PDA

View Full Version : Pixie homebrew race feedback

Areinu
2015-07-03, 10:29 AM
One day I woke up and decided I want to play a pixie. My DM agreed, but I was tasked with creating the race. I would like to get some feedback on what I've got. It's based highly on version found on wizards forum, by user TheMidnightAge. I've added a bit of my own twist on things.

---

Pixie Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, your Charisma score increases by 1.

Alignment. Pixies tend to be good.

Size. Pixies stand just under a foot tall. Your size is Tiny.

Type. Pixies are fey, not humanoids.

Speed. 10 ft., flying 30 ft.

Magic Resistance. The pixie has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Pixie Dust. You know the druidcraft and dancing lights cantrips. You can use ounces of pixie dust equal to your level per day to cast following spells, provided you meet level requirements for them. Casting those spells costs 1 ounce of dust per spell level. You cannot use any of those spells more than once per day.

Level Spells
3rd detect good and evil, entangle, sleep(as 2nd level)
5th detect thoughts, phantasmal force
7th dispel magic(as 4th level), fl(as 4th level)
9th confusion(as 5th level), polymorph

Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and you require no components to cast these spells beyond your own pixie dust.

Superior Invisibility. You can use your action to magically turn invisible until you attack or cast a spell, or until your concentration ends (as if you were concentrating on a spell). Any equipment you wear or carry with you turns invisible as well. Your speed gets halfed during invisibility. Once you reach 3rd level, you can move with normal speed while invisible. Starting at 7th level, you can use our action to magically turn yourself, along with any equipment you're wearing or carrying, invisible until your concentration ends (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

Languages. You speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.

---

There are few issues I'm not sure on yet:
1) I don't know what age would be appropriate for pixies and their maturity(whatever pixies mean by maturity ;))
2) Invisibility is very potent for level 1 character, so I am not sure if limiting it by lowering the speed by half is enough. I think tiers for 3rd/7th level are alright. Savage Spiecies book gave invisibility to pixies at level 4, but it was more potent, as you could keep it forever without any drawbacks.
3) I am not sure yet about pixie ounces system. Maybe limiting it to (your level / 2) round up would be more balanced. Would allow pixie on level 9 to use confusion once and run out of dust, or sleep, detect thoughts and entangle. With your level / 2 maybe dropping "each spell once per day" requirement would be appropriate, since it shouldn't get out of hand. I hope.
4) Savage Spiecies pixies had low-light vision, so they might get darkvision here. Elves have it, and they are pretty close to fey. But the pixie already has a lot.
5) Probably something should be done about equipment. Limiting to light weapons and giving them ritual to shrink items seems to be common solution. Usually the items get back to normal size if away from pixie for too long. This could also use up pixie dust.

Also I'm not sure if this won't completely break everything, be completely out of whack and make other characters feel under-powered.

JNAProductions
2015-07-03, 10:33 AM
Holy hell this is overpowered. (And in the wrong forum-it should be moved to the Homebrew section.)

Aaraocokra get flight as there only racial. You've got enough abilities that even without flight it's too much.

I'd recomend going back to the drawing board and just completely reworking the Pixie.

Areinu
2015-07-03, 10:41 AM
Hmm, I forgot about Player's Companion for EE. Good idea to look there.

Can I somehow move my own topic to another section? I was looking for homebrew under Roleplaying then D&D and it never occurred me to look even higher. And since I saw whole thread on homebrewing magic items of little use here I thought it was right section.

JNAProductions
2015-07-03, 10:46 AM
What you do is you report your own thread and ask for it to be moved. It's pretty simple.

Also, I notice a lot of references to 3.P in your post. Do not reference 3.P when making 5E homebrew. It's a totally different system, and treating 5E like 3.P is laying a very bad foundation.

Ace Jackson
2015-07-03, 10:56 AM
Well, unless you want to build from the ground up you might try here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?417292-Ninja_Prawn-s-Fey-PC-Races-Project&highlight=fey

charlesk
2015-07-03, 11:21 AM
Holy hell this is overpowered.

I looked at it and my reaction was "why would I ever want to play anything but this?" :)

Areinu, there are two items in the DMG that grant at-will invisibility. They are both "legendary". Just to give you an idea of how powerful that is on its own in 5e...

