PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Favored Enemy

Naanomi
2015-07-03, 03:02 PM
Favored Enemy only helps Survival to track an enemy; and INT skills to know about them. No combat use is ok with me, but this does make a limited feature feel even less significant.

What would people think about expanding Favored Enemy to covering other checks as well... Stealth to hide from them, Perception to find them... Social skills to persuade/scare/lie to; Insight checks to detect if they are lying.

Not combat uses (no bonus Athletics to grapple them) but expand to a wider range of non-combat utility... Thoughts?

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-03, 03:27 PM
Favored Enemy only helps Survival to track an enemy; and INT skills to know about them. No combat use is ok with me, but this does make a limited feature feel even less significant.

What would people think about expanding Favored Enemy to covering other checks as well... Stealth to hide from them, Perception to find them... Social skills to persuade/scare/lie to; Insight checks to detect if they are lying.

Not combat uses (no bonus Athletics to grapple them) but expand to a wider range of non-combat utility... Thoughts?

Auto advantage is a huge thing, I'd proceed carefully. If you're going to do it that way, I'd instead do this:

"You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. In addition, your extensive study of their traits and habits allows you to add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks opposed by the creatures in question, whether or not your proficiency bonus would normally apply to the ability check in question."

This still makes it a useful and powerful thing, making it so you perform better against them, whether in stealth or barter or whatever else, without doling out auto advantage all over the place. It also means you aren't *better* at the things you already do well, adding instead breadth of options (I may not be great at lying, but he's an orc! Anything you say will be believed by them if your inflection is correct) indicating your specific knowledge of their species. Note that I would not allow such an expansion of that ability, personally, to anyone multiclassing, especially if they were multiclassing Rogue or Bard, for reasons that may be obvious.

D.U.P.A.
2015-07-03, 05:11 PM
I would make a rule that after a long rest, if you had hostile encounters with certain type of enemies previous day, you may put them on your favored list, discarding the previous quarry.

Naanomi
2015-07-03, 05:16 PM
Your wording would apply to grapples too but it would be ok, heck anti-giant guy is probably good at wiggling out of giant grasps.

However I think I *do* want to increase the power level, not just versatility. Maybe it is just my campaign, but I use a wide variety of creatures so Favored Enemy comes up rarely anyways... Id like it to really matter when it does come up.

In a way I'd like to expand Favored Terrain to cover stealth + perception as well as the above changes... If your schtick is sneaking through the woods and fighting orcs, then I *really* want you to be the best at sneaking up on thsose orcs in the woods.

I acknowledge that a social character dipping ranger might take advantage of this with racial enemy: human but... Diplomancer is dead, and there are lots of spells to grant advantage to socials from the bard list, I don't think this would add too much power to that sort of thing.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-04, 11:03 AM

Sounds way better. Now I choose favored enemy just for the language I need xD

ImSAMazing
2015-07-05, 01:53 PM
Sounds way better. Now I choose favored enemy just for the language I need xD

True story mate. T.R.U.E. S.T.O.R.Y