PDA

View Full Version : Optimization (Pathfinder) Inquisitor/ Summoner build?

Sniper Pug
2015-07-01, 10:39 AM
So, an interesting development came into my recent campaign; we thought we'd only go to about level 5-10, more of a short game. What has happened instead has blown me and my players out of the water, so we're taking a moment to readjust. Now I've managed to get most of the campaign reset and redesigned to fit the fact that they'll likely go to epic, but one of my players is having a bit of issues with his now extended character levels. He wants to multiclass into Summoner, and I'm more than willing to let him, but I want to know if its affable. He's new to pathfinder, and I think the Eidolon, while being the feature that drew him to it, is a bit daunting to him. Any chance we can help him out with his build?

Currently he's only a Level 8 LG Tiefling Inquisitor (Oni-spawn)

His stats are as follows

20 str, 15 dex, 16 con, 12 int, 18 wis, 14 cha (he rolled pretty well.)

Feats are;
Fiendish Heritage
Power attack
Furious Focus
Shake it off(bonus)
Precise Strike (bonus)

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-01, 10:41 AM
Inquisitor/Summoner doesn't work. Neither of those classes wants to multiclass, because they're both full of features that scale with class level. The eidolon in particular will be useless if it has 1 HD and you're all level 9.

Sniper Pug
2015-07-01, 10:52 AM
That's what I figured, but I don't know what to do as an alternative. Leadership is a good feat, and even a solid option for this campaign later, but I know how broken it can get.

Geddy2112
2015-07-01, 11:05 AM
Yeah, summoner just does not work with inquisitor. Both classes have vastly different ability score abilities, and as said the eidolon won't scale. If your player wants a buddy however, he is in luck. You could allow him to change his domain to animal, which would net him an animal companion(at level 5) or take a level in cleric to get the domain. Both cleric and inquisitor are wisdom based; he would gain some channeling and flexible spell slots. Best of all, cleric and inquisitor levels stack for the purposes of domain abilities, so the animal companion would keep pace(somewhat) with the party. Animal companions are also much easier to manage than eidolons. I suggest the feather subdomain for a sweet perception bonus, fly as a class skill and +2 to initiative checks in surprise rounds.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-01, 11:07 AM
Well I was going to suggest letting him retroactively VMC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Variant-Multiclassing) into Summoner, but it sucks... horribly. I guess you could houserule something like a feat so he can Summon the eidolon more than once per day or maybe allow him to spend Judgement uses (or Bane rounds) to power it.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-01, 11:16 AM
Well I was going to suggest letting him retroactively VMC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Variant-Multiclassing) into Summoner, but it sucks... horribly. I guess you could houserule something like a feat so he can Summon the eidolon more than once per day or maybe allow him to spend Judgement uses (or Bane rounds) to power it.

Thanks for reminding me! If OP is open to homebrew, I've made a feat (Unusual Ally (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?388893-Unusual-Ally-feat)) that grants an Eidolon (albeit with about half as many evolution points) to the character who takes it. It's for people who want a custom pet but don't want anything else from the Summoner class. Note that it uses the standard Eidolon rules, not the Unchained ones, so you don't need to pick an outsider subtype.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-01, 11:31 AM
I'll be honest, that is a really powerful feat, incredibly awesome and I already have some build ideas that could use incredibly well (I was thinking on how to make a FE Wyvern Rider, Warlord Hussar+ Unusual Ally = Happy Dusk), but I don't think too many DM's would be willing to let someone pick an iconic class feature for a single feat, ( it would comparable to picking full SA progression with just a feat... actually scratch that, Unusual Ally is a lot stronger than that).

Personally I would use the rules for it instead of the normal Summoner VMC features. It would still be a strong VMC, but I think it would be easier to sell to most DM's.

Sniper Pug
2015-07-01, 11:44 AM
I'd be willing to give him that feat. He doesn't really build to be real optimized, so I'm not worried that he'll break the game. He more takes an idea and runs with it. This guy made a Goliath War Hulk that eventually gained the Saint template through RP opportunities. One second he's grappling dragons or taking out waves of enemies, next he's volunteering to repair buildings, building soup kitchens, and setting the path for future paladins. Because why not? Nishant is a crazy dude xD

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-01, 12:26 PM
I'd be willing to give him that feat. He doesn't really build to be real optimized, so I'm not worried that he'll break the game. He more takes an idea and runs with it. This guy made a Goliath War Hulk that eventually gained the Saint template through RP opportunities. One second he's grappling dragons or taking out waves of enemies, next he's volunteering to repair buildings, building soup kitchens, and setting the path for future paladins. Because why not? Nishant is a crazy dude xD

Sounds like a fun character.

Also, I'm glad to hear you like the feat! It's nice to see my homebrew get some use.