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-03, 11:45 AM
One day I woke up and decided I want to play a pixie. My DM agreed, but I was tasked with creating the race. I would like to get some feedback on what I've got. It's based highly on version found on wizards forum, by user TheMidnightAge. I've added a bit of my own twist on things.

---

Pixie Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, your Charisma score increases by 1.

Alignment. Pixies tend to be good.

Size. Pixies stand just under a foot tall. Your size is Tiny.

Speed. 10 ft., flying 30 ft.

Magic Resistance. The pixie has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Pixie Dust. You know the druidcraft and dancing lights cantrips. You can use ounces of pixie dust equal to your level per day to cast following spells, provided you meet level requirements for them. Casting those spells costs 1 ounce of dust per spell level. You cannot use any of those spells more than once per day.

Level Spells
3rd detect good and evil, entangle, sleep(as 2nd level)
5th detect thoughts, phantasmal force
7th dispel magic(as 4th level), fl(as 4th level)
9th confusion(as 5th level), polymorph

Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and you require no components to cast these spells beyond your own pixie dust.

Superior Invisibility. You can use your action to magically turn invisible until you attack or cast a spell, or until your concentration ends (as if you were concentrating on a spell). Any equipment you wear or carry with you turns invisible as well. Your speed gets halfed during invisibility. Once you reach 3rd level, you can move with normal speed while invisible. Starting at 7th level, you can use our action to magically turn yourself, along with any equipment you're wearing or carrying, invisible until your concentration ends (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

---

There are few issues I'm not sure on yet:
1) I don't know what age would be appropriate for pixies and their maturity(whatever pixies mean by maturity ;))
2) Invisibility is very potent for level 1 character, so I am not sure if limiting it by lowering the speed by half is enough. I think tiers for 3rd/7th level are alright. Savage Spiecies book gave invisibility to pixies at level 4, but it was more potent, as you could keep it forever without any drawbacks.
3) I am not sure yet about pixie ounces system. Maybe limiting it to (your level / 2) round up would be more balanced. Would allow pixie on level 9 to use confusion once and run out of dust, or sleep, detect thoughts and entangle. With your level / 2 maybe dropping "each spell once per day" requirement would be appropriate, since it shouldn't get out of hand. I hope.
4) Savage Spiecies pixies had low-light vision, so they might get darkvision here. Elves have it, and they are pretty close to fey. But the pixie already has a lot.
5) Probably something should be done about equipment. Limiting to light weapons and giving them ritual to shrink items seems to be common solution. Usually the items get back to normal size if away from pixie for too long. This could also use up pixie dust.

Also I'm not sure if this won't completely break everything, be completely out of whack and make other characters feel under-powered.

It sounds great, but size tiny isn't going to work. And level spells whole the way up to lv. 4 spells (casted as level 5e) is just too OP

Areinu
2015-07-03, 12:59 PM
Well, unless you want to build from the ground up you might try here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?417292-Ninja_Prawn-s-Fey-PC-Races-Project&highlight=fey
I don't really like that version, but I like how it worked with the flying. I don't like how it increases max dex for those races(even though MM doesn't give pixies anything above 20). Also there's no precedence in official works with lowering stats. Plus -3 str with encumbrance rules goes to unplayable territory, I think.

What you do is you report your own thread and ask for it to be moved. It's pretty simple.

Also, I notice a lot of references to 3.P in your post. Do not reference 3.P when making 5E homebrew. It's a totally different system, and treating 5E like 3.P is laying a very bad foundation.
I'm not treating 5e like 3e, but I was looking around to find out age/size/etc. Though I read everything on the race there, so some of that stuck.

I looked at it and my reaction was "why would I ever want to play anything but this?" :)

Areinu, there are two items in the DMG that grant at-will invisibility. They are both "legendary". Just to give you an idea of how powerful that is on its own in 5e...
Hmm. Cloak of invisibility gives only 2h of invisibility per 24h, but it also doesn't require concentration. On the other hand ring of invisibility ends with just an attack/spell casting, which is much worse than "Superior Invisibility" thing. I would like to keep some invisibility though, to make pixie pixie-like. For example proficiency with Stealth instead of invisibility, like in PDF linked by Ace Jackson.

It sounds great, but size tiny isn't going to work. And level spells whole the way up to lv. 4 spells (casted as level 5e) is just too OP
Why isn't tiny size going to work? Can you elaborate?

