PDA

View Full Version : [Realms Lore] Do the Zhents still hold Darkhold? Also, other questions

Coidzor
2015-07-02, 10:19 PM
Either as of last we know from 4e or whatever the current date is after Mystra died and came back for 5e, depending upon what the current situation is as far as what's been updated.

I've seen some suggestions that the Zhentarim were destroyed and then remade from the bit about "The Five Factions. (https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/factions)" As well as seeing some maps that indicated that the area around Zhentil Keep and its neighbouring city states had been reduced to a bunch of ruins.

Do the Zhentarim still exist as a military/governmental organization or are they largely back to being an underground network of corrupt merchants with some mercenary contracting?

If the Zhents still control Darkhold and the area around it, where's the nearest place to that where there'd be Orc tribes that aren't already all working for the Zhents or running away after leaving Zhentarim employ?

Also, Half-Orcs: Do they make half-orcs when crossed with other half-orcs in the realms/this edition?

DragonLordIT
2015-07-03, 01:39 AM
The complete campaign setting is not out yet, nor we know if it will be done, so the answer is simple (I think): Do as you like. :smallwink::smallwink:
Do you need Darkhold to be a ruin infested with Zhent ghosts, zombies and vampires of the last true members of the original organization? Do it
Do you want it to be a secret cove for the real masters of the new organization? Do it
Are the new Zhents trying to get it back from its new inhabitants? Let's play it...

eastmabl
2015-07-03, 02:50 AM
Also, Half-Orcs: Do they make half-orcs when crossed with other half-orcs in the realms/this edition?

What do you want them to make? More half orcs or orc-y looking humans are probably your choices.

If it's the former, just use half-orcs. If it's the latter, use humans but include your orcish heritage as a flaw.

Dimolyth
2015-07-03, 05:33 PM
About half-orcs - I`m pretty sure that a child of two half orcs will be half orcs. There are cities of them after all... Palishkuk in Vaasa for example.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-03, 05:40 PM
What do you want them to make? More half orcs or orc-y looking humans are probably your choices.

If it's the former, just use half-orcs. If it's the latter, use humans but include your orcish heritage as a flaw.

I was under the impression that you had to be 50% orc or more to be a half-orc (though I can't recall where I got this impression). That means that even the least orcish of 'true' half-orcs would have a good chance of producing half-orc children and an outside chance at producing a pure orc. Since it can be assumed that most half-orcs are comfortably above the 50% threshold, the probability of half-orc offspring is going to be pretty high in most cases.

Do the Zhentarim still exist as a military/governmental organization or are they largely back to being an underground network of corrupt merchants with some mercenary contracting?

From what I understand, they're back to being an underground network. That seems to be the way they're presented in HotDQ, and 5e is clearly aimed at the 'nostalgic for AD&D' market...

Coidzor
2015-07-04, 01:09 AM
About half-orcs - I`m pretty sure that a child of two half orcs will be half orcs. There are cities of them after all... Palishkuk in Vaasa for example.

That's what I thought, but I didn't know how FR did it and I hadn't heard of that place before. So thank you for that. :smallsmile:

I have a new component to my backstory now. :smallsmile: