PDA

View Full Version : Initiative Bonus for Homebrew Racial?

Snig
2015-06-30, 10:11 PM
I'm considering giving my homebrew goblin an initiative bonus as a racial. I saw one posted that gave their proficiency bonus to their initiative but I thought that woudl get out of hand fast, so I was thinking a +2?

What do you guys think? I don't think it would be out of line?

Snig
2015-07-02, 05:09 PM
Bump. Still wondering if I should add this to my homebrew race?

JNAProductions
2015-07-02, 05:24 PM
I'd lean towards no. Little niggly bonuses are against the 5E design philosiphy.

Snig
2015-07-02, 05:38 PM
I'd lean towards no. Little niggly bonuses are against the 5E design philosiphy.

What about giving them advantage on initiative rolls? I just took a quick look through the PHB, and noticed Gnome Cunning, and Brave both give advantage on saving throws. Would this be too much? Maybe limit it to certain circumstances?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-02, 05:38 PM
I agree. The only type of bonus that I would be ok with would be the prof towards initiative, but only as a mid level (9-14) feature. It is extremely powerful considering that there is only a feat that gives out that kind of bonus. The rest is based in advantage.

Steampunkette
2015-07-02, 05:45 PM
Give 'em proficiency.

Going first doesn't -really- affect combat that much unless you've got the ability to shut combat down completely or to a lesser extent you're an assassin.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-04, 03:39 PM
If you're concerned with proficiency being too high, give them half proficiency (although I think full would be fine). A boost to initiative is good, but not game-breaking- just don't give them a bunch of other abilities. Like the Halfling Lucky or the Gnome save boost, this should be the main draw of the race.

Snig
2015-07-04, 09:31 PM
If you're concerned with proficiency being too high, give them half proficiency (although I think full would be fine). A boost to initiative is good, but not game-breaking- just don't give them a bunch of other abilities. Like the Halfling Lucky or the Gnome save boost, this should be the main draw of the race.

How does this look?

Goblin Racials
- Stealthy: You gain proficiency in the stealth skill

- Ambush Hunter: You add your proficiency bonus to initiative checks.

- Nimble Escape: Opportunity attacks against you are made with disadvantage

- Cunning Sneak: You can attempt to hide even when
you are only lightly obscured by dim light, foliage, heavy rain, mist, and other natural phenomena.

- Rat Keepers and Wolf Riders: Whenever you make a Wisdom
(Animal Handling) check related to wolves or worgs, you
are considered proficient in the Animal Handling skill and add
double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of
your normal proficiency bonus. Additionally you gain a pet rat.