---------------

Strongest things were flying, spellcasting and invisibility. I added a lot of debuffs to flying(from PDF from Ace Jackson), including inability to fly high.
Spellcasting has been strongly nerfed. Now it doesn't include strong spells, except for greater invisibility. There's no innate invisibility anymore. I increased cost per level of casting to 3 ounces, so at level 3 pixie will be able to use one of her level 1 spells per day. On level 6 either 2 of her level 1 spells per day or one of her level 2 spells. On level 12 she will have enough to cast 4 level of spells total, and if she decides to use greater invisibility it will use up all of her dust.

Magic Resistance is kind of like tieflings hellish resistance, though magic resistance is better.
Tieflings have Infernal Legacy that gives them access to ribbon cantrip, on 3rd level to pretty good 1st level spell(cast on 2nd) and on 5th level to another nice 2nd level spell. Each of them can be used once per day, so that gives 4 levels of spells total. What pixies get is more flexible and past level 12 will give a bit more of spellcasting than what tieflings got.

The idea behind fly limitations is to make it behave as closely to walking as possible. Though I know it will still allow some feats that normal races can't(for example hovering above water).

-----------

Let's try Pixie 0.0.2:

Alignment. Pixies are strongly inclined towards good; many are pacifists who will not willingly harm other creatures. Most pixies strike a balance somewhere between the lawful and chaotic ends of the alignment scale.

Size. Pixies stand just under a foot tall. Your size is Tiny. Your carrying capacity is 1/4th of medium sized creature.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 10 feet and your base flying speed is 30 feet. Note that your wings are not inherently magical and cannot be used in strong wind or while wearing heavy armour. Abilities that increase your movement speed, such as the Monk’s Unarmoured Movement or the Longstrider spell, only affect your walking speed. The Haste spell is an exception to this; it does double your flying speed. The Fly spell works normally when cast on pixies – and they will not fall when the spell ends unless their natural wings are disabled for any reason. Also, you cannot fly at altitudes higher than around 6 feet.

Pixie Dust. You know the druidcraft and dancing lights cantrips. You can use ounces of pixie dust equal to your level per day to cast following spells, provided you meet level requirements for them. Casting those spells costs 3 ounce of dust per spell level.

Level Spells
3rd detect good and evil, entangle
6th detect thoughts, phantasmal force, sleep(as 2nd level), invisibility
12th greater invisibility

---

This should be little closer to balance, while keeping the flavor I'm looking for. Obviously I'm looking for more feedback

JNAProductions
2015-07-03, 01:12 PM
Much better! At first glance, that seems actually pretty balanced.

charlesk
2015-07-03, 02:01 PM
Definitely much better. Being tiny-sized can have disadvantages. And without inherent invisibility, a pixie would draw a lot of attention.

Pixie Dust. You know the druidcraft and dancing lights cantrips. You can use ounces of pixie dust equal to your level per day to cast following spells, provided you meet level requirements for them. Casting those spells costs 3 ounce of dust per spell level.

Level Spells
3rd detect good and evil, entangle
6th detect thoughts, phantasmal force, sleep(as 2nd level), invisibility
12th greater invisibility

These are character level presumably, so at character level 12 you have 12 ounces of dust to cast greater invisibility one time (4th level spell). This is a bit unclear due to D&D's overuse of "level" (cue the OOTS strip...)

Malifice
2015-07-03, 02:26 PM
Weapons don't size anymore. You'll have to make rules for what being tiny does.

I'd probably rule it as small (no heavy weapons) but also reduce all weapon damage dice by 1 or 2 steps. Maybe whack a strength max on it too.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-03, 02:27 PM
This should be little closer to balance, while keeping the flavor I'm looking for. Obviously I'm looking for more feedback

Hello, fellow pixie-enthusiast!

I'm inclined to argue that your version 0.0.2 is still slightly overpowered.

Flight AND true magic resistance is a huge amount of power, especially without the sorts of explicit 'tiny penalties' I use. Plus you've still got a broad and flexible innate spellcasting package.

That said, it's probably not game-breaking. +2 Dex is a world away from +3, after all.

Edit: And thank you, Ace, for promoting my work! Keep it up and you might make it onto the 'special thanks' list!

