PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming Fallout: Southeast Campaign & World Building

QuintonBeck
2015-07-03, 07:31 PM
Greetings oh wonderful minds of the Playground! While I rarely venture these days from my cocoon of GMing Empire (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413607-EMPIRE!-CWBG-XIV-To-Heir-is-Human-To-Faith-10-Divine) on these forums I have recently been working on a project for my RL gaming group, a Fallout Campaign set in the Southeast United States to start running this August. I have some rough ideas and various concepts rattling around that I'll share below in spoilers containing various level of detail (as some are hard ideas and some very loose concepts) but what I'm seeking is more ideas and more concepts for a Fallout campaign, more specifically one set in the South. Now, I (and my players) are all Southerners so we've got a good handle on US Southern culture but I think our immersion in it is also somewhat blinding to outside perception and picking up exactly what the quintessential "southernisms" are which in a game as culturally hyperbolic as Fallout demands.

Now, before the conversation moves in the direction I will preface that I am well aware that racism and segregation are the unfortunate defining characteristics of the 1950s US south and with recent events it makes addressing that subject all the more tense. I've got a possible idea to play on that with a ghoul stand in but even then I don't know how comfortable I am playing with that aspect being a straight white male southerner and not wanting to disrespect such struggles so for the purpose of this exercise let's operate under the assumption that by 2077 in the Fallout Universe such racial tensions had been mollified with redirection of such vitriol put towards nationalism and anti-communist outlook. If there are ideas on how that volatile and nation-changing movement known in our world as the Civil Rights Movement happened without killing the head-in-sand idealism of the 1950s I'm happy to hear any such ideas but that isn't the point of this thread. I'm looking to make a fun campaign for my players and while exploring deeper things such as Civil Rights should be done I'm not necessarily looking to handle it in this Fallout campaign.

So, onto the concepts I have.

2077, July – New Orleans is devastated by the New Plague and is quarantined by the US Military.

2077, October – 8 Nuclear warheads strike Birmingham Alabama, 3 target Huntsville but detonate prematurely for some unknown reason, irradiating northern Alabama but leaving it largely unscathed. A series of detonations are recorded along the Gulf Coast suspected of being short ranged dirty bombs launched from the Caribbean. Atlanta is destroyed by 13 Nuclear weapons. New Orleans status as an abandoned plague city spares it more than cursory nuclear bombardment. Florida and the United States Space Administration’s Nixon Space Flight Center is protected from nuclear annihilation by an unknown force.

2130 – Vault 57 opens in pre-war Centreville and Confederate Centre is established.

2140 – Centre recruits, kills, or enslaves the local raider gangs and free towns to establish plantations capable of producing enough food to feed the growing number of citizens and more to spare. The first Confederate coinage is minted.

2189 – The First Confederate Congress is held in Centre and the New Confederacy of the United South is formed with the Confederate Congress acting as the legislative representative of all member cities and the Confederate Army to serve as the executory under direction of the Congress.

2200 - 2204 – The Confederate Army defeats the forces of “The Kingdom of Hotlanta” out of Georgia and destroys the “Fifty Fiefs of Georgia” in a destructive total war military campaign of salted earth and house fires ending any possibility of expansion east until the land had recovered.

2239, August – Expeditions sent south to the Gulf fail to return, the first rumors of organized presence begin to filter back.

2239, November – Colonel Jebediah Moore attempts a military coup in Richardsville, ultimately failing and being subjected to discharge and banishment. The failure of the Confederate Army to carry out the convictions of the officers and soldiers who aided the Colonel in anything but name drives a rift between the Confederate Congress and the Confederate Army led by General Duke Vernon.

