PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feats in Wild Shape

Martial_law
2015-07-03, 12:29 AM
Do feats that I have carry into wild shape? I.E. metamagics, Imp Init?

Also if I took scent as a feat and became a wolf, would I then get scent, or does the scent feat only work as a human, and when Im a wolf, Im out of luck?

Venger
2015-07-03, 12:48 AM

Also if I took scent as a feat and became a wolf, would I then get scent, or does the scent feat only work as a human, and when Im a wolf, Im out of luck?

Yes.

Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
(emphasis mine)

you have it as long as the duration's going:

You retain this benefit regardless of what form you are in.

Necroticplague
2015-07-03, 01:15 AM

Yes. Wild Shape is based off Alternate Form, which explicitly says you keep feats. Even if it didn't explicitely say so, it would still be the case, though, because the default for feats is 'as long as you meat the prereq, you keep it', and this continues unless overidden by something else.

Ogh_the_Second
2015-07-03, 04:06 AM
On the downside, though, you do not gain any of the new form's non-bonus feats.

So, turning into a wolf, you would get the benefit of TrackB, but not Weapon Focus (bite).

eggynack
2015-07-03, 04:16 AM
On the downside, though, you do not gain any of the new form's non-bonus feats.

So, turning into a wolf, you would get the benefit of TrackB, but not Weapon Focus (bite).
You would gain neither, as nothing in alternate form says you do gain them. It's plausible you could get the bonus feats with enhance wild shape, if you consider them extraordinary special qualities, but it's a bit iffy.

Ogh_the_Second
2015-07-03, 06:08 AM
You would gain neither, as nothing in alternate form says you do gain them. It's plausible you could get the bonus feats with enhance wild shape, if you consider them extraordinary special qualities, but it's a bit iffy.

Ah... you're right; my bad.
I was basing the assumption on the pre-errata PHB text, which refers to Polymorph, and hence Alter Self, which mentions "racial bonus feats" as being gained.

Urpriest
2015-07-03, 10:40 AM
By the way, a general good rule of thumb is that you keep "hit dice stuff" no matter what form you're in, and can only gain stuff that doesn't come from hit dice from form-changing magic. If you don't know which stuff comes from hit dice, you should read my monster handbook, link in sig.