PDA

View Full Version : Good names for a female goddess

Reprimand
2015-07-02, 02:26 PM
Trying to make a female goddess of love, beauty, martyrs, peace and healing.

I'm having a very difficult time with this because I have trouble with names in general.

Everything I come up with sounds too mundane. Or too foreign sounding.

Can anyone give me some ideas or names that sound good or fitting?

Preferably a one word name.

Flickerdart
2015-07-02, 02:31 PM
I like using behind the name (http://www.behindthename.com/) for this sort of thing - it gives you name meanings, so you can just find one that means "love" or "beauty."

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-07-02, 02:33 PM
Ellenmare very elvish though so that might be a problem.

or

If your looking for a more human name why not Helen simple and foreign supposedly the worlds most beautiful women of her time to. Daughter of Zues and random mortal.

Urpriest
2015-07-02, 02:35 PM
What sort of culture does she come from?

Reprimand
2015-07-02, 02:43 PM
She's an elven goddess (forgot to mention race etc)

Beautiful woman born to a poor family with love for all living things eventually a war broken out and she died preventing the war she thought was immoral (because she loved all people even enemies of her nation) through martyring herself between two opposed forces which stunned the soldiers on both sides eventually resulting in preventing the battle from taking further lives and was solved peacefully, for her acts she accended to be a minor goddess of of the elven pantheon.

CG all about charity and equal treatment and love between any and all who choose to be together, etc

Honest Tiefling
2015-07-02, 02:54 PM
Tessara? Name I totes stole from the Pathfinder elven name section, but hopefully it isn't too mundane but not too weird either.

Urpriest
2015-07-02, 02:54 PM
She's an elven goddess (forgot to mention race etc)

Beautiful woman born to a poor family with love for all living things eventually a war broken out and she died preventing the war she thought was immoral (because she loved all people even enemies of her nation) through martyring herself between two opposed forces which stunned the soldiers on both sides eventually resulting in preventing the battle from taking further lives and was solved peacefully, for her acts she accended to be a minor goddess of of the elven pantheon.

CG all about charity and equal treatment and love between any and all who choose to be together, etc

If you're going for a fairly classical elven style, then something Finnish-sounding would probably work well, that was one of the inspirations for Tolkien's original setup. Heck, grabbing words from one of Tolkien's languages would also work. Anyway, here's an Elven name generator (http://fantasynamegenerators.com/elf_names.php#.VZWWw0aEKT8).

Of course, that depends on which culture you're basing your elves. If they're more Celtic, then that would lead to a different set of name styles.

Reprimand
2015-07-02, 03:25 PM
ugh I found the perfect name in the generator and accidentally skipped it.

It was like Alyn(other letters)a

Edit it was only like 3 other letters tops

Andreaz
2015-07-02, 03:32 PM
Trying to make a female goddess of love, beauty, martyrs, peace and healing.
""mother""

Urpriest
2015-07-02, 03:40 PM
ugh I found the perfect name in the generator and accidentally skipped it.

It was like Alyn(other letters)a

Edit it was only like 3 other letters tops

I mean, you can probably just plug a syllable in there and have it work.

Alynessa? Alyneia? Alynissa? Alynalla?

Etc. Generally double s, double l, or the ei sound are "elvish". Try to sound like a babbling brook.

Derpldorf
2015-07-02, 04:09 PM
Gazon'gaz'badon'kadonk

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-07-02, 04:22 PM
""mother""

Thee All Mother

SangoProduction
2015-07-02, 04:36 PM
btw, all goddesses are female :)

Amphetryon
2015-07-02, 04:45 PM
btw, all goddesses are female :)

Only if they follow typically delineated human gender concepts.

paranoidbox
2015-07-02, 05:06 PM
How about... Hieroglyphica.

SangoProduction
2015-07-02, 05:35 PM
Only if they follow typically delineated human gender concepts.

The definition of a goddess is a female god.
Unless you can find a married bachelor. ;)

Don't bother trying to find the definition for god though. No one's defined it yet in a dis-ambiguous way that also fits all deities once believed in, and still believed in to this day.

