PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need advice on a Monkey Goblin Unchained Rogue

5w337x7007h
2015-07-02, 08:08 PM
I'm making a Unchained Monkey Goblin Rogue, using the Scout Archetype, but I'm not sure if I should go for a ranged or melee build. The monkey goblin has a 30ft climb speed and a 20ft move speed. So I'll be doing a lot of climbing, and I'm thinking about having my goblin use drop-bear tactics. Deliberately fall and strike an enemy, then run away quickly.

Basically a standard action to drop and attack, followed by a move action to get away and do it again, or use the Roll With It feat, to avoid taking damage and get moved a good distance away, depending on the damage dealt.

Red Rubber Band
2015-07-02, 09:33 PM
You could take some Vile feats like Obesity and just fall on someone. Letting go of things is a free action, so just let go of the branch you're hanging off and fall on them.

Psyren
2015-07-03, 12:44 AM
You could take some Vile feats like Obesity and just fall on someone. Letting go of things is a free action, so just let go of the branch you're hanging off and fall on them.

Psst... Pathfinder tag.

I'm making a Unchained Monkey Goblin Rogue, using the Scout Archetype, but I'm not sure if I should go for a ranged or melee build. The monkey goblin has a 30ft climb speed and a 20ft move speed. So I'll be doing a lot of climbing, and I'm thinking about having my goblin use drop-bear tactics. Deliberately fall and strike an enemy, then run away quickly.

Basically a standard action to drop and attack, followed by a move action to get away and do it again, or use the Roll With It feat, to avoid taking damage and get moved a good distance away, depending on the damage dealt.

If you want to be a rogue that climbs on your foes, the Vexing Dodger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/vexing-dodger) archetype is made for that. This also gives you a reason to optimize climbing since you can climb in combat. Your racial climb speed will give you a +8 bonus, which along with Agile Maneuvers will let you defeat most opponents.

Red Rubber Band
2015-07-03, 12:45 AM
Psst... Pathfinder tag.

Aww, hell. 2nd time in 2 days I've done that :smallsigh:

5w337x7007h
2015-07-03, 01:27 AM
Vexing dodger sounds like a good idea, but the main part of the campaign is dealing with pirates. How would this work though, could I use a dirty trick to deny my enemy sneak attack? I need to figure a way to boost my dirty tricks in a major way like getting Agile Maneuvers.

1- Combat Expertise
2- Improved Dirty Trick
3- Agile Maneuvers
5- Improved Trip or Disarm
7- Dodge
9- Mobility
11- Greater Dirty Trick
13- Greater Trip or Disarm

I could snag up Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge at 4th and 10th, which would cost two Rogue Talents, but worth it in case we run into rogues, which pirates tend to be. I could grab Fast Stealth at 6th and Expert Leaper at 8th.

Psyren
2015-07-03, 10:56 AM
Dirty Trick can be used to blind, which gives you total concealment against them, therefore they won't be able to sneak attack you. It also causes them to lose their dex bonus against you, though keep in mind that enemy rogues will likely have Uncanny Dodge. Vexing Dodgers also get an untyped bonus = half your level on Dirty Trick attempts.

Get Quick Dirty Trick (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quick-dirty-trick-combat) asap, that should be your level 9 feat (or you can get it at 8 with the Combat Trick rogue talent.)

5w337x7007h
2015-07-03, 04:06 PM
How's that look then? My GM mentioned a 15 point buy, so I'm running with that for now, but until I can actually get with him and roll my stats. Hopefully I'm right in assuming that Disarm is better than Trip in this situation, because an unarmed enemy is easier to deal with than an armed one.

1- Combat Expertise
2- Improved Dirty Trick
3- Agile Maneuvers
5- Improved Disarm
7- Dodge
9- Quick Dirty Trick
11- Greater Dirty Trick
13- Mobility
15- Greater Disarm

Psyren
2015-07-03, 05:09 PM
If all your enemies are going to be pirates then yeah, disarm is better. Against monsters with natural attacks though - such as most things that live in the water - disarm is going to be useless. So plan accordingly.

Can I ask what Dodge and Mobility are for? With good acrobatics you won't need them, and you want good acrobatics on a pirate ship anyway.

5w337x7007h
2015-07-03, 05:51 PM
I imagine when I move with the guy I'm going to end up riding, I might end up provoking AoO because of the bad guy's movement, so Dodge and Mobility are to boost my AC vs that situation. Though I realize it is situation-specific.

When I'm climbing on an enemy, the enemy I'm climbing gets negatives to hit me, not his allies, So maybe the Roll With It feat would be better than Dodge and Mobility? How about this instead?

1- Combat Expertise
2- Improved Dirty Trick
3- Agile Maneuvers
5- Improved Disarm
7- Roll With It
9- Quick Dirty Trick
11- Greater Dirty Trick
13- Greater Disarm