PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spell traps and shurikens

graeylin
2015-07-03, 03:22 PM
For the low, low price of 500 gold, I believe I can create a spell trap on a dagger, for example, that casts a 1st level spell whenever the dagger is picked up.

Can I do the same for shuriken? Can I create 5 shuriken for the same 500 gold, that each trigger the same 1st level spell when they are picked up?

Uncle Pine
2015-07-03, 03:28 PM
Shurikens are enchanted as ammunitions. I'm afraid that building a repeating spell trap on a weapon isn't considered as "enchanting" it. So no, you'd have to build a trap on each shuriken.

graeylin
2015-07-03, 03:45 PM
Okay, I see that point, but what about considering a spell trap to be a "special version" of a shuriken?

Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown.

Jack_Simth
2015-07-03, 04:18 PM
For the low, low price of 500 gold, I believe I can create a spell trap on a dagger, for example, that casts a 1st level spell whenever the dagger is picked up.

Can I do the same for shuriken? Can I create 5 shuriken for the same 500 gold, that each trigger the same 1st level spell when they are picked up?

The trap rules are poorly thought out and missing some obvious things. They were intended for DM use only, and as a result, there's a rather lot of possible abuses of them. So even if you can by RAW, it's unlikely the DM will let you do this sort of rules manipulation.

That said: Traps have no special clauses about reducing the costs to apply the effect to ammunition. Thus, it doesn't matter that the shuriken are treated as ammunition, it doesn't give you a discount.

atemu1234
2015-07-03, 11:48 PM
The trap rules are poorly thought out and missing some obvious things.

Not unlike a lot of things, really.