Rijan_Sai
2015-07-02, 05:36 PM
If you don't mind "borrowing" from other lore, the Elder Scrolls Names (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Names) page(s) might help. For elves, just look for any race with "-mer" in the name. (This tecnically includes orcs, which are known as "Orsimer," though they may not be appropriate for this character.)

paranoidbox
2015-07-03, 02:10 AM
Sesquipedaliana?

khadgar567
2015-07-03, 02:59 AM
I promote fellow forum mate talya the all mother of succubi as name idea

DMVerdandi
2015-07-03, 09:16 AM
Asta is norse for Divine Beauty

archon_huskie
2015-07-03, 09:19 AM
Naming characters is fun and agonizing.

Sure you want to pick a name that sounds great, but it is easy to over think it.

Tolkien was a Linguistics professor and literally made up his own languages for Middle Earth. You don't have to do that.

My method for Villains is to take the name of someone I don't like currently or a bully from school to use as a base name. So you could try a girl you've crushed on (if she's not in your gaming group cuz that could be awkward.)

I'll take one of my first crushes for example: Jessica. Now I want to doctor up the name a bit. In Arabic and Hebrew J's don't exist. they are pronounce like an H or a Y. So I will switch it to Yessica. El is an common prefix for deities in that region too. so now El-Yessica. I don't like the ca sound at the end breaks the flow of the name. So I will try different constants until I find one I like.

El-Yessica
El-Yessiba
El-Yessida
El-Yessiga
El-Yessifa
El-Yessila
El-Yessima
El-Yessina
El-Yessipa
El-Yessira
El-Yessisa
El-Yessita
El-Yessiva
El-Yessiza
El-Yessiwa

and there's a variety to pick from right there. I think I would go with El-Yessima. I like that best.

paranoidbox
2015-07-03, 09:27 AM
Legendaria.

RedMage125
2015-07-03, 12:18 PM
The definition of a goddess is a female god.
You missed his point, which was kind of a sly aside, that your statement hinges on assuming that human gender concepts have any meaning for a divine being. Once you realize that a god may not be limited by such mundane concepts, you then could have a being who is both genders, or neither, even at the same time. And at the point, the distinction between "god" and "goddess" is simply a matter of preference.

Also this: "succubus" is female and "incubus" is male, right? A succubus can assume a male form, and even impregnate a female. But remains a "succubus" and not an "incubus" even when in a male form.

Unless you can find a married bachelor. ;)
In the military, we have a concept called a "geo-bachelor", which is a married person whose spouse (for whatever reason) does not live with him or her. The "geo-bachelor" usually lives in Bachelor Housing, otherwise reserved for non-married military personnel.

paranoidbox
2015-07-03, 03:39 PM
Infiniraria?

BWR
2015-07-03, 04:44 PM
Thee All Mother

Typo? Spelling mistake? Missing comma?
I am confused.

On topic, Cecira (seh-SEE-raw) was the one we used in Hollow World for the exact same type of goddess as the OP has.

atemu1234
2015-07-03, 11:49 PM
I'm partial to Theah [Thay-uh].

Lady Serpentine
2015-07-04, 07:03 AM
Sapasc(a) comes to mind, but that's more a reference back to an old game I was in, since this sounds like a mix of my goddess and her brother, and they were Savorla and Pasc, respectively. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2015-07-04, 05:09 PM
For elven-sounding names, I recommend turning to Welsh. While Tolkien did indeed use Finnish, it was mostly for grammar in a number of his languages. Or you can just use Sindarin (or Quenya if you'd prefer) directly; there are dictionaries available online. Eleiwyn, Awanilia, Galadaran, Ilqwamile (this one is phonetically pretty much Quenyan for "all-mother" or so), etc. - take your pick.

Scorponok
2015-07-05, 02:13 AM
From your description, Lennhala would work, I think. If you want it to sound more traditionally Elvish, maybe add a ' to break it up.

Elves spell it Len'hala and humans spell it Lennhala or Len'halla.

Svata
2015-07-05, 03:16 AM
A name I've used before is Lyria or Lyriana.