GoldenDwarf
2015-07-03, 12:27 PM
What is the best wapen for a barbarian?

Dontdestroyme
2015-07-03, 12:36 PM
Big ax for chop orc!

Ralanr
2015-07-03, 01:14 PM
For two handed it's either greataxe for Orc (due to synergy) and great sword or maul (due to damage) for everyone else. There is also glaive and halberd if you want a little more reach at the cost of 1d10 damage die (this isn't a downside to most people. But it falls to play style and preference).

Sword and board: anything that's one handed and uses a d8.

Two weapons: (Totem barbarians can pull this off better than berserker) two hand axes (flavor and throwable) and then two 1d8 weapons after you get the feat (if you want to keep two weapon fighting I'd imagine you'd grab the feat).

Malifice
2015-07-03, 02:27 PM
Great axe.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-03, 02:32 PM
My favourite barbarian weapon is a greatsword. But two weapon fighting isn't the worst for a totem warrior.
A barbarian with a shield isn't the best, but if you want to go that way, just take a 1d8 strenght weapon.
Polearm master for a totem warrior is even better than two weapon fighting, but it costs an ASI.

SharkForce
2015-07-03, 02:44 PM
For two handed it's either greataxe for Orc (due to synergy) and great sword or maul (due to damage) for everyone else. There is also glaive and halberd if you want a little more reach at the cost of 1d10 damage die (this isn't a downside to most people. But it falls to play style and preference).

short term greatsword is better, but eventually greataxe becomes the better choice. just depends how many extra dice you're getting from barbarian.

though of course if you're willing to spend a feat for polearm master, a polearm is the best choice.

Naanomi
2015-07-03, 03:07 PM
A barbarian with a shield isn't the best, but if you want to go that way, just take a 1d8 strenght weapon.
They can make impressive defensive characters, especially at low levels... Variant human, stout halfling, air gensai... Or hill dwarf for hoarding all the hit-points

But yeah any old d8 weapon then, maybe with Versatile on the off chance you want the extra damage once in a blue moon

Ralanr
2015-07-03, 03:12 PM
They can make impressive defensive characters, especially at low levels... Variant human, stout halfling, air gensai... Or hill dwarf for hoarding all the hit-points

But yeah any old d8 weapon then, maybe with Versatile on the off chance you want the extra damage once in a blue moon

Honestly I'm not sure beats a barbarian with shield master in terms of survivability. Though it is a serious toll on damage.

Makes a good melee battle supporter in a melee heavy party. Supremely well with wolf totem.

ZenBear
2015-07-03, 04:19 PM
For two handed it's either greataxe for Orc (due to synergy) and great sword or maul (due to damage) for everyone else.
All Barbarians get extra crit dice, and you only add 1d6 per crit value on a gsword or maul, so unless you multiclass for the Two-Handed Fighting Style, every Barbarian should pick the great axe if they go two-handed. Polearms are even better with the Feat for highest DPR w/ extra attack adding STR mod and Rage bonus, more AoOs with the same, and rolling d10s on crits.

Ralanr
2015-07-03, 04:23 PM
All Barbarians get extra crit dice, and you only add 1d6 per crit value on a gsword or maul, so unless you multiclass for the Two-Handed Fighting Style, every Barbarian should pick the great axe if they go two-handed. Polearms are even better with the Feat for highest DPR w/ extra attack adding STR mod and Rage bonus, more AoOs with the same, and rolling d10s on crits.

Fair enough. I usually don't factor in the extra crit dice ability since it's something out of my control when playing

SharkForce
2015-07-03, 05:03 PM

eh, it really isn't an immediate thing at all.

remember, you're taking 1/20 of 3 (the average difference between 1d6 and 1d12) for every extra die barbarian gives, vs an extra 0.5 on all your regular hits.

the precise break-even point depends on AC to some extent, but if we assume you hit on a 11 you're looking at an extra 0.5 damage on regular hits 9/20 times vs an extra 3 damage on critical hits 1/20 of the time... or 4.5/20 swings vs 3/20 swings. you need to be gaining 2 dice at least i think, generally speaking, before the better crits make enough of a difference in DPR to be a large improvement. on the other hand, if you already need a 14 to hit, you break even at one bonus die, and if you need a 15 to hit, apart from maybe being time to consider why you're so inaccurate (no seriously, even the rare 18 AC enemies you should be hitting on about a 13 at level 1), you're better at 1 die.

so, like i said... greatsword starts off being better most likely, but as you gain bonus dice, the greataxe becomes the better choice. more accuracy will push things towards the sword end of the scale, less accuracy will push things towards the axe end of the scale, and of course disadvantage really ruins a lot of the axe advantage because it makes your crits only 1/400 of all swings. of course, as a barbarian you should basically be immune to disadvantage on your attack rolls...

