PDA

View Full Version : (Almost) Fully Statting a Human Being

wkwkwkwk1
2015-07-01, 07:18 AM
Hello, everyone!

One thing that has always bugged me about most RPG systems is that they always bunch Agility and Dexterity together, and the same for Stamina and Constitution.

Why? Well, someone can be unable to dodge an incoming blow, but still have great had-eye coordination, and be capable of incredibly precise finger motion and tool use. Or, someone might be a marathon runner, and fall dead upon being punched, or catch diseases very easily.

Of course, this is done because keeping track of twenty scores is obviously more difficult than keeping track of four or six stats.

Still, it would be fun to think about.

My question is: are there any systems which allow full, accurate statting of a human being? If not, then what could further complete the list below?

So, these are the stats I could come up with:

Strength: How strong a character is. To be more accurate, it should be split into upper/medium/lower body strength, or even muscle groups, but let's not go into such detail
Dexterity: Hand-to-eye coordination. Helps with, say, picking locks
Agility: How fast and quick the character is. Helps with running and dodging blows
Constitution: How hardy and resilient the character is. Helps the character not to break bones or catch diseases. This could be split into physical resistance to damage and resistance to poisoning and diseases
Endurance/Stamina: How long can the character exert itself without getting tired, and how well it resists fatigue
Intelligence: Speed and efficiency of thought. Determines learning speed, problem solving, and memory
Willpower: Resistance to assaults of the mind. Helps resist, say, depression
Perception: Pretty obvious. Split into Sight and Hearing. Of course, sight could also be divided into distances, but no
Empathy: Helps sense someone's emotional state and detect lies
Charisma: Kinda obvious, I'd say

For a total of ten stats. Not too much, after all. I'd say I still missed a bunch of variables, though. What else is there to stat?

wkwkwkwk1

Amechra
2015-07-01, 09:55 PM
Try GURPS with all of the optional rules.

Calculating your attack roll with a ranged weapon takes into account wind resistance and the curvature of the earth.

While it technically groups gross physical Dexterity with manual Dexterity, the way the skill system works obviates that - it's probably the only system where I have ever seen skills for kissing and getting dressed.

Also, you missed a few:

Comeliness: You said you wanted to stat out a human being in full.
Composure: The ability to control your own emotions. No, you don't get to shove this one in with Willpower (same reason as why you had problems with Dexterity.)
Coordination: No, you don't get away with shoving this in with Agility.
Gender: Measures your adherence to your expected gender role - this being one of the few semi-universal cultural roles we can point to.

Also, "most"? I assume you actually mean "most systems I have heard of" - there are tons of systems that don't use ability scores at all.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-07-02, 04:39 AM
Try GURPS with all of the optional rules.

Calculating your attack roll with a ranged weapon takes into account wind resistance and the curvature of the earth.

While it technically groups gross physical Dexterity with manual Dexterity, the way the skill system works obviates that - it's probably the only system where I have ever seen skills for kissing and getting dressed.

Also, you missed a few:

Comeliness: You said you wanted to stat out a human being in full.
Composure: The ability to control your own emotions. No, you don't get to shove this one in with Willpower (same reason as why you had problems with Dexterity.)
Gender: Measures your adherence to your expected gender role - this being one of the few semi-universal cultural roles we can point to.

Also, "most"? I assume you actually mean "most systems I have heard of" - there are tons of systems that don't use ability scores at all.

Wow, I had never heard of those optional rules :smalltongue:

Can I get away shoving Comeliness into Charisma? :smalltongue:

Could you please tell me more about Composure? I think I get it more or less, but I'm not sure :smallredface:

I think I get Coordination: One may be able to jump across roofs and dodge an incoming bullet (yes, yes, I know it's impossible), but suck at dancing. Is that it?

Gender makes sense, is there any system with more detailed rules for it?

Also, yes, only the few I know of :smallredface:

That's why I'm going to read some GURPS now! :smalltongue:

Thanks for the reply!