2240, August – A band of travelers depart Centre to investigate the Gulf Coast. (This is where the game will start)

The New Confederacy – Following the Great War the southeast fell into a squabbling and disparate wasteland of various militia groups and city states. With nuclear warheads targeting the region concentrated in a few key industrial and military sites much of the land is still in its natural state as it was prior to the war. Even those who failed to make it to Vaults survived in greater numbers than elsewhere in the country. Many of these survivors were country folks, those who had feared the growing government and corporate dominance prior to the war, those too poor to move to the bustling cities, and those owning large tracts of land that fed and clothed the Pre-War world with their crops. Anarchy reigned in the decades that followed the bombs, with some communities remaining immune to the changes or even unaware while others forming into armed raider gangs patrolling the remnants of the pre-war south looking to loot and pillage what was left. In the early 2100s, Confederate historians mark it as 2130, Vault 57 opened its door in the woods outside Pre-War Centreville, what would come to be known as Confederate Centre. The residents of the vault, provided with false and altered history books of the Pre-War world had been raised on an entirely alien and untrue mixture of oral tradition taught by the residents and textual records of false occurrences and had developed a rabid passion for the ideals exemplified by their Vault’s texts. Armed and educated, even if their understanding of history had been skewed, the vault dwellers’ appearance in the post-war south marked the beginning of a revolution. Angling the modern and unblemished technological wonders of pre-war America as a prize while defending their home vault with a well-trained and well supplied corps of vault soldiers the vault dwellers were able to convince the local raiding bands to pledge themselves to the vault.

The vault dwellers and the local gangs soon became one people and the vault expanded to dominate Pre-War Centreville, knowledge of farming techniques saw plantations formed around the area and the militant and armed forces saw to it that local raiders not part of the growing city state were kept at bay with those foolish enough to attempt a raid killed or captured and forced to serve as labor on the plantations. Eventually news of this growing hub spread across the southeast and contact with other city states was established and trading began to occur between them. The raiders who had stalked the no-man’s lands for nearly a century were driven back from the roads and more and more were captured to serve as labor on the plantation farms across this new civilized land. In 2189 a Confederate Congress was convened in Centre to represent the 5 largest free city states across the southeast who exerted the most control over the surrounding areas: Richardsville in former Kemper county Mississippi; Bama in former Tuscaloosa County Alabama; The Hill in former Montgomery County Alabama; River Bend in former Wilcox county Alabama; and of course Centre in former Bibb county Alabama. Representatives from these 5 city states signed a constitution and an agreement to unite under one banner, the New Confederacy of the United South.

The New Confederacy in 2240 stands as the most well-known and believed largest civilization operating in the southeast. Slavery is legal under Confederate law only with proper documentation from the Confederacy. The majority of those living within Confederate lands are free and it is illegal to enslave a Confederate citizen. The 5 major city states of the polity are considered mostly civilized and safer than anywhere else in the region. Much of the land along the roads connecting the cities and the roads themselves are settled by various small towns and farms offered limited protection by Confederate soldiers and local militias. Outside the main thoroughfares however there are those who refuse to accept Confederate rule who still operate independently and serve as a constant source of consternation for the Confederacy.

In recent years the Confederacy has faced greater internal strife as lawmakers and the settled people of the cities begin to question the harsh methods still employed by the Confederate Army and the continued enslavement of captured outsiders to provide labor for the large plantations. Many of these plantations are owned by high ranking military personnel who insist the methods are necessary, an insistence backed up with threat of force. This division between civilian and military authority has become more apparent as the cities have begun to rely more and more on contractors to carry out matters formerly under the direct jurisdiction of the military and the Army has begun to abduct labor from more and more questionable sources than simply raiders. This at a time when rumors have begun to filter north of an unknown organized force having established itself along the gulf and threatening Confederate expansion and dominance of the region. For the enterprising adventurer the situation offers plenty of opportunity to improve themselves in whatever way they deem fit…

Slavery in the New Confederacy – New Confederate slaves are, de jure, the property of the Confederate government, on loan to various plantation masters and factory operators to use as they see fit and to be provided for as payment for their lending. De facto, Confederate slaves are the property of various masters who treat them, or mistreat them, as they see fit to do so. The Confederacy must license and approve all slaves used to work Confederate land and using unlicensed slaves is an offense punishable by death. Slaves are only licensed if they are brought in by an officer of the Confederacy and convicted of a crime befitting enslavement. While intended to serve as a short term solution to the raider gangs and to providing labor for the plantations while maintaining a sizable army the lack of Confederate judges and the authorization by the Confederate Congress to allow Confederate Officers to convict any suspects with a summary trial has led to a growth in the slave industry and forging Confederate documents for a captured person for those without the cash to bribe an officer but able to afford manhunters is not uncommon.

Centre – Capital of the Confederacy, thinking somewhat like a southern Vault City.

