PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Laughing Dragon. Character Applications

Arjen the Red
2015-07-02, 10:07 PM
Post your character applications here and a link to your sheet.

YossarianLives
2015-07-11, 09:56 PM
I've been searching for an old-school game for months and am delighted to come upon this. I am available to post once (if not more) per day. I've never played BFRPG before, but I can teach myself the rules. I should be able to post my character by tomorrow night, if not sooner.

I'm really excited!

EDIT

Strength: (3d6)[8]
Dexterity: (3d6)[11]
Constitution: (3d6)[9]
Intelligence: (3d6)[9]
Wisdom: (3d6)[13]
Charisma: (3d6)[12]

Money: (3d6)[100]

HP for second level: (1d4)[2]

Ski-Bird
2015-07-12, 07:56 AM
Definitely interested. I love the old school feel lately. I don't really have a fleshed out concept, but it will be something suitably archetypal.

Here are the rolls (<-- they might even help me figure out the character. I love the roll 'em straight method for these old school games):

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Alright, so with rolls like that … here is what I'm thinking:

Worrin, Human Fighter. Worrin is a large framed man in his early twenties. He is quick to laugh, likable, and for the most part easy going. He abandoned his rural lifestyle in favor of seeking fame and adventure. He grabbed up a sword and shield and never looked back. An illiterate peasant, he is far from book smart … but he's got a bit of common sense. He also has a lazy streak a mile wide and prefers quick, simple shortcuts over long and complicated tasks (<--- and he tires easily, CON 5!).

This mindset informs his fighting style. He'll try to talk himself out of trouble if he can (hey, talking is easier than fighting!). If it's going to be a fight though and if he thinks he can win ... Worrin goes all-in, and will attempt to win early. Long, drawn out combats are not really his thing.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-12, 08:49 AM
Some more rolls for Worrin:

Starting wealth, [roll0] x10
2nd Level hp, [roll1]

And a finished sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=273663)!

Arjen the Red
2015-07-12, 08:51 AM
Excellent! Thank you both.

I'll start getting all of the opening details together and ready to go.

YossarianLives
2015-07-12, 01:09 PM
Here is my character Imilon Swordnose (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=273246), a human thief.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-13, 03:00 PM
In the interest of getting the game up and running, I propose starting with the two of you and adding in a third character when/if they arrive. I can adjust the difficulty to match the party.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-13, 04:03 PM
Sounds good to me.

@Masterkerfuffle, I saw that both our guys have pretty much the same background. "Grew up rural … didn't like it. Decided to be adventurers instead."

They even share a trait somewhat in common; Imilon's frivolous slacker attitude vs. Worrin's mile-wide lazy streak.

You want to have our guys be from the same small village? Maybe they were pals or something and decided that fortune and glory was way better than scratching in the dirt like our fathers did.

(Worrin could be the brawn to Imilon's brain :smallcool: )

YossarianLives
2015-07-13, 07:33 PM
Sounds good to me.

@Masterkerfuffle, I saw that both our guys have pretty much the same background. "Grew up rural … didn't like it. Decided to be adventurers instead."

They even share a trait somewhat in common; Imilon's frivolous slacker attitude vs. Worrin's mile-wide lazy streak.

You want to have our guys be from the same small village? Maybe they were pals or something and decided that fortune and glory was way better than scratching in the dirt like our fathers did.

(Worrin could be the brawn to Imilon's brain :smallcool: )
Sounds good to me. I love the idea of a bunch of lazy slackers travelling around the countryside going on adventures.

Also I only have 9 intelligence so I guess we're lacking in the brains department.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-13, 07:53 PM
Okay, two low INT characters trying to save the countryside! This will be fun!

Ski-Bird
2015-07-13, 08:14 PM
Haha, yup. The 3d6 roll'em straight method is as old-school as it gets … sometimes you get a few duds. Good thing is, however, that each stat has so very little to do with the game (when compared with later editions anyway).

Arjen the Red
2015-07-13, 08:19 PM
Well, except for the role playing portion of it all! That 5 INT is going to be highly entertaining.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-13, 08:54 PM
Right, right. I meant very little mechanically. This guy's going to be pretty dim.

YossarianLives
2015-07-13, 09:47 PM
I actually quite like the old-school style of mixing the player's creativity with random chance. It make's for some truly fun and original characters.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-13, 10:32 PM
... That 5 INT is going to be highly entertaining.

Yeah, but Worrin won't get the joke. :smallbiggrin:

Arjen the Red
2015-07-13, 10:39 PM
Yeah, but Worrin won't get the joke. :smallbiggrin:

That's okay, we'll all just laugh behind his back!

Arjen the Red
2015-07-16, 11:00 AM
The background and opening posts are now live! Welcome to the game.

IC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427616-Tales-from-the-Laughing-Dragon-Chapter-1-Fonkin-(IC)&p=19540985#post19540985)

Krull
2015-07-16, 11:42 AM
Hurray for following the wrong thread, doing nothing in terms of making a character due to not knowing there was any interest, and then missing the start of the game! :smallannoyed::smallsigh:

Anyways, some rolls:
STR: [roll0]
DEX: [roll1]
CON: [roll2]
INT: [roll3]
WIS: [roll4]
CHA: [roll5]

Gold: [roll6] x 10

Wis 12? Good enough for a cleric, although it's going to be another human, seeing as I don't fancy a halfling and don't qualify for the other two.

