Piplup (Water starter)
Starly
Bidoof
Kricketot
Shinx
Zubat

I expect a challenge.

Aotrs Commander
2007-04-29, 04:16 PM
386?

There's about 493 now...

I heard they'd made it a round 500.

However, not being familiar with the other hundred yet (save in passing with regard to Munchlax, Bonsley, Mime Jr, Weavile and Lucario as they have appeared in the anime), I can hardly pick a choice from them!

tgva8889
2007-04-29, 05:36 PM
So now I have:

Piplup (Water starter)
Starly
Bidoof
Kricketot
Shinx
Zubat

I expect a challenge.

My current team is this:
Turtwig
Starly
Shinx
Magikarp
Zubat
Budew

Kricketot is so bad. I evolved mine into Kricketune, but even then all it was good for was learning Rock Smash.

But I really need to level my Zubat up a lot. Zubat is really, really bad at a low level. But I'm intent on using Crobat.

And I didn't just ban legendaries because not all the legendary pokemon are broken. The three original Legendary Birds aren't actually that awesome. They can be dealt with by ordinary pokemon. Same for the 3 legendary beasts from G/S and the 3 Regis from R/S. They just aren't completely insane.

Jothki
2007-04-29, 07:51 PM
I've read that Mew is a one-shot in Emerald.

tgva8889
2007-04-29, 08:27 PM
I've read that Mew is a one-shot in Emerald.

It's accessable only by special event. You had to go to a Nintendo event, where they would download a special key item to your game. You then had to take that key item to the ship, where they would then transport you to the island on which Mew was waiting.

Indon
2007-04-29, 09:11 PM
And I didn't just ban legendaries because not all the legendary pokemon are broken. The three original Legendary Birds aren't actually that awesome. They can be dealt with by ordinary pokemon. Same for the 3 legendary beasts from G/S and the 3 Regis from R/S. They just aren't completely insane.

I dunno about the legendary beasts or the regis (Back in my day, we called them 'golems'), but the birds strike me as quite powerful. Not to mention, doesn't Articuno have some cheap instant-kill combo availible to it? I seem to recall something about that being banned from most competitive play.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-29, 09:27 PM
Man...Havn't been exposed to Pokemon in ages...

But from what I still remember, these are my favorites:

Mewtwo
Charizard
Squirtle
Gengar
Scyther
Gyrados

Fishies
2007-04-29, 10:22 PM
Not to mention, doesn't Articuno have some cheap instant-kill combo availible to it?

Mind Read, Sheer Cold.

Maryring
2007-04-30, 04:21 AM
A team of six pokemon? Do I have to make only one team? I mean, it all depends on what I'm going to use them for, right?

For example, here is team Cute, which I use during team fights. Plusle and Minun are great companions, Pikachu and Marill make a nice pair, and Skitty and Meowth fulfill each other neatly.
Team Cute:
Plusle
Minun
Pikachu
Marill
Meowth
Skitty

Or I could go with team Elite, which is my prefered Elite 4 team. I have all the four basic types covered and can strike the weakpoint of most any opponent.
Team Elite:
Gardevoir
Umbreon
Charizard
Meganium
Swampert
Pikachu

And of course we have this big team, which was chosen primarily because they fit into the kind me and my friend have aptly named "mess with me and I eat you".

Team "mess with me and I eat you" consists of
Charizard
Tyranitar
Nidoking
Mewtwo
Feraligatr
Aggron

Of course, I have several other teams. Team building is one of the fun parts of Pokemon. I just don't have the time to post them now.

Sephiroth
2007-04-30, 04:34 AM
mew mewtwo mew mewtwo etc

Foeofthelance
2007-04-30, 03:55 PM
Charizard, Dragonite, Tyrannitar, the blue dragon from Ruby/Sapphire (can't remember it's name) Gyrados, and Nidoking for a bruiser.

Currently using:

Monferno
Kadabra
Onyx
Starlyvia
Shinx's Second form
Gyrados

All around level 20-23. I have no idea, or any idea where I am going or who to fight, which I actually find a good thing. The last few pokemon games were bit eh, if only because I could type everything at a glance, and the trainer opponents were terrible. I've actually come close to losing fights in Diamond though, which is a good thing.

Thrawn183
2007-05-02, 08:31 AM
Was the trick with Venasaur using toxic and leechsead legal? That move seriously saved me a bunch of times.

That said, how come no one uses ghost types?

tgva8889
2007-05-02, 01:43 PM
I said I would use Gengar...

Except for Zapdos, the birds can't hold their own against ubers in the Advanced circut. Articuno, while it has the insta-kill combo, fails to win against players who realize they can switch pokemon, players with pokemon that have Rock moves (which is a lot of them), and players who, well, know how to build competitive teams.