The Hill – I'm thinking very old timey plantation owner Colonel Angus types as common here and around.

Bama – Obsessed with and revering American Football. Led by The Coach.

River Bend – Nothing yet

Richardsville – Nothing yet

Orlands/Disney* World - The party will of course end up going to Disney World though it will be the Fallout version. I'm thinking "Vault World" with the Vault Boy as the charming mascot? I think this could be a lot of fun but I need ideas for it.

Nixon Space Flight Center - Fallout Universe's Kennedy Spaceflight Center down in Florida. Has a functional spaceship/shuttle on the launchpad to play a role in some quest. Likely going to crib a bit from Van Buren docs and the B.O.M.B. orbital facility.

Nawleans - Rebuilt New Orleans. Independent city state. Heavy on trade, producing the finest alcohol, has limited trading contact all the way up and down the Gulf from Florida to Texas and maybe even Mexico. Under threat by the People's Front.

Cuba - Communist state that more or less survived the Great War though suffered great upheaval when the larger nations no longer were making contact. Eventually the internal strife settled. Now led by a Ghoul President and a small cabal of other Pre-War ghouls. The ideals of Communism have fallen a bit by the side in place of imperialism. Not bad guys not good guys. Have built a fleet and are beginning invasion/occupation of the Gulf region.

Main Quests

Red Scare - The party's first quest will be going down to the Gulf to investigate the presence of an organized force making its presence known down there. The party will run into a trader/someone from Nawleans to offer a quest leading them there. The Gulf is being occupied by Cuban soldiers, most speak Spanish and a potential mistranslation leads to a firefight and the party may be forced to retreat. If they communicate successfully they are brought to the leader of the expeditionary force, a ghoul who speaks English and explains who he and his people are and their purpose here and tells the party to go and inform the Confederacy the Cubans would like to speak with them. So the party is either shot at and assumes they're baddies or talks to them and its unclear. Either way they will need to go back to the Confederacy with the intel.

Internal Strife - Whatever the party brings back the Confederacy will react in tow different ways with the civilian government wanting to pursue caution and parley while the military wishes to go to war and drive the Cubans back. The party can pick a side and persuade one to victory or choose to stay out of it. If they back the civilian government the military attempts a coup but are defeated however in doing so many officers abandon the confederacy and form their own gangs making the civilian government's parley with the Cubans even more important. If the party backs the military in a coup the civilian government is arrested/killed and the General/dictator readies the Confederacy for war on the Cubans. If the party stays out of it the Confederacy divides into civil war with some cities falling to military occupation and some repelling the military in favor of civilian governance. If the civilians are supported or none are supported the Cubans will begin to move inland and begin to conquer Confederate territory, either fusing with the civilian government and liberating it if the civilian government successfully gets the party to parley for them or just annexing it for themselves and bringing the cities under Cuban rule if the Confederacy is in civil war. This latter option will also be available if the party wishes to support the Cubans exclusively in expanding their territory.

Space Quest - A quest that will come up when following the main quest (either from the Confederacy Military or Cuban extremists for activating and launching it or Confederate Civilians/Scientists or Cuban leaders seeking to disable it for peace) The party is informed that recently records from a recovered USSA/US Military computer have revealed the presence of an orbital station carrying nuclear weapons in Earth's orbit that was never activated due to the Launch codes needing to be manually entered and the station never being manned before the Great War. The Launch Codes and maybe another MacGuffin are in Huntsville, Alabama (a major aerospace town in our world and in this Fallout) and the party is sent north to recover them from our Fallout expy for Marshall Space Flight Center/Redstone Arsenal. The Arsenal is under the jurisdiction of a US Government holdout (not sure if Enclave or not) and there's sidequests here to manage to get the codes.

Once the codes are acquired the next step is to go down to Florida and the Nixon Spaceflight Center where space launches took place and the operable spaceship has been sitting for the last 150 years. The party is forced to go through Orlando and an expy Disney World* Nixon is also under Enclave(?) control though they are mostly scientists and not soldiers allowing the party to talk their way through if they aren't shooting first at the sign of the Old World flag. The ship will conveniently fit the party who can then go up to the B.O.M.B station in orbit around the earth which will be filled with robots and puzzles. The party will have the choice to launch or permanently disable the nuclear warheads.

Sidequests

Moonshine running - Something that will come about when dealing with Nawleans. They have one of the most powerful mercenary outfits devoted solely to protecting shipments of their regionally famous Moonshine. The party will have a chance to prove themselves worthy to call themselves Dukes of Hazard.

Strangers in a Foreign Land - As captives/guests of either the Cubans or the Enclave(?) at Nixon are 'Knights' from England sent to explore for the English King the state of things in the colonies. The party will have to help them escape/fix the atomic submarine they came in to get them back to England to fill out their report.

Mando Knight
2015-07-03, 08:27 PM
Now, before the conversation moves in the direction I will preface that I am well aware that racism and segregation are the unfortunate defining characteristics of the 1950s US south and with recent events it makes addressing that subject all the more tense. I've got a possible idea to play on that with a ghoul stand in but even then I don't know how comfortable I am playing with that aspect being a straight white male southerner and not wanting to disrespect such struggles so for the purpose of this exercise let's operate under the assumption that by 2077 in the Fallout Universe such racial tensions had been mollified with redirection of such vitriol put towards nationalism and anti-communist outlook. If there are ideas on how that volatile and nation-changing movement known in our world as the Civil Rights Movement happened without killing the head-in-sand idealism of the 1950s I'm happy to hear any such ideas but that isn't the point of this thread. I'm looking to make a fun campaign for my players and while exploring deeper things such as Civil Rights should be done I'm not necessarily looking to handle it in this Fallout campaign.
The thing about the Pre-War world of Fallout is that it's not the 1950s per se, but instead a whitewashed, theme-park version of it. No racial tension, just pseudo-McCarthyist anti-communist propaganda. Post-War the racial tensions are basically completely gone between humans, but instead Ghouls and Super Mutants take the heat.

Slavery in the New Confederacy – New Confederate slaves are, de jure, the property of the Confederate government, on loan to various plantation masters and factory operators to use as they see fit and to be provided for as payment for their lending. De facto, Confederate slaves are the property of various masters who treat them, or mistreat them, as they see fit to do so. The Confederacy must license and approve all slaves used to work Confederate land and using unlicensed slaves is an offense punishable by death. Slaves are only licensed if they are brought in by an officer of the Confederacy and convicted of a crime befitting enslavement. While intended to serve as a short term solution to the raider gangs and to providing labor for the plantations while maintaining a sizable army the lack of Confederate judges and the authorization by the Confederate Congress to allow Confederate Officers to convict any suspects with a summary trial has led to a growth in the slave industry and forging Confederate documents for a captured person for those without the cash to bribe an officer but able to afford manhunters is not uncommon.

Why would the New Confederacy take ownership of the slaves, rather than simply regulating the trade like other non-Legion Post-War slaver societies?

QuintonBeck
2015-07-03, 09:20 PM
The thing about the Pre-War world of Fallout is that it's not the 1950s per se, but instead a whitewashed, theme-park version of it. No racial tension, just pseudo-McCarthyist anti-communist propaganda. Post-War the racial tensions are basically completely gone between humans, but instead Ghouls and Super Mutants take the heat.

Why would the New Confederacy take ownership of the slaves, rather than simply regulating the trade like other non-Legion Post-War slaver societies?

I'm aware of that, however delving into history especially in the South throws a wrench into the Fallout timeline. Like I said, I'm not looking to dive off into it and am happy to whitewash it but the fact of the matter is that racial tension and the Civil Rights movement rose up around the time of Fallout's Divergence and in many ways led to the dissolution of the 1950s Post-WWII idealism. How racial tension was dealt with without shattering the idealism of the 50s is difficult to manage unless we stretch divergence back even further back and have a post-racial society before the 50s aesthetic and outlook kicked in and stuck around.

Because the Vault that was the foundation for the Confederacy introduced slavery as a stop-gap solution and one that was only supposed to last as long as it was necessary so ownership was retained to the state so they could be released legally without taking away anyone's property when that time came. Of course, with the army acting as the slavers and slave owners and threatening the civilian government with military force that ideal plan hasn't really come about and while slaves remain technically owned by the Confederate government they are de facto owned by the Confederate Officers on whose plantations they work.

aspekt
2015-07-05, 04:24 AM
Is there no means of dodging the terminology you are using?

If you are trying to whitewash I'd paint over the names and over slavery existing completely. As a Southerner as well I just can't see how you can use the words Confederacy and slavery together without delving into issues you understandably want to dodge for the most part in a game setting.

So constructive ideas:
By 1950 TVA, in the real world, had transformed the Southeastern US. In an almost magical way. People don't remember but it was only a few generations ago that most of the SE had little to no running water or electricity. Then came TVA.

You could conceivably use the TVA project, begun in the 1930s and the growing Orwellian aspects of Fallout divergence to push desegregation. Perhaps TVA was even in the 30s a project like the arms race, but focused on industrialization first. Stalin did something very similar once he was in power. The improved industrialization could have made for the South being better equipped to handle the war. Thus removing the need for slaves.

Let's also say the Feds needed volunteers for TVA. Then US blacks are the first to volunteer for the project. TVA, in the real world, was also full of northern unionized leftist workers who because of their politics had very different views on race and class. This could impact things.

Or you could go back to Reconstruction Era and diverge the timeline by having actual workable policies which assisted former slaves in real ways along with programs and legislation that actually assisted the South in rebuilding a more mechanized agriculture. Perhaps even move the TVA back to this time.

Either way Reconstruction Era policies end up working. So by the time Women's Suffrage finally gains widespread support in the early 1900s it is hand in hand with a move to complete civil rights for most Americans.

But really, you've got to drop those two words if you want to avoid even backhanded bigotry seeping in here or into your game.

QuintonBeck
2015-07-05, 02:04 PM
Is there no means of dodging the terminology you are using?

If you are trying to whitewash I'd paint over the names and over slavery existing completely. As a Southerner as well I just can't see how you can use the words Confederacy and slavery together without delving into issues you understandably want to dodge for the most part in a game setting.

So constructive ideas:
By 1950 TVA, in the real world, had transformed the Southeastern US. In an almost magical way. People don't remember but it was only a few generations ago that most of the SE had little to no running water or electricity. Then came TVA.

You could conceivably use the TVA project, begun in the 1930s and the growing Orwellian aspects of Fallout divergence to push desegregation. Perhaps TVA was even in the 30s a project like the arms race, but focused on industrialization first. Stalin did something very similar once he was in power. The improved industrialization could have made for the South being better equipped to handle the war. Thus removing the need for slaves.

Let's also say the Feds needed volunteers for TVA. Then US blacks are the first to volunteer for the project. TVA, in the real world, was also full of northern unionized leftist workers who because of their politics had very different views on race and class. This could impact things.

Or you could go back to Reconstruction Era and diverge the timeline by having actual workable policies which assisted former slaves in real ways along with programs and legislation that actually assisted the South in rebuilding a more mechanized agriculture. Perhaps even move the TVA back to this time.

Either way Reconstruction Era policies end up working. So by the time Women's Suffrage finally gains widespread support in the early 1900s it is hand in hand with a move to complete civil rights for most Americans.

But really, you've got to drop those two words if you want to avoid even backhanded bigotry seeping in here or into your game.

I really like the TVA idea and had an idea to pursue something like that in the north Alabama/Tennessee area possibly fused with some amount of influence from the rocket program which revitalized Huntsville and the surrounding areas when Wernher Von Braun and his team were brought over post-WWII. The idea of moving divergence back and having had a successful era of Reconstruction policies is also a good idea that I think would help make easing the 50s in the south forward in a Fallout timeline.

As to the Confederate and Slavery symbolism and the like, I do agree it runs the risk of delving off into RL bigotry and racism issues but I do want to use symbols and play on tropes that are associated with the American South since that's often Fallout's schtick to accentuate aspects of the region they're covering. The West Coast without cowboys or Vegas without gambling just aren't the same. The Capital Wasteland has an entire quest devoted to recovering the Declaration of Independence and spares all the national monuments for the sake of seeing the iconography of DC in the post apocalypse. The South, for better or for worse, is I think largely associated with the Civil War and being agricultural and the slavery that bound that all together. Those words are associated in America with the South and I don't want to cut them out and turn the South into a place without an identity instead just being a typical/non unique wasteland.

