PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Giantbane" feat

Hal0Badger
2015-07-01, 04:38 PM
I have a question about Giantbane (CW, pg.111). Here is the description of first maneuver:

"Duck Underneath: To use this maneuver, you must have taken a total defense action, then have been attacked by a foe at least two size categories larger than you. You gain a +4 dodge bonus to your Armor Class, which stacks with the bonus for total defense. If that foe misses you, on your next turn, as a free action, you may make a DC 15 Tumble check. If the check succeeds, you move immediately to any unoccupied square on the opposite side of the foe (having successfully ducked underneath your foe). If there is no unoccupied square on the opposite side of the foe or you fail the Tumble check, you remain in the square you are in and have failed to duck underneath your foe."

To have this benefit, should my opponent miss "all of his attacks", or just missing 1 attack is enough?

Flickerdart
2015-07-01, 04:48 PM
As soon as the enemy misses you, the condition is satisfied. It does not require that the foe does not hit you at all.

Hal0Badger
2015-07-02, 01:44 AM
Well, thank you. It would be nice if the feat allowed me to roll immediately after enemy miss, but this will suffice as well I think. I hope I can convince my Dm to work on 1 size category larger creatures, rather than 2.

XionUnborn01
2015-07-02, 03:53 AM
Well, thank you. It would be nice if the feat allowed me to roll immediately after enemy miss, but this will suffice as well I think. I hope I can convince my Dm to work on 1 size category larger creatures, rather than 2.

That would make it immensely more powerful than it is. Granted it's still not a super overpowered feat but that's a significant boost to the ability.

Hal0Badger
2015-07-02, 05:39 AM
That would make it immensely more powerful than it is. Granted it's still not a super overpowered feat but that's a significant boost to the ability.
Which one? Making it work against Large, or moving right after opponent misses?

Killer Angel
2015-07-02, 05:57 AM
That would make it immensely more powerful than it is (snip)

...'til the point that it becomes vaguely playable. :smalltongue:

XionUnborn01
2015-07-02, 01:26 PM
Which one? Making it work against Large, or moving right after opponent misses?
Making it work against large. Because once you're like level 8 or so, that's basically every monster ever.

...'til the point that it becomes vaguely playable. :smalltongue:

Yeah, like I said, still not the most amazing feat but it is a significant boost to where it is at. I assumed that since the feat was being discussed, the OP must play at about the optimization level that makes it good or decent to use.

Hal0Badger
2015-07-02, 02:22 PM
Yeah, like I said, still not the most amazing feat but it is a significant boost to where it is at. I assumed that since the feat was being discussed, the OP must play at about the optimization level that makes it good or decent to use.

To be honest, I aim to low optimization, well-builded at best. This is why I go for Giantbane: I have no sneak attack or amazing AC score(fighter 7/barbarian5 (cityscape variant, with ferocity), but when a situation which I cannot charge to my large opponent raises, I would rather move near it, stay a turn in total defense (so I basically negate some of hit attacks, thanks to +8 armor), and get my attack in the next turn, with +4 to hit (since most of the large creatures have a dex of 10 ). Only good thing is for me, I can spend that +4 to my PA.

On my character, I use "Shock Trooper" (and have "Leap Attack" of course, but no Pounce, nor a Valorous weapon, +1 Dragonbane Keen Falchion) to bull rush enemies each other, make a trip attempt both (also got improved trip). I am what I call well-built, not optimized. This will be just a flavor for my character, nothing else.

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-02, 02:29 PM
hidden talent compression will get you two sizes of difference.

Also being a tibbit cat.

Hal0Badger
2015-07-02, 04:40 PM
hidden talent compression will get you two sizes of difference.

Also being a tibbit cat.

Well, that's not what I want though. I do not wish to play optimized character, besides I have been already playing this char about 20 months now, so level 1 feats are a bit out of question :P. thanks for the advice anyway.

XionUnborn01
2015-07-03, 01:44 AM
To be honest, I aim to low optimization, well-builded at best. This is why I go for Giantbane: I have no sneak attack or amazing AC score(fighter 7/barbarian5 (cityscape variant, with ferocity), but when a situation which I cannot charge to my large opponent raises, I would rather move near it, stay a turn in total defense (so I basically negate some of hit attacks, thanks to +8 armor), and get my attack in the next turn, with +4 to hit (since most of the large creatures have a dex of 10 ). Only good thing is for me, I can spend that +4 to my PA.

On my character, I use "Shock Trooper" (and have "Leap Attack" of course, but no Pounce, nor a Valorous weapon, +1 Dragonbane Keen Falchion) to bull rush enemies each other, make a trip attempt both (also got improved trip). I am what I call well-built, not optimized. This will be just a flavor for my character, nothing else.

Right, I totally get what you're saying which is why I brought it up before. If you're playing a game at the optimization level that makes this a worthwhile feat, changing it from 2 to 1 size category is a big boost. I'm not trying to say it makes it overly strong, I just wanted to make sure you realize that if you're medium it will be extremely common for creatures to be large or bigger, but huge creatures are slightly more rare and that makes the feat better. So talk it out with your DM but remember that large enemies start coming is at like CR 3 while huge enemies are generally later and fewer and far between.

Hal0Badger
2015-07-03, 03:08 AM
Right, I totally get what you're saying which is why I brought it up before. If you're playing a game at the optimization level that makes this a worthwhile feat, changing it from 2 to 1 size category is a big boost. I'm not trying to say it makes it overly strong, I just wanted to make sure you realize that if you're medium it will be extremely common for creatures to be large or bigger, but huge creatures are slightly more rare and that makes the feat better. So talk it out with your DM but remember that large enemies start coming is at like CR 3 while huge enemies are generally later and fewer and far between.

Yeah, I got you now. Though that is the point, I do not want a feat which will be useless for 80% of the game (just like blind-fight). However, another situation rises: If we make 1 size category difference, a halfling rogue can use this maneuver to sneak attack on medium creatures. Feat, as it is designed for small sized creatures I guess.

DM is agreed to make it work for 1 size category larger, but tumble DC would be 30 ( I have +16 tumble right now). I do not know should I get it or not for the next level, because even If I put all my skills(2 (fighter)+2(int)+1(human)=5) in tumble and rage (I get +4 dex while raging), I still got +23 tumble, which means 30% of fail. It will be a turn I did not attack if I cannot make that check.

jiriku
2015-07-03, 03:17 AM
A kobold rogue with the Slight Build feature counts as a Tiny creature and can thus use this against Medium opponents. Of note, while the feat doesn't come right out and say it, I think the opponent needs to remain next to you for you to use the feat. If it swings, misses, and then moves away, it's no bueno.