Krull
2015-07-16, 01:45 PM
Second level health [roll0]

And once I put that on, it should be done. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=278360) Let me know if anything needs to be changed/added.

Edit: Wow... combined with my Con score, this is one fragile Cleric...

Arjen the Red
2015-07-16, 04:00 PM
Hurray for following the wrong thread, doing nothing in terms of making a character due to not knowing there was any interest, and then missing the start of the game! :smallannoyed::smallsigh:

Anyways, some rolls:

Gold: [roll6] x 10

Wis 12? Good enough for a cleric, although it's going to be another human, seeing as I don't fancy a halfling and don't qualify for the other two.

I'll take the blame on that one as I had two game advert threads going. I'm just glad we have a party together to play it!

Arjen the Red
2015-07-16, 04:16 PM
For everyone's benefit, the rules state that if you add up all the modifiers for your character stats and the result is negative you can roll again. Zero or positive is worth playing. In the sake of time, if your modifiers are negative, you may change the lowest stat to bring it to zero. I've heard this rule set can be unforgiving otherwise!

But, if you'd prefer to play as is, have at it!

Krull
2015-07-16, 04:29 PM
In the sake of time, if your modifiers are negative, you may change the lowest stat to bring it to zero.

So I can boost my 5 in Con to a 9 to get rid of that horrible -2 penalty then? (Leaving me with a -1 for Int and a +1 for Dex, everything else at 0, which balances) Because I'm not going to say no to that.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-16, 06:25 PM
Phew, I'm glad you said something! This whole roll 'em straight thing was easier to like before I got two fives. I would like to reroll.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Ski-Bird
2015-07-16, 06:33 PM
Hmm … that certainly changes the big dumb fighter concept. I'll retool the concept and get something up tonight.

EDIT — Nah … you know what, I want to play Worrin. Same guy, same background. Let's just say that instead of dumb and lazy and unsuited to farm life … he was smart and lazy and unsuited to farm life (<--- of the 'I think I'm better than this' variety). So he picked up a sword and shield and went to seek his fame and fortune.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-17, 10:03 AM
A quick request to everyone please:

Put your characters name in bold at the top of each post and have it link to your character sheet. It will just speed things up for me greatly!

Thank you!

HolyCouncilMagi
2015-07-18, 09:33 AM
Hey! You guys aren't very far along yet, but three players and a DM does seem plenty for PbP, so... I'm going to go ahead and ask if it would be alright for me to join in, and then just hope for the best despite the unlikelihood, because I doubt I'd be able to find anybody else to play this with. Can I roll up and join in? :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Arjen the Red
2015-07-18, 01:33 PM
Hey! You guys aren't very far along yet, but three players and a DM does seem plenty for PbP, so... I'm going to go ahead and ask if it would be alright for me to join in, and then just hope for the best despite the unlikelihood, because I doubt I'd be able to find anybody else to play this with. Can I roll up and join in? :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Hello HCM!

Thank you for your interest. I'm only able to juggle 3 PCs well in PbP gaming. Please stick around in case we need a replacement at any point. You'll be first in line for the next game I run after this one finishes as I am finding I like using these older, simpler rules for PbP

Regards,

Arjen

HolyCouncilMagi
2015-07-18, 01:43 PM
D'oh! I suppose this was the most likely outcome. Well, I'll watch your game as it progresses, if you don't mind, and I'll definitely stay on retainer for your next game (or a replacement for this one, should that be necessary).

Arjen the Red
2015-07-18, 01:51 PM
D'oh! I suppose this was the most likely outcome. Well, I'll watch your game as it progresses, if you don't mind, and I'll definitely stay on retainer for your next game (or a replacement for this one, should that be necessary).

As I said, your first in line!

Thank you for understanding.

bean illus
2015-08-04, 12:08 AM
:smallannoyed: ......I Wanna play! :smallfurious:

I keep getting to the list too late. Darn it.

I'll go read the ruleset. Keep me posted.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-05, 10:25 AM
:smallannoyed: ......I Wanna play! :smallfurious:

I keep getting to the list too late. Darn it.

I'll go read the ruleset. Keep me posted.

I'm happy to see more interest! I have another game I am running that is about to die so I may start another BFRPG here. I'll let you know if it happens and you'll be second in line!

Dexam
2015-10-09, 03:56 AM
This looks like some old-school type fun! Potentially interested...

STR: [roll0] -1
DEX: [roll1] -2
CON: [roll2] +1
INT: [roll3] 0
WIS: [roll4] 0
CHA: [roll5] +1

Total modifiers of -1; I believe that qualifies for a re-roll?

Dexam
2015-10-09, 04:02 AM
Re-rolling...

Hmm, not bad at all. Maybe a Dwarf or an Elf to balance the Humans in the group? That high Dexterity is making me lean towards Elf...