Having said that, I think moving divergence back to Reconstruction with effective and successful policies that eliminated segregation and left the South integrated with the rest of the Union could make the use of them here workable. It would allow this to be a "history repeats itself" and one of the things I plan to emphasize once the game starts is this New Confederacy isn't perfect though the principles it was founded on and the plans laid out by the founders had/have potential but are being corrupted. The Vault they came from had altered history books so books that offered the idea of meritocratic/chain-gang slavery as the principles for the CSA could have influenced their initial policies. As I said in the above post the slavery was supposed to be a temporary measure and still supposedly is with pressure coming for it to be repealed but threat of military force is keeping that from happening. One of the things that I may make into a plotline as well is the illegality of chattel slavery meaning one cannot be born a slave, although there may be some less reputable types on the frontier who don't abide by that law and the party may be tracking them down for bounties or the like.

The slavers will be bad people, but they're supposed to be responsible to less bad people and the party will have to decide if they want to try and fix the Confederacy and put them on a path towards fixing their issues, let them continue on and likely self implode toward the end, or take an active part in tearing it down. The one thing I won't be doing is glorifying the CSA or slavery, it will be clear what's happening is bad but the players will have to decide if the ends justify the means. Essentially starting New Vegas in Legion territory for a while before going out and seeing other parts of the wasteland to maybe give a deeper thought to what is or isn't acceptable in different circumstances to our own.

I hope that makes sense and explains why I'm using those terms.

aspekt
2015-07-05, 08:12 PM
It does make sense. I was a big Civil War buff early on in college. So I certainly agree that these are iconic or even archetypal pictures of the South.

Don't forget, you could make a 19th century TVA be part of possible Reconstruction programs that work. By the mid-19th century Marx is writing Capital and coverage articles for European newspapers of the Civil War. And most of the foundational concepts for what becomes socialism/Marxism are already laid.

For your evil and lesser evil types trying to control slavery and those twisting the laws to their own advantage here is a suggestion. If you are the research and reading type I would recommend a compare/contrast reading of 'I'll Take My Stand', a series of essays by some major Southern writers in the 1930s. But followed by Wendell Berry's 'Sex, Economy, Freedom, and Community'.

You are certainly playing with fire, but if you can pull it off it will be quite a feat.

Good luck to you.

QuintonBeck
2015-07-05, 09:52 PM
It does make sense. I was a big Civil War buff early on in college. So I certainly agree that these are iconic or even archetypal pictures of the South.

Don't forget, you could make a 19th century TVA be part of possible Reconstruction programs that work. By the mid-19th century Marx is writing Capital and coverage articles for European newspapers of the Civil War. And most of the foundational concepts for what becomes socialism/Marxism are already laid.

For your evil and lesser evil types trying to control slavery and those twisting the laws to their own advantage here is a suggestion. If you are the research and reading type I would recommend a compare/contrast reading of 'I'll Take My Stand', a series of essays by some major Southern writers in the 1930s. But followed by Wendell Berry's 'Sex, Economy, Freedom, and Community'.

You are certainly playing with fire, but if you can pull it off it will be quite a feat.

Good luck to you.

I will add them to the research pile and really appreciate the input. As you say, it's fire to play with but I'm hoping to pull it off in a respectful and non-inflammatory manner (pardon the pun) and am very happy it's just for my RL D&D Group and not a large audience in case I fumble. I'd casually wondered why no Fallout games had really referenced the South before and delving into this campaign design I've kind of figured it out :smalltongue:

BladeofObliviom
2015-07-07, 04:36 PM
Hey there Quinton! You're right that there's a reason the closest any commercial Fallout product got to the American South was probably Point Lookout. Fallout Tactics 2 was going to be in Florida, but it got canned.

(Fallout Brotherhood of Steel took place in Texas, but nobody liked that game and it's been utterly disavowed as anti-canon.)

There's some speculation in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371102-Fallout-Fluff-Forum-Plasma-Guns-Power-Armors-Mutants-and-Tribals-no-it-s-not-40K) about what the South might look like in the Fallout setting (among a lot of other things which may or may not be somehow helpful.)

I'd try to offer more insight but my internet is really slow here and I'm having to wait almost a full second for the letters I'm typing to appear onscreen.