For example, my team would be happy to use and abuse your time. Swords Dance, then switch off to my Aerodactyl, and have him use his Rock Slide. You'd die, or you'd not have killed my Aerodactyl, unless you were extremely lucky and hit my Swampert with your 30% accuracy, which is a horrible accuracy in Pokemon. He'd have had the chance to Rock Slide you twice, unless you switched or had a Quick Claw. You'd most definately have died to his maxed attack, STAB, and Choice Band.

Moltres is bad because A) There are better fire types, B) Fire is a generally bad attack type, and C) Moltres's move list sucks compared to other pokemon.

Zapdos is good because it can block a lot of powerful attackers' moves, mainly Metagross and Arena Trappers. And it doesn't suck, with Thunderbolt and the special attack to back it up.

Mr. Mud
2007-05-02, 04:05 PM
Charizard (Or Blaziken)
Dragonite (Or Gyarados)
Pidgeot
Lapras
NidoKing/NidoQueen
And Syther (favorite)

Because they are well rounded and counter verything but Stell and Forget steel never likeded you anyway ;)

Copacetic
2007-05-02, 07:57 PM
Hmm

Houndoom
Espeon
Dragonite
Tryanitar
Blastoise
Aggron

Their all done

BanjoTheClown
2007-05-18, 08:57 PM
Mine would be:

Blaziken
InfernoApe
Blastoise
Salamence
Torterra
Umbreon

Raven T.
2007-05-19, 02:58 PM
Lanturn
Houndoom
Exeggutor
Crobat
Aggron
Heracross

Well rounded typing, mostly designed to hit 'em hard and fast.

blakyoshi7
2007-05-19, 07:19 PM
Say hello to my Pokemon Crystal team:

Hitmonlee
Tyranitar
Lugia
Vileplume
Blastoise
Golem

If I had to, I would switch Lugia with Xatu, since they're the same type.
It's a pretty well-rounded team. Hitmonlee is for taking out Dark and Steel types, and Tyranitar gets rid of the Psychics. The other pokemon have the following types:

Psychic/Flying
Grass/Poison
Water
Rock/Ground

Looks pretty good to me! :smallbiggrin:

Meeeeebit
2007-05-20, 12:23 AM
How do people still manage too like pokemon.....

Anyway team Cold Iron

Steelix
Steelix
Steelix
Steelix
Steelix

oh and Steelix

Setra
2007-05-20, 02:21 AM
mew mewtwo mew mewtwo etc
Having a team of a single type seems rather silly, it'd take 3 Dark Types of an equal level to take out all six of your team.

That's why Gym Leaders are so easy.

*whimpers* I wanna play Diamond and Pearl so badly.. but I don't have money. Or copies of any previous pokemon games... darnit! I wish I knew where the hell my copy of Sapphire went, that and I wish I hadn't sold my copy of Silver with all the pokemon for $50

theKOT
2007-05-20, 02:51 AM
Having a team of a single type seems rather silly, it'd take 3 Dark Types of an equal level to take out all six of your team.

That's why Gym Leaders are so easy.

*whimpers* I wanna play Diamond and Pearl so badly.. but I don't have money. Or copies of any previous pokemon games... darnit! I wish I knew where the hell my copy of Sapphire went, that and I wish I hadn't sold my copy of Silver with all the pokemon for $50
Ouch. when did you sell it?

Diamond and Pearl really is worth it, I'm 40+ hours in and I just beat the eigth gym leader and I haven't really been stopping to catch or train pokemon. AND there's a lot of stuff at the end that you can do once you've beaten the elite four.

The game is 35 $ retail but you can get it for 33.24 from amazon new(with no shipping). Hang in there, I'm sure you can get a used copy locally in a few weeks.

As to the main topic, Ideally I'd have a team of eevee evolutions featuring:
Jolteon
Flareon
Leafeon
Glaceon
Espeon
Umbreon

Setra
2007-05-20, 02:57 AM
Ouch. when did you sell it?

Diamond and Pearl really is worth it, I'm 40+ hours in and I just beat the eigth gym leader and I haven't really been stopping to catch or train pokemon. AND there's a lot of stuff at the end that you can do once you've beaten the elite four.

The game is 35 $ retail but you can get it for 33.24 from amazon new(with no shipping). Hang in there, I'm sure you can get a used copy locally in a few weeks.
Way back in Junior High (!? When did they come out anyways? Junior high was at least 4 years ago, I didn't think pokemon had been around that long). I'd download the original games off the web, but I'm opposed to it. They need to be played on a portable system to recreate the effect.