Areinu
2015-07-03, 02:53 PM
@Charlesk: Yeah, those were supposed to be character levels. :)

@Malifice, Ninja_Prawn: Limiting the weapons to light sounds alright. I don't know about lowering damage dice, for example what about light ranged weapons(pretty much hand crossbow, since light crossbow is not light) and light finesse weapons? (dagger, scimitar, shortsword). If it's dexterity that counts when using a weapon I wonder if lowering the damage due to low size/strength is sensible.

The solution for weapons presented by you, Ninja_Prawn is pretty sound, but I want to keep it simple. Whole table with new weapons is a bit too much when only 1 player will be using it. I'm thinking about letting Pixie use light weapons, but give pixie following trait:

Opposed to Violence: Pixies abhor weapons and would sooner flee than get into physical altercation with any enemy. You have disadvantage on attacks with weapons.

And:

Tiny: Your capacity is 1/4th of medium creature. You can use only light weapons.

How does that sound?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-03, 03:01 PM
The solution for weapons presented by you, Ninja_Prawn is pretty sound, but I want to keep it simple. Whole table with new weapons is a bit too much when only 1 player will be using it.

I totally agree. Simplicity is the way to go.

I'm thinking about letting Pixie use light weapons, but give pixie following trait:

Opposed to Violence: Pixies abhor weapons and would sooner flee than get into physical altercation with any enemy. You have disadvantage on attacks with weapons.

And:

Tiny: Your capacity is 1/4th of medium creature. You can use only light weapons.

How does that sound?

It's certainly simple. Clearly you're happy to play it, or you wouldn't propose it.

In my opinion, the balance looks better now. Clearly some classes are going to be hard to play, but that's okay since there's only going to be one pixie PC. You will need to agree with your DM whether or not unarmed strike counts as a weapon, and if it does, whether or not it's light. I am aware of the errata, but I disagree with the ruling on unarmed strike (I do consider it both light and a weapon) - perhaps your DM will as well.

Edit: depending on the feel you're going for, you could make it disadvantage with weapons made from iron or steel. The mythology supports it! And then you'd have a few options if you wanted to fight in melee.

DracoKnight
2015-07-03, 03:21 PM
Edit: depending on the feel you're going for, you could make it disadvantage with weapons made from iron or steel. The mythology supports it! And then you'd have a few options if you wanted to fight in melee.

I can totally see a pixie monk moving around the battlefield wielding a silvered shortsword and throwing silvered darts :D

Takewo
2015-07-04, 04:27 AM
And yet, I'm not really sure about the full magic resistance. Alright, this race has serious drawbacks for fighting classes. But why would you want to be a fighter? I'm expecting you to be a sorcerer or a druid. So, basically, you're a spell caster with more spells, magic resistance, flying at will and boost to charisma.

While the race might be overall balanced, in my opinion it is overpowered for spell casters due to the fact that all its drawbacks are physical and all its bonuses are magical.

Areinu
2015-07-04, 07:38 AM
That's valid concern and I was considering it, but I found no real solution. I could argue that magic resistance is just as potent for melee classes, if not more potent. Flying is good for all classes, even though it's "magical"(though it's not, it's just wings). Innate spellcasting gives 1 additional level 1 spell on character level 3 and 2 level 1 spells on character level 6, or single level 2 spell on level 6. And some of those spells would be just as useful for other classes.

Magical resistance doesn't do much good for spells that have no saving throw, so if the character gets out of touch he can just ambush the team with spellcasters full of that ;) But in all seriousness, I think I'll give current version a try and if things become funky we'll just talk with DM to lower racial buffs, like changing magical resistance to fey ancestry etc.

There are some races that go towards one side of the magic/non-magic spectrum. For example Goliath has only physical buffs. Does that make him overpowered for non-casters?

As for iron/steel weapons - that sound nice. I think I might change to it :)

Shaofoo
2015-07-04, 09:16 AM
Personally I don't think we should break the mold that races can gain more abilities beyond the 5rd level and even then only drow and tieflings gain more abilities by sheer virtue of their race alone. And even a level 20 Drow and Tiefling can only use their race abilities once a day while the pixie can use these multiple times.

I would personally axe all spells except for detect good and evil for 3rd level and detect thoughts for 5th level and use them once a long rest and keep the mold.

Also for the invisibility trick you can copy the 4e Gnome ability and whenever you would take damage you can as a reaction go invisible and move your flight speed, you will stay invisible until the end of your next turn or you use an action or bonus action to do anything. You must take a short or long rest before you can do this ability again.