Dontdestroyme
2015-07-03, 06:31 PM
Don't forget advantage (which barbarians can get at will) means you have 2 d20s every attack to try and crit on. So that's (very close to) a 1/10 chance of critting.

Ralanr
2015-07-03, 06:39 PM
Don't forget advantage (which barbarians can get at will) means you have 2 d20s every attack to try and crit on. So that's (very close to) a 1/10 chance of critting.

Always best to point out the second edge to that double edge sword. Even if it "doesn't effect the barbarian that badly" as some people claims.

You get advantage, then everyone gets advantage to hit you until your next turn. Depending on your level, current health pool, and current amount of rages, some situations might not be made better by attacking recklessly.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-03, 06:50 PM
eh, it really isn't an immediate thing at all.

remember, you're taking 1/20 of 3 (the average difference between 1d6 and 1d12) for every extra die barbarian gives, vs an extra 0.5 on all your regular hits.

the precise break-even point depends on AC to some extent, but if we assume you hit on a 11 you're looking at an extra 0.5 damage on regular hits 9/20 times vs an extra 3 damage on critical hits 1/20 of the time... or 4.5/20 swings vs 3/20 swings. you need to be gaining 2 dice at least i think, generally speaking, before the better crits make enough of a difference in DPR to be a large improvement. on the other hand, if you already need a 14 to hit, you break even at one bonus die, and if you need a 15 to hit, apart from maybe being time to consider why you're so inaccurate (no seriously, even the rare 18 AC enemies you should be hitting on about a 13 at level 1), you're better at 1 die.

so, like i said... greatsword starts off being better most likely, but as you gain bonus dice, the greataxe becomes the better choice. more accuracy will push things towards the sword end of the scale, less accuracy will push things towards the axe end of the scale, and of course disadvantage really ruins a lot of the axe advantage because it makes your crits only 1/400 of all swings. of course, as a barbarian you should basically be immune to disadvantage on your attack rolls...

If you have advantage, it's 1/10 (actually .975/10, but whatever) of 3, 6, or 9, which means it's better starting at 13 with advantage, and even at 17 (.45 vs .5) without. If you're a Half Orc, it's better with advantage at 9, even without advantage at 13, and outright superior unless you have disadvantage at 17. These statements assume you hit on a 2, so for every point above 2 you need to hit it swings more in favor of the Great Axe. If you have ready ways to gain advantage, or if you have allies that can cast hold person or otherwise paralyze the target, the Great Axe can be the far superior weapon. Just saying, the great sword may be generally better in a vacuum, but D&D is a team sport after all.

Edit: Yeah, when I say "ready ways to gain advantage" I don't mean reckless attacks, as generally I think those are best avoided in all but the most dire of circumstances.

Coidzor
2015-07-03, 07:56 PM

Wait, Rage's Advantage on Str checks applies to attack rolls as well?

Dontdestroyme
2015-07-03, 08:08 PM
Wait, Rage's Advantage on Str checks applies to attack rolls as well?

No. Barbarians get reckless attack though at level 2, which lets them get advantage on attacks at will, at the cost of giving enemies advantage on attacks versus them.

ShikomeKidoMi
2015-07-03, 08:23 PM
Yes, it depends on a few things like what type of barbarian you're playing and whether or not you're using feats.

For a damage focused barbarian, assuming you're using feats, either polearm master or two weapons is best for totem barbarians, however Berserkers don't get as much benefit due to their frenzy ability and may as well go Great Axe, since when they frenzy they can use bonus actions to do an extra d12 damage and Great Axe takes the best advantage of Barbarian crit enhancements.

If you'd rather tank than do damage a shield and a one handed 1d8 weapon is best. If you're playing d can hit the Dex requirement, a shield barbarian might be able to grab defensive duelist, in which case you can wield a finesse weapon-- and never use the finesse feature, since you're not required to use Dex instead of Str with them. This means that oddly, Barbarian tanks might be best suited using a shield and rapier.

djreynolds
2015-07-04, 03:20 AM
Yes, it depends on a few things like what type of barbarian you're playing and whether or not you're using feats.

For a damage focused barbarian, assuming you're using feats, either polearm master or two weapons is best for totem barbarians, however Berserkers don't get as much benefit due to their frenzy ability and may as well go Great Axe, since when they frenzy they can use bonus actions to do an extra d12 damage and Great Axe takes the best advantage of Barbarian crit enhancements.

If you'd rather tank than do damage a shield and a one handed 1d8 weapon is best. If you're playing d can hit the Dex requirement, a shield barbarian might be able to grab defensive duelist, in which case you can wield a finesse weapon-- and never use the finesse feature, since you're not required to use Dex instead of Str with them. This means that oddly, Barbarian tanks might be best suited using a shield and rapier.