But yeah, I'm hoping to get one eventually (Preferable Diamond, as it has a cooler Pokemon on the front*). I've been talking to people a lot about Pokemon recently (One of my friends has Pearl).

Also, something I've been curious about, but never thought to ask. Was Crystal like Pokemon yellow, or was it a different game in its own right?

*This is always my reason for choosing a copy. Red, Silver, Sapphire, all have cooler pokemon on the front.

Edit: Replace Leafeon with Vaporeon, just my thoughts. I love all the Eevee evolutions though.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-20, 06:38 AM
Eevee
Espeon
Flareon
Jolteon
Umbreon
Vaporeon

...What?

Alternatively:

Espeon
Skitty
Plusle
Minun
Quagmire
Bellossom

...What?

Reinboom
2007-05-20, 07:58 PM
Having not built a team beyond Crystal...: (besides with Fire/Red)

Scizor (Only 1 weakness and can be chain bred psychic and razor wind, among other strange combinations, main type abuser)[Named: Notemo]

Arcanine (Chomp, and Flamethrower as the leading damage punchers, then odd type moves)[Named: Crayon]

Dragonite (Lightning Bolt, Steel Wing, Ice Blast, and another I can't recall, my secondary lead type abuser)[Named: Sex Kitty]

Gengar (Giga Drain FTW!, effect user after that)[Named: Rayn]

Snorlax (Monstrous HP, rest, a defensive move, a handy ground move I can't recall.. and psychic!, this is my endurance pokemon)[Named: Busty]

Raikou (Fast, bite, dig, zap cannon, or whatever it's called. The most narrow of my team and probably the weakest part.)[Named: Towel]

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-05-20, 11:29 PM
Infernape
Abomasnow
Spiritomb
Honchkrow
Garchomp
Drapion

Of course, with perfect EV training and lots of TMs.

You can bet your mother's life that I would have my fantastic Darkrai, Zephyr, on my team, but since no legendaries...

kpenguin
2007-05-20, 11:36 PM
Six Magikarp. The opponent laughs himself to defeat.

Dhavaer
2007-05-21, 02:36 AM
(!? When did they come out anyways? Junior high was at least 4 years ago, I didn't think pokemon had been around that long).

I was definately playing Red in year 7, which would be about 8 years ago now.

Setra
2007-05-21, 02:56 AM
I was definately playing Red in year 7, which would be about 8 years ago now.
Apparently Pokemon is over 10 years old in Japan, at least according to Gamefaqs.

Pocket Monsters Aka (Red) Nintendo - 02/27/96 - JP
Pokemon Red Nintendo - 09/30/98 - US
Pokemon Red Nintendo - 05/10/99 - EU

Reinboom
2007-05-21, 09:28 AM
I definately recall seeing an article for it approximately 9 years ago in the back of a video game magazine.

Setra
2007-05-27, 08:34 AM
Alright!

I have Diamond!

Here's my current team...

Egg (I'm hoping it's an Eevee)
Staravia - 21
Luxio - 22
Gyarados - 23
Monferno - 23
Kazza (Kadabra) - 23 (Traded a Machop for it)

tgva8889
2007-05-27, 03:15 PM
Alright!

I have Diamond!

Here's my current team...

Egg (I'm hoping it's an Eevee)
Staravia - 21
Luxio - 22
Gyarados - 23
Monferno - 23
Kazza (Kadabra) - 23 (Traded a Machop for it)

The egg, I believe, is a Happiny, if you got it in Hearthome City. You can't get Eevee without trading before you beat the League. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Setra
2007-05-27, 06:27 PM
The egg, I believe, is a Happiny, if you got it in Hearthome City. You can't get Eevee without trading before you beat the League. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Yeah in the end I had checked.

I've changed my lineup a bit now(I think? Lemme check), but have no clue what I want as my fifth pokemon.

Nope the team is exactly the same, except higher leveled. Also, a Girafarig I caught, I tend to catch a lot of pokemon, and this one was caught when I had an empty slot.

Any ideas on what would fit in well, that I could actually catch?

I have a Machop and an Onix, but am not sure if they'd work out.

Psychotic
2007-05-27, 09:58 PM
My Blue/Red Lineup

Jolteon (He just owns, Double Kick, Pin Missile and Thunderbolt)
Parasect (For those pesky psychic types)
Snorlax (The veritable tank, take 300 damage, rest and snore)
Arcanine (C'mon! Who would not love to have a giant freaking firebreathing dog/tiger?)
Alakazam (Since we've apparently kicked Legendaries out of the picture...)
Cloyster (High Defense, reasonably good Special attack and Defense.)