Takewo
2015-07-02, 06:05 AM
Rolemaster also had an awful load of abilities.

nonsi
2015-07-02, 06:46 AM
Intuition.

nonsi
2015-07-02, 06:49 AM

How do you separate Coordination from Dexterity ?
AFAIK, Dexterity is hand-eye Coordination.

Bruno Carvalho
2015-07-02, 08:37 AM
What's your intention behind this, besides being detailed for detail's sake?

wkwkwkwk1
2015-07-02, 09:50 AM
What's your intention behind this, besides being detailed for detail's sake?

Satisfying my curiosity, I guess? :smalltongue:

Amechra
2015-07-02, 04:27 PM
How do you separate Coordination from Dexterity ?
AFAIK, Dexterity is hand-eye Coordination.

Dexterity actually has three things:

Fine Motor Skills (Dexterity)
Physical Coordination (Coordination)
Agility (Agility)

People tend to lump Fine Motor Skills and Physical Coordination, but there's a difference between having a kinaesthetic sense and being able to thread a needle.

If you roll Comeliness in with Charisma, then Henry Kissinger is a stud.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Henry_Kissinger.jpg

OMG SO SEXAY.

Joking aside, looking nice really has nothing to do with force of personality and leadership skills.

Composure is general anger management and the ability to stay stoic in the face of stressors. Someone with strong Composure is good at hiding and controlling their emotions, while Willpower is something similar but separate.

I can't think of any system that stats out your social role and comfort within that role. I had some ideas kicking around a while ago for a homebrew system where your place in society was the core stat.

Basically, if you had it high, you could do what society expected of you more easily; you'd adhere to the law, make the right social choices, etc, etc. As it dropped, though, you got better at taking socially unacceptable actions, like theft or murder.

Your job in society tweaked what actions were considered "Night" actions (socially acceptable actions were Day actions, while those that were unacceptable were Night actions), so Soldiers would treat killing people when ordered to as a Day action, while disobeying an order from a superior was a Night action. Stuff like that.

You could adapt that kinda thing for a Gender stat.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-07-02, 05:12 PM
Dexterity actually has three things:

Fine Motor Skills (Dexterity)
Physical Coordination (Coordination)
Agility (Agility)

People tend to lump Fine Motor Skills and Physical Coordination, but there's a difference between having a kinaesthetic sense and being able to thread a needle.

If you roll Comeliness in with Charisma, then Henry Kissinger is a stud.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Henry_Kissinger.jpg

OMG SO SEXAY.

Joking aside, looking nice really has nothing to do with force of personality and leadership skills.

Composure is general anger management and the ability to stay stoic in the face of stressors. Someone with strong Composure is good at hiding and controlling their emotions, while Willpower is something similar but separate.

I can't think of any system that stats out your social role and comfort within that role. I had some ideas kicking around a while ago for a homebrew system where your place in society was the core stat.

Basically, if you had it high, you could do what society expected of you more easily; you'd adhere to the law, make the right social choices, etc, etc. As it dropped, though, you got better at taking socially unacceptable actions, like theft or murder.

Your job in society tweaked what actions were considered "Night" actions (socially acceptable actions were Day actions, while those that were unacceptable were Night actions), so Soldiers would treat killing people when ordered to as a Day action, while disobeying an order from a superior was a Night action. Stuff like that.

You could adapt that kinda thing for a Gender stat.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Dienekes
2015-07-02, 05:22 PM
Man, this way leads to madness. Especially when you want to be very complete and figure out all the various muscle groups you have and determine how strong they are, their specific endurance, how quick they can move, and more. Every part of your body needs a Strength, Constitution, Fine Motor, and Coordination skill. Some should have Agility, and even comeliness (you ever see someone with nice legs, but an ugly face?)

Also, don't knock The Kissinger, appartently he was quite the ladies man. When your Charisma is that high, you don't even need a Comeliness stat.