PDA

View Full Version : Master of Many Forms question

Wacky89
2015-07-03, 03:01 PM
if a MoMF 7 wildshapes into a Hobgoblin Warsoul (MM V) which has Arcane Talent as a EX quality. (Which gives you spellcasting as a 9th lvl wizard)
Can you actually cast wizard spells? Do you need a spellbook? Or is it useless since you didnt prepare any spells?

2015-07-03, 03:24 PM
I'd say you can cast spells as a wizard can, which is what it says right there in the ability...unfortunately, that requires a spellbook with wizard spells in it, and the time necessary to prepare them. Honestly, not having the spellbook is going to be the bigger downside.

Of course, none of this should be a problem for a Wizard/MoMF, but that kind of build would be odd..

Venger
2015-07-03, 04:19 PM
if a MoMF 7 wildshapes into a Hobgoblin Warsoul (MM V) which has Arcane Talent as a EX quality. (Which gives you spellcasting as a 9th lvl wizard)
Can you actually cast wizard spells? Do you need a spellbook? Or is it useless since you didnt prepare any spells?

I'd say you can cast spells as a wizard can, which is what it says right there in the ability...unfortunately, that requires a spellbook with wizard spells in it, and the time necessary to prepare them. Honestly, not having the spellbook is going to be the bigger downside.

Of course, none of this should be a problem for a Wizard/MoMF, but that kind of build would be odd..

well once that's down, you only need an hour. your wild shape lasts a lot longer than that. you get slots as a 9th lvl wizard, like the warsoul does.

pretty nice if you have a wizard in your party, not so much otherwise. probably easier to find a monster that grants you sorcerer or cleric casting.

Wacky89
2015-07-03, 05:35 PM
well once that's down, you only need an hour. your wild shape lasts a lot longer than that. you get slots as a 9th lvl wizard, like the warsoul does.

pretty nice if you have a wizard in your party, not so much otherwise. probably easier to find a monster that grants you sorcerer or cleric casting.

Do you know any other monsters with EX Quality spellcasting?

Khatoblepas
2015-07-03, 06:09 PM
The Koa Toa Exalted Whip from the same book has 8th level cleric casting!

And I looked up the Hobgoblin Warsoul just to check this, and I noticed it had another ability:

Cult of Power (Ex)
A warsoul is accompanied by 2d4 1st-level hobgoblin warriors who have sworn their lives to her. These thralls willingly sacrifice themselves for their master’s soul tyrant ability.

Does this mean every time you wildshape into a Hobgoblin Warsoul, 2d4 1st level Hobgoblin warriors appear?

2015-07-03, 06:19 PM

And I looked up the Hobgoblin Warsoul just to check this, and I noticed it had another ability:

Does this mean every time you wildshape into a Hobgoblin Warsoul, 2d4 1st level Hobgoblin warriors appear?

Yes, yes it does, and they're perfectly willing to die for your supernatural abilities (assuming you have the ones that it's referring to). Isn't 3.5 fun?

Venger
2015-07-03, 06:20 PM
Do you know any other monsters with EX Quality spellcasting?

sure. hobgoblin warcaster and arakmoi, and that's just from MM5 alone.

RAW, yes, but good luck talking your dm into that.

atemu1234
2015-07-04, 12:02 AM
sure. hobgoblin warcaster and arakmoi, and that's just from MM5 alone.

RAW, yes, but good luck talking your dm into that.

Obviously they appear by budding off of you.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-04, 12:06 AM
Obviously they appear by budding off of you.

If that's true, I really don't want to know what happens to them when you shift to a different form :smalleek:

atemu1234
2015-07-04, 12:24 AM
If that's true, I really don't want to know what happens to them when you shift to a different form :smalleek:

You ever see the ending of Time Cop?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-04, 12:30 AM
You ever see the ending of Time Cop?

*searches*

Oh my. Reminded me of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Hoz2ZHYZM) (gory special-effects warning).

Venger
2015-07-04, 10:25 AM
*searches*

Oh my. Reminded me of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Hoz2ZHYZM) (gory special-effects warning).

that was awesome. did he make any similar to that?