Very true, or even a dagger or short sword. I just cannot see Arnold with a rapier, maybe a scimitar. Does defensive duelist work with dual weapon feats. Even if you're using finesse weapons with strength. That's cool. But what about unarmed strikes via a very MAD barbarian/monk?

LordVonDerp
2015-07-04, 08:25 AM
Halberd. Definitely halberd, does more damage per round than anything else

SharkForce
2015-07-04, 09:18 AM
But what about unarmed strikes via a very MAD barbarian/monk?

there is very little, if any, point to multiclassing monk and barbarian. not much synergy, most monks gain at least some spellcasting which doesn't work in combination with rage, your DM may even decide that all ki powers require some degree of mental focus and don't work with rage, unarmoured abilities don't stack, unarmed is a terrible weapon until you go deep into monk... it just really isn't good. at all.

it's relatively hard to completely gimp yourself in 5e, but monk/barbarian can probably pull it off.

monk/rogue or monk/fighter are much better choices.

(on a side note: i really wouldn't aim for an unarmoured barbarian at all unless you rolled for stats and got amazing rolls, or possibly at very late levels when your con is maxed and unarmoured is the same AC as half-plate. i still wouldn't put many points into dex past chargen most likely... there's so much more you can do with feats than you can do with a few extra points of dexterity).

Inevitability
2015-07-04, 09:51 AM
Halberd. Definitely halberd, does more damage per round than anything else

You might want to explain that one.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-04, 10:42 AM

Polearm master?

ShikomeKidoMi
2015-07-04, 10:12 PM
Polearm master?

Halberd, Pike, and Glaive are all the same, though. Also, like I said, that's best for Totem, but Great Axe is best for barbarians who can Frenzy.

Very true, or even a dagger or short sword. I just cannot see Arnold with a rapier, maybe a scimitar. Does defensive duelist work with dual weapon feats. Even if you're using finesse weapons with strength. That's cool. But what about unarmed strikes via a very MAD barbarian/monk?
Defensive Duelist works with weapon/open hand or weapon shield, but not two weapons, if I remember right. Barbarian/Monk is probably not worth it, even if it does work.

LordVonDerp
2015-07-04, 10:22 PM

Guaranteed three attacks a round, every round, complete with full bonuses.

LordVonDerp
2015-07-04, 10:26 PM
Halberd, Pike, and Glaive are all the same, though. Also, like I said, that's best for Totem, but Great Axe is best for barbarians who can Frenzy.

Frenzy might matter if it was ever worth using.

SharkForce
2015-07-05, 12:28 AM

yes and no.

for starters, oddly enough pike is not a polearm as far as polearm master is concerned. go figure.

but mostly, even with a berserker, you only do that *maybe* as often as 2 battles a day or you start getting into really bad shape.

which means that the other several battles a day you still really want to be using a polearm with those feats.

Ralanr
2015-07-05, 01:49 AM
Frenzy might matter if it was ever worth using.

In a featless game, it is.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-05, 06:17 AM
But why is greataxe better than a greatsword (6,5 average or 7)?

20gp more but both slashing

Fredaintdead
2015-07-05, 06:59 AM
But why is greataxe better than a greatsword (6,5 average or 7)?

20gp more but both slashing

Because of the way criticals work and how Barbarians do more damage with critical hits at higher levels.
A Critical Hit in 5e adds an extra damage die of the type the weapon/attack uses, so a Greataxe becomes 2d12 (2-24, Avg 13) and a Greatsword becomes 3d6 (3-18, Avg 10.5).
Barbarians at higher levels add additional damage dice to Critical Hits. Given that through Reckless Attack Barbarians have essentially twice the chance to critically hit, at higher levels the difference in crit damage adds up to more than the 0.5 average damage that the Greatsword has over the Greataxe on a regular swing.

At Lv1: Greataxe Crit deals 2.5 more average damage than a Greatsword Crit, with a 10% chance of critting (due to Advantage on Melee Attacks as a result of Reckless Attack), so 2.5/10 = 0.25 extra average damage. The Greatsword is an average 0.25 damage per swing ahead.
At Lv9 (Where the Barbarian gets Brutal Critical 1): Greataxe Crit deals 5.5 more average damage than a Greatsword Crit (3d12 vs 4d6), with a 10% chance of critting, so 5.5/10 = 0.55 extra average damage. The Greataxe is an average 0.05 damage per swing ahead. (Note that a Half-Orc Barbarian is already at this point at Lv1 due to their Savage Attacks racial ability)
At Lv13 (Where the Barbarian gets Brutal Critical 2): Greataxe Crit deals 8.5 more average damage than a Greatsword Crit (4d12 vs 5d6), with a 10% chance of critting, so 8.5/10 = 0.85 extra average damage. The Greataxe is an average 0.35 damage per swing ahead. (The Half-Orc Barbarian is already at this point at Lv9)
At Lv17 (Where the Barbarain gets Brutal Critical 3): Greataxe Crit deals 10 more average damage than a Greatsword Crit (5d12 vs 6d6), with a 10% chance of critting, so 10/10 = 1 extra average damage. The Greataxe is an average of 0.5 damage per swing ahead. (The Half-Orc Barbarian is already at this point at Lv13)

Half-Orc Barbarian at Lv17: Greataxe Crit deals 13.5 more average damage than a Greatsword Crit (6d12 vs 7d6), with a 10% chance of critting, so 13.5/10 = 1.35 extra average damage. The Greataxe is an average of 0.85 damage per swing ahead.

