PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Divination

Shnigda
2015-07-03, 05:30 AM
Hey guys,
So I just realised that I probably don't know how to use spontaneous divination optimally or how to use it to know which spells to prepare for the day (if that's possible).
I know that it can be useful for things like see invisible and whatnot and meaning spell slots don't need to be taken up by divination spells when preparing.
How would I use spontaneous divination optimally and what are the best spells to use with it?

TheNivMizzet
2015-07-03, 07:39 AM
All the sight spells are good, read: True seeing and See Invisibility. When you need that one attack to hit you have true strike for rays and true casting for SR. When you're faced with different passage options there are a handful of spells which suggest the best route. At the end of the day use a clairvoyance to see if you will be ambushed during the night, if no then dump all of your spells into seeing tomorrows events so you can prepare accordingly. The same way that a cleric dumps all their left over spells into healing you spend all of yours divining outcomes for the party.
Also, if the GM lets you take Ultimate Magus you can double dip wizard casting progression.

Uncle Pine
2015-07-03, 08:48 AM
At low levels, I like using Locate Object (2nd level spell) instead of Locate Creature (4th level spell) to find someone by divining an object I know they have. For example, if I need to find the Barbarian, I can locate the Barbarian's axe.
Circle Dance is also extremely useful for tracking as it lacks a maximum range (although the target has to be alive and on the same plane as you).
If you plan to scry a lot, Uncanny Forethought is you best friend as Scrying and many other Divination spells have a casting time greater than 1 standard action.

Also, remember that Spontaneous Divination has been errataed so now you can only spontaneously cast any spell you know from the Divination school. This also means that you can only cast Sor/Wiz spells with it (unless you add other Divination spells to your list).

gorfnab
2015-07-03, 09:00 AM
The Unseen Seer prestige class adds divination spells from other classes to your spell list. Divine Insight, Hunters Eye, and Guidance of the Avatar are just some of the divination spell options from other classes that can be very useful when combined with Spontaneous Divination.

Story
2015-07-03, 04:46 PM
Just go through the list of all the Wizard Divination spells and find the ones that are worth the cost of learning and learn them. A lot of them are situational but still potentially useful, so it's not hard. Stuff like Alter Fortune isn't rally worth preparing, but it's a literal lifesaver.

atemu1234
2015-07-03, 11:50 PM
Just go through the list of all the Wizard Divination spells and find the ones that are worth the cost of learning and learn them. A lot of them are situational but still potentially useful, so it's not hard. Stuff like Alter Fortune isn't rally worth preparing, but it's a literal lifesaver.

Divinations in D&D have two settings - broken and unusable.