Takewo
2015-07-05, 06:45 AM
There are some races that go towards one side of the magic/non-magic spectrum. For example Goliath has only physical buffs. Does that make him overpowered for non-casters?

Well, yeah, but a goliath can't get out of range of non flying magic assailants and hasn't got resistance against melee attacks, whereas your pixie can easily evade physical combat and still has a nice protection against spells. The only way in which it is par with any other race is against ranged weapons, which kind of suck anyway.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-05, 06:53 AM
Personally I don't think we should break the mold that races can gain more abilities beyond the 5rd level and even then only drow and tieflings gain more abilities by sheer virtue of their race alone. And even a level 20 Drow and Tiefling can only use their race abilities once a day while the pixie can use these multiple times.

I would personally axe all spells except for detect good and evil for 3rd level and detect thoughts for 5th level and use them once a long rest and keep the mold.

I would counter that by saying pixies already break the mold in almost every other way: they're tiny, they can fly, they can't walk... in for a penny, in for a pound! I mean, cleaving to the established precedent is fine as well; that's what I did in my own version; but this 'pixie dust' variant is interesting and broadly equivalent in power.

Also, The 'signature' pixie spells are clearly Druidcraft, Entangle, Sleep and Invisibility - if you're going to axe any, I would leave those ones. Detect X spells are more of a sprite thing.

Thought for the OP: how much do your pixies weigh? If you have to climb a mountain in rough weather, you won't be able to fly, so you'll want to take shelter in one of your comrade's backpacks - which can only hold 30lbs. Studded Leather Armour, on its own, is 13lbs (you haven't included rules for reducing the weight of tiny gear), and your allies still have to think about rations and tools...

Shaofoo
2015-07-05, 10:26 AM
I would counter that by saying pixies already break the mold in almost every other way: they're tiny, they can fly, they can't walk... in for a penny, in for a pound! I mean, cleaving to the established precedent is fine as well; that's what I did in my own version; but this 'pixie dust' variant is interesting and broadly equivalent in power.

Also, The 'signature' pixie spells are clearly Druidcraft, Entangle, Sleep and Invisibility - if you're going to axe any, I would leave those ones. Detect X spells are more of a sprite thing.

Thought for the OP: how much do your pixies weigh? If you have to climb a mountain in rough weather, you won't be able to fly, so you'll want to take shelter in one of your comrade's backpacks - which can only hold 30lbs. Studded Leather Armour, on its own, is 13lbs (you haven't included rules for reducing the weight of tiny gear), and your allies still have to think about rations and tools...

I would still axe invisibility and keep the invisibility reaction thing I made up, or come up another thing with invisibility that isn't just casting it as a spell.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-06, 02:52 AM

You don't have to quote the whole post, just the part you are replying to.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-07-06, 04:20 AM
Studded Leather Armour, on its own, is 13lbs (you haven't included rules for reducing the weight of tiny gear), and your allies still have to think about rations and tools...

I'm now picturing a 2-3 pound pixie (about 8x8 times a light as a human) wearing 13 pounds of armor. It looks pretty funny, thanks for the mental image!

Carrying anything is really going to be weird, even something like a healing potion. Nothing scales. For a one shot solution without any rule changes (not the best kind of solution) you could just go druid and get a pack animal as a companion? I know pixies aren't really associated with dogs or goats in general (ponies might be a little better), but maybe an eagle?

Areinu
2015-07-06, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all the input!

@Shaofoo: I checked out how much 1 foot tall monkeys weight. Monkeys don't have wings but they have tails often as long as the monkey itself. Anyway, those monkeys often weight about 2 pounds, which was too small in my opinion. My pixies are 4-5 pounds. For sake of simplicity my pixies use tiny items, for example wizard pixie could use tiny spellbook. Those tiny items weight 1/4th of normal weight. It's kind of hard for them to carry money though!

I added
Cold Iron. Pixies are vurnerable to steel and iron. They can't use iron/steel equipment, and they get poisoned state for 1 round after touching steel or iron. This includes being hit by such weapons. When hit by ranged steel weapons it happens automatically. When hit by melee weapons you have to pass DC 10 or half of damage taken(whichever is higher) constitution test or get poisoned.

This is instead of "you can only use light weapons" and opposed to violence.

