PDA

View Full Version : 100 moments when your DM was Awesome!

Katana1515
2015-07-03, 01:05 PM
We get a lot of negative threads about DMs, and rightly so. We have all suffered the pain of poor rule decisions, wet tissue paper plots, extreme railroading and my particular agony boring encounters.

But friends in the playground! We all still play this game years later, despite these annoyances! So unless we are masochist's for every moment of DM failure there must also be moments of true crowning awesome! I implore you to share them with me, so we can celebrate those brilliant GMs in our midst and perhaps compile some fun ideas for new DMs to take away to their own tables!

I suppose I should start!

1. Our party of evil adventurers once saved the world from a single piece of an Elder Evils back hair. The fight was titanic in proportion, the hair was the size of a skyscraper and did.... Things. I still shudder at the horror.

2. In the same game, our DM crafted a rival party of vampire NPC's. Their cover was as a band of travelling minstrels. As the fight began, I naturally assumed my guitar holding opponent was a bard and acted appropriately. It was only as the hidden blade dropped out of the guitar and it was swung at my head was I informed that this Barbarian musician refused to be parted from his 'axe'.

Aleolus
2015-07-03, 01:24 PM
First incident to come to mind for me is one of the first dms I played with incorporated a warhammer into the group, which had been enchanted so that the "damage" it dealt was Positive Energy, meaning he had given us the perfect way to heal after battles! We had great fun, making jokes about smacking people upside the head when they annoyed us "for the sake of healing them"

A_S
2015-07-03, 05:08 PM
Well, there was that time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323302-Princess-Doom-vs-Alif-(The-Crowd-Calls-for-Blood)!) OMG PONIES put up with me and Piggy Knowles fighting a ludicrously technical and rules-heavy PvP arena duel, where none of the three of us really understood all the complexities of the rules involved.

It involved ruling on how immediate actions interact with readied actions in terms of priority (which is complicated and MtG-esque), what kind of action it is to close your eyes (which is badly underspecified in the rules), and what summoned creatures do given incomplete information and no ability to receive new orders (which is always a subjective mess). All while coping with the fact that neither contestant had full knowledge of the actions of the other, due to serious LoS issues.

It was pretty awesome.

rrwoods
2015-07-03, 05:45 PM
5. This moment. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407945-Funniest-dialogue-or-situations-in-games-you-played-or-DMed&p=19067008#post19067008)

Specifically, the fact that the DM not only let us do something nutty, and rolled with it for the story, but he had an NPC involve themselves in the interaction. It helped that said NPC happened to have ranks in a relevant skill that allowed her to directly assist the PCs (not hand-waved, apprently!). Still, 'twas mighty cool of him to play along.

Renen
2015-07-03, 07:29 PM
Im so very sorry... i just couldnt resist...

Its your (meaning something of yours) not you're (meaning you are) English is my 2nd language, and it still bugs me when people dont use it right ._.

6. Its very... minor I guess, but my character is sitting there watching a cultist buy someone for sacrifice, and im not strong enough to do anything. While most DM's would have just said "person gets sacrificed" this DM instead gave a second opportunity to do something when the evil cultist tried to double cross the man who sold him the sacrifice, and the two started fighting. My character just sitting in the corner, and helping out alittle, in the end resulting in both sides dying :D way better than "person got sacrificed, you didnt save them"

Thealtruistorc
2015-07-03, 10:46 PM
7. One day, my DM realizes that it has been a long time since he was keeping up with WBL treasure (level 10 and the strongest item we had was a +2 silver mace), and decides to throw us the ultimate prize: Ever party member gets a pet young adult dragon. The rest of the time we were together, you can bet we were riding those suckers everywhere (as well as pulling some cool cooperative casting tricks with my wizard).

More on the way.