PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on dealing with a GM.

Thelastspartan
2015-07-02, 02:08 AM
Hello everyone, there is a difficult issue, I would like help. In fact I joined these forums just to ask about this.

DISCLAIMER: this happened in other site (so this isn't a complaint to anyone on this site).

I signed up to use Wondergirl on a game as I am a big fan of the character. I wanted to play her before she got her name as Wonder girl name.

I thought it would be cool if she,briefly. confused Big Barda (the game master's main character) instead of Diana (wonder woman) as her sister.

My character temporarily became the gm’s character Big Barda’s sidekick (because they think they're sisters). She calls herself "Little Barda". We have played some cute and heartwarming sister bonding moments and I had tons of fun.

We agreed it would be short term (a month at most). But the Dungeon Master is taking forever to end this plot (almost a year of real time) and I am tired of waiting.

I want my character to be wondergirl already ( I hate little Barda and the name is sticking with other players)...But I need him to introduce wonderwoman on the game for me to do it.

I told him I want to stop the plot already. But he insists it's too early for that and that he would introduce wonder woman soon( This happened 2 months ago)…

Worse of all, when he finally introduces Wonder Woman, my character becomes wondergirl she will look like a jerk for abandoning Barda( due to the fact that the fake sister plot is taking forever). One of the main plots is basically a set up to have Barda as feeling bad for being number 2 to Wonder Woman.

I feel disappointed and betrayed, but I am afraid to speak up as I wouldn't be playing wondergirl if he hadn't vouched for me to the Main game master and I am trying to be patient.

I would like some advice, as I have no idea on what to do :( and I want my character to be as I want her to be and not just used as means to make us feel sorry for another.

Vitruviansquid
2015-07-02, 02:22 AM
GMs always have a lot of balls in the air (this is a juggling analogy) at once. They need to worry about the arc of the campaign's overarching plot, all the little things their players say about the direction they want their character to take (can my character find true love? Can my character finally confront his enemy from his backstory? Can my character have sister confusion that gets resolved?), and all those times when the players made some powerful dude mad and thought they'd never see him again, and so on. It may be that your GM isn't *trying* to keep you in limbo here, but he is because getting you out of limbo is just low on a list of priorities, or he just legitimately forgets.

Try talking to your GM about the specifics, and set a time when he should bring your character's arc to a close.

Karl Aegis
2015-07-02, 02:58 AM
Go for the hug already.

AceOfFools
2015-07-04, 08:49 AM
GMs always have a lot of balls in the air (this is a juggling analogy) at once...

Aside: it makes me happy to see someone explain their idioms like this in a forum with nonnative speakers.

I will point out that you probably have some means of forcing the issue. Have your character wish your sister a happy birtday, only for it not to be Barda's birthday. Go through your stuff and find other evidence that you may not be sisters. Players can and should drive the plot.

I cannot say if this is the correct thing for you to do as I don't know your group's dynamics and relationships. I know that being assertive with the GM out of game would be the best answer in mine.

Anonymouswizard
2015-07-04, 09:33 AM
I agree with 'GMs have a lot on their plate' (which they can be juggling if it helps you understand or you think the image is funny), I once had a plot thread I wanted to finish within the month and the GM instead wove it into the campaign plot proper (my character was an ex-demon cultist, justifyiba social stigma, and the cult leader had never been caught). In this case it may be that he's concentrating too hard on his plot to weave in your plot, or that other players have more complex plots that he wants to finish first (I've seen this).

As a side note I'm suspicious of people not playing OCs, but you and your GM seem to have worked it out well, so power to you.