PDA

View Full Version : d100 modern system?

Uncle Pine
2015-07-01, 03:12 AM
Hi people,

I'm looking for a good d100-based system that can handle modern days tech (i.e. guns, tanks, cameras, etc.), but I'm completely new to the tabletop RPG scene outside of D&D. One without magic would be even better. Is there something like this out there?

Anonymouswizard
2015-07-01, 05:51 AM
The only d% modern systems I know of are Call of Cthulhu and Unknown Armies. They are two different types of horror, and Unknown Armies is brilliant, but requires the use of it's setting.

caden_varn
2015-07-01, 06:37 AM
The original Twilight: 2000 was percentile if my ancient and feeble brain remembers correctly, and being a third world war game it handled tanks etc. Your chances of finding that version are pretty low though. They changed it to some kind of d10 system a long while ago. Can't really remember if the system was any good either.

Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying system is percentile also. The only games I personally know that use it are RuneQuest (fantasy) and Call of Cthulhu, but there may well be a modern mod out there. If not, CoC may work for you - it is ranges from 1890s up to modern day, but the emphasis is on horror rather than combat. Don;t think it has rules for tanks...

<edit> - looks like Chaosium has a free quickstart for BRP here (http://www.chaosium.com/chaosium-free-downloads-center/) amongst other things - don't know how much info it gives, but might help you decide whether it would work.

Khedrac
2015-07-01, 06:53 AM
Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System (the one used on Call of Cthulhu) is d100-based and can handle pretty much anything.

I am sure the basic rulebook includes modern era weapons and equipment (at work so I can't check my copy) but I don't know if there are any specific modern settings for it.

One thing to watch out for - there are multiple different types of d100 settings - Rolemaster, Call of Cthulhu and Lost Souls all were primarily d100 systems and all totally different mechanics.

Chaosium's BRP is a "percentage chance to succeed" system if that helps.

Uncle Pine
2015-07-01, 09:09 AM
I'll have a look at those, thank you all! The lack of a specific setting attached to the system isn't an issue either, because I'll use the real world as setting for this one.

Knaight
2015-07-01, 12:58 PM
There are tons of these, though I can't say I'd recommend any of them.

Mutazoia
2015-07-02, 09:00 AM
Honestly, IMHO, the best d100 modern system was Top Secret/SI (you can still find a few copies floating around the web).