This way NPCs can "disable" magic resistance of pixie, since having disadvantage from poison and advantage from magic resistance will lead to them cancelling out. Sure, NPCs have to hit the pixie first, but since steel arrowhead will be all that it takes it shouldn't be hard to succeed. After that spellcaster can spam their spells without fairy being able to do anything. Also it gives DM many possibilities to make PC vulnerable to magic.

For now we will just force fairy to find equipment for her size, without downscaling AC and damage. This should allow non-magical classes to work with it. This is also why melee weapons have DC saving throw against poison. Melee users will be hit more often and usually have constitution proficiency. Spellcasters trying to use fly to run will be easily taken down by archers + spellcasters.

I don't think I'll be cutting on Pixie dust for now. It's comparable to other classes until about level 9, and then spellcasters have so many slots that our group doesn't get trough all of them anyway. I know about 6-7 encounters per day thingy, but our campaigns very rarely have that.

Also one more thing that I thought of yesterday was the fact that most probably pixie won't be able to use most of the magic items. She could use ring of invisibility as armband I guess, and cut off part of cloak of invisibility to use that(or possibly breaking the cloak in process :D). But helmet of dwarven might? Uh oh. Magical weapons will also be found normal sized, and pixies being peaceful and all won't have those in plenty. Arguably pixie could use regular sized +x dagger dual handed. All magic armors? Nope. Magic wands? Maybe dualhanded, as if they were staffs. By level 8 other heroes should start getting magic stuff, so pixie having a bit more racial power past that shouldn't be game breaking. There might be other tiny races that produce weapons/armor and have some magical artifacts, but I expect them to be much rarer than regular stuff. Pixie would even have hard time to use deck of many things!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-06, 01:56 PM
I checked out how much 1 foot tall monkeys weigh. Monkeys don't have wings but they have tails often as long as the monkey itself. Anyway, those monkeys often weight about 2 pounds, which was too small in my opinion. My pixies are 4-5 pounds. For sake of simplicity my pixies use tiny items, for example wizard pixie could use tiny spellbook. Those tiny items weight 1/4th of normal weight. It's kind of hard for them to carry money though!

Also one more thing that I thought of yesterday was the fact that most probably pixie won't be able to use most of the magic items. She could use ring of invisibility as armband I guess, and cut off part of cloak of invisibility to use that(or possibly breaking the cloak in process :D). But helmet of dwarven might? Uh oh. Magical weapons will also be found normal sized, and pixies being peaceful and all won't have those in plenty. Arguably pixie could use regular sized +x dagger dual handed. All magic armors? Nope. Magic wands? Maybe dualhanded, as if they were staffs. By level 8 other heroes should start getting magic stuff, so pixie having a bit more racial power past that shouldn't be game breaking. There might be other tiny races that produce weapons/armor and have some magical artifacts, but I expect them to be much rarer than regular stuff. Pixie would even have hard time to use deck of many things!

See how easy it is to get sucked down the rabbit hole? I didn't want to make my own tiny weapon table; I ended up having to, because it was the only way to ensure some semblance of balance. I didn't originally plan to create sprite and faerie races, but it became worthwhile after I'd done the pixie, because a lot of the groundwork was already laid (including the 'adventurous' feat, which you should consider for your game).

Personally, I would assume that a lot of magic items (especially wondrous items, rings, etc.) are able to resize themselves to fit their bearer. Wands are quite a pixie-ish thing, so I would definitely let you use them as staves.

Cold Iron. Pixies are vulnerable to steel and iron. They can't use iron/steel equipment, and they get poisoned state for 1 round after touching steel or iron. This includes being hit by such weapons. When hit by ranged steel weapons it happens automatically. When hit by melee weapons you have to pass DC 10 or half of damage taken(whichever is higher) constitution test or get poisoned.

By my reading, you don't get a save if it's not a weapon attack - so if someone just touches you with a gauntlet-ed hand... boom! you're poisoned for 6 seconds. I guess poisoned isn't the end of the world, but it's harsh not to allow a save.

Areinu
2015-07-07, 09:19 AM
Hmm. Then maybe allow a save for any kind of touch, but make effect last 2 rounds? Warrior types should still pass most of the time and it should still allow baddies to "take off" magic resistance off casters.

Probably it's impossible to do something so far from the base rules and "just keep it simple, shrugs". I wonder how will WotC handle Pixie race if they ever get to it in 5th edition. I personally voted for it in recent poll ;)