LordVonDerp
2015-07-05, 08:15 AM
In a featless game, it is.
Maybe, but even then the cost is still too high to be worth it.

djreynolds
2015-07-05, 08:26 AM

Defensive Duelist works with weapon/open hand or weapon shield, but not two weapons, if I remember right. Barbarian/Monk is probably not worth it, even if it does work.

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm sad about the defensive duelist not working with two weapons.

Ralanr
2015-07-05, 08:33 AM
Maybe, but even then the cost is still too high to be worth it.

Not every fight I suppose. The resistances from regular rage are usually good enough for most fights.

Compared to totem, it's weaker. Sadly because of one mechanic. I wonder why the path doesn't deal with exhaustion better as they level up.

SharkForce
2015-07-05, 01:38 PM
Because of the way criticals work and how Barbarians do more damage with critical hits at higher levels.
A Critical Hit in 5e adds an extra damage die of the type the weapon/attack uses, so a Greataxe becomes 2d12 (2-24, Avg 13) and a Greatsword becomes 3d6 (3-18, Avg 10.5).

minor correction (the post is overall accurate): criticals just double your damage dice whether they're 1d12 or 2d6. the barbarian (and half-orc) get special abilities that add a single extra die, rather than just adding the weapon's full damage dice again. that's where the difference comes in.

and that is why at first, a greatsword is the better choice (by a marginal amount), but greataxe pulls ahead once you start getting more dice on a critical from barbarian levels.

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm sad about the defensive duelist not working with two weapons.

pretty sure he's thinking of the duelist fighting style, not the feat. the feat only has one requirement: that you wield a finesse weapon. you can have whatever other weapons you want, so long as at least one of the weapons you are wielding is a finesse weapon, you can use the defensive duelist feat.

djreynolds
2015-07-05, 03:02 PM
minor correction (the post is overall accurate): criticals just double your damage dice whether they're 1d12 or 2d6. the barbarian (and half-orc) get special abilities that add a single extra die, rather than just adding the weapon's full damage dice again. that's where the difference comes in.

and that is why at first, a greatsword is the better choice (by a marginal amount), but greataxe pulls ahead once you start getting more dice on a critical from barbarian levels.

pretty sure he's thinking of the duelist fighting style, not the feat. the feat only has one requirement: that you wield a finesse weapon. you can have whatever other weapons you want, so long as at least one of the weapons you are wielding is a finesse weapon, you can use the defensive duelist feat.

Yeeeesss. Now I can dry my tears. No, I had a samurai concept that uses strength longsword and dex short sword. A fighter paladin rogue build " I stole" from the Death Dealers Handbook, that guy is a genius, and uses his off hand finesse short sword for sneak attacks, or stows it for the two handed sword chop. But right now, you are ahead of him. Thanks

numerek
2015-07-05, 11:51 PM
Killer whale bite is pretty good, level 9 druid / 11 barbarian as long as you don't need a land movement speed. other wise elk, giant ram/stomp level 6 druid / 14 barbarbian

Killer whale
5d6 magical

elk, giant
ram 2d6(+2d6 if you move 20 feet straight toward the target + knock down rider) magical
stomp 4d8 if the target is prone magical

I talk about a druid barbarian multiclass in Giant Elk Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420494-Giant-Elk-Barbarian)

Nice thing about the multi class is it gives you a way to use your spells slots while raging. You also have some pretty nice spell options when you are not a giant elk or some other beast.

Dontdestroyme
2015-07-06, 01:08 AM
^damn, 5d6, I guess you just won.

Malifice
2015-07-06, 05:14 AM
Guaranteed three attacks a round, every round, complete with full bonuses.

Does the offhand bonus attack from polearm master get the +10 damage for GWM?

SharkForce
2015-07-06, 11:51 AM
Does the offhand bonus attack from polearm master get the +10 damage for GWM?

can you think of any reason why it wouldn't? does GWM specify it only works on some of your attacks somewhere?

Ralanr
2015-07-06, 12:16 PM
can you think of any reason why it wouldn't? does GWM specify it only works on some of your attacks somewhere?

Nope, says, "before you make a melee attack" yadda yadda other restrictions with GWM.

If it's a heavy weapon, you get to add the bonus.