PDA

View Full Version : Carnage, anyone? [Spider-man]

Maerok
2007-04-28, 08:32 PM
I just picked up Ultimate Spider-man Volume 6 with Venom and it's pretty great stuff. Now I've found the Carnage one but I've seen mixed reviews on whether it can be read by itself. These would be the only two sets, but I've also played through the game so I've at least got that going for me.

Is it anything special or is it a pass?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-28, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Carnage isn't really all that spectacular: Just your average monster that kills people, really. There is, however, one important development in the story, and while you can get it pretty easily through the recap at the start of the next set (and it's not really that big as far as developments go), you may want to read it if you're the obsessive type, like me, who always has to follow the story continuously.

Otherwise...
Carnage kills Gwen Stacy. Yeah, she was just a secondary character (I'd call her tertiary if such a term existed), and she didn't really get a lot of sympathy--at least from me--but Peter feels pretty bad about it.

UglyPanda
2007-04-28, 09:46 PM
The ultimate versions of Carnage and Gwen Stacy just don't carry as much weight as the classic versions.

Beleriphon
2007-04-29, 08:58 PM
The ultimate versions of Carnage and Gwen Stacy just don't carry as much weight as the classic versions.

Given how incredibly stupid 616 Carnage is, not a huge loss there.

You get Venom as an evil Spider-Man, and then Carnage as an evil Venom? Lame.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-30, 01:38 AM
Was there ever a carnage that was more beef-cake, less venom, and looked like writhing cords of exposed muscle tissue and clay? Or is that a different villain?

anphorus
2007-04-30, 11:44 AM
Carnage kills Gwen Stacy. Yeah, she was just a secondary character (I'd call her tertiary if such a term existed), and she didn't really get a lot of sympathy--at least from me--but Peter feels pretty bad about it.

I'm a little behind in my Ult. Spiderman, but Doesn't it turn out later that Carnage becomes gwen Stacy? Or something.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-30, 12:17 PM
I'm a little behind in my Ult. Spiderman, but Doesn't it turn out later that Carnage becomes gwen Stacy? Or something.

You may be thinking of Clone Saga:
Doctor Octopus makes a Gwen Stacy clone because he's got a government contract and likes messing with Spidey. Carnage eventually becomes either Peter himself or Peter's father (I forget which, I think the latter), albeit unintelligent, but he's still just a one-shot villain.

Maerok
2007-04-30, 06:15 PM
Alright. Thanks for the info. Venom's always been my favorite comic book character. I don't think he's been done right for SM3, :smallfrown: artistic license be damned, but I'll still see the movie anyways. They could've CGIed some muscles on him or something... And they had to mess with the symbol and add some weird webbing detail, of course.

Comic (good):
Cool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VenomSBHImage.jpg)
Also cool (http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1104/venom_vol3.jpg)
Large and in charge (http://blogaboutyourblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/venom.gif)

Movie (not so good):
Seems oddly proportioned (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2006/11/07/venom-spiderman.jpg)
Reminds me of the Resident Evil 4 regenerators (http://www.monstersinmotion.com/catalog/images/anim/s3_rah_venom_01.jpg)

Mewtarthio
2007-05-01, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about the second image: It appears to be an action figure.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-16, 08:00 PM
Given how incredibly stupid 616 Carnage is, not a huge loss there.

You get Venom as an evil Spider-Man, and then Carnage as an evil Venom? Lame.

Hey now, lets be fair to the red guy. He's the closest thing that Spider-man gets to a Joker that really fits with the story. I'm pretty sure that if Carnage had been the original symbiote instead of Venom that people would like him a lot more then simply percieving him as a Venom rip-off.

Add to the fact that each time Carnage makes an appearence you know your getting a Spider-man/Venom/Maybe throw in some other super-heros team-up, you get a pretty neat villian. I mean hell, he's said to one of the more dangerous (Not power-wise, I mean with people like Galactus running around Carnage doesn't add up quite as high) villians of his general area (I'd put Marvel or DC here but I'm not sure which one it is and don't want to be crucefied.).

The fact he's Venom without a consience (or sanity) makes him even more appealing to me at least.

Gavin Sage
2007-05-16, 08:46 PM
You may be thinking of Clone Saga:
Doctor Octopus makes a Gwen Stacy clone because he's got a government contract and likes messing with Spidey. Carnage eventually becomes either Peter himself or Peter's father (I forget which, I think the latter), albeit unintelligent, but he's still just a one-shot villain.

You should read Ultimate Clone Saga again. Is worth it and right now USM is about the only thing holding the poor lost Ultimate line up.

But a correction:
An apparent clone of Gwen was combined with Carnage. I say apparent since freaky regen may have been at work as opposed to straight cloning. Probably something like Alien Ressurection with Ripley. Anyways "Richard Parker" was another Peter clone artifically aged to an adult with false memories and he dies from flaws in his make. Carnagwen meanwhile is hauled off by Nick Fury and in some scientific super cell most likely. She will be back.

Maerok
2007-05-16, 10:43 PM
Eh, I never take it too seriously when a comic character 'dies' anymore. They've got more deus ex going on than you can shake a stick at... If you can't clone them, go back in time and save them or something like that; if not, then that wasn't the real one to begin with. X_X