PDA

View Full Version : How can I balance the mechanics of my races?

Roxxy
2015-07-03, 11:41 PM
I’m not all that much a fan of the Pathfinder race system, and I prefer systems that have less mechanical impact and more variety within races. That was something I tried for here. I also decided to only have three races from a mechanical standpoint, but have wide ranging variety within each race. Elves don’t just include pale skinned dudes with sharp ears, they also include hengeyokai, gnomes, and a bunch of other people. I have not thought up near enough elven and risi ethnicities (ideas are welcome), and I haven’t really shared details of the cultures of these ethnicities here, as they aren’t ready yet. This thread is about getting things mechanically balanced and seeing of my ethnic descriptions convey enough information to get a view of what people look like without sounding vaguely racist. I am especially worried about the mechanical balance of the elven Bloodline ability, the hengeyokai shapeshifting, and whether the risi keep pace with humans and elves in terms of mechanical abilities.

A note on mechanics - I never did like racial ability score penalties, as they make races less able to step outside the box and do interesting things and make a race less flexible. This is especially problematic when only three races exist. Since all three races are meant to be broad and flexible, I do not see the need for a catch-all race, as humans and half-humans usually are in Pathfinder. As such, I gave humans about as much of a niche as any race has in my setting. I did take away the Human bonus feat, and I know that extra feat is essential to a lot of builds, so I am giving all characters two feats at first level instead of one. All playable races are medium sized (though many risi skirt the very edges of the size category) with 30ft movement speed, and share the same average lifespan. No race or ethnicity has any sort of inherent moral or ethical leaning. Drow and orcs have just as much capability to do good or evil as humans, and do so in about the same proportions as humans.

A note on crossbreeding – Belonging to one of the three races means having ancestry that is at least 75% from that race. Since humans, elves, and risi can interbreed without issue, virtually nobody has ancestry purely of one race, just majority from that race. Characters descended from two or three races are allowed. The GM will assist such a player in choosing ability score bonuses and major and minor abilities.

A note on ethnicity – There is no requirement to select one ethnicity, unless that ethnicity has mechanical impacts, such as hengeyokai or mandriviks. A character can be so multiethnic that they don’t really belong to any ethnicity at all, or a member of two or three distinct ethnicities. Ethnicity is there to give ideas on how people from different parts of the world typically look, and is not meant to have any mechanical effects outside of mandrivik disease resistance and some elves. Ethnicity is also a social construct, not a biological reality, and nobody is “pureblood” anything. If you grab a dwarf off of the street, they’ll have some human ancestors that weren’t dwarves, and probably a few ancestors that weren’t humans. Culture tends to be a factor of nationality first and ethnicity second, so the best place to learn about being an elf or a human is to read about the country they came from.

Human

Ability Scores:
+2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence

Humans are hardy and adapt relatively well to strange or harsh environments, and are quick to pick up new skills and improvise their way around problems.

Major Abilities:

Hardy:

Humans gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.

Study:

At 1st, 8th, and 16th level, humans gain Skill Focus in a skill of their choice as a bonus feat.

Minor Abilities:

Skill Training:

Pick two skills at character creation. These skills become class skills.

Durability:

Humans receive a +2 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments.

Notable Ethnicities. These describe average traits, and intermarriage happens all the time, so people will often have a mixture of different attributes:

East Merundian – East Merundians are the dominant group of Eastern, Southeastern, and Northern parts of the Merundian continent. They average about 5’6” tall for men, and 5’2” tall for women, with southerners averaging shorter and northerners averaging taller. Skin complexion ranges from a yellowish tan or pale and creamy to medium brown, with southerners tending to be darker skinned than northerners. Hair is typically black or brown and straight or wavy, and eyes are usually average or small sized, black or brown, and slightly slanted towards the nose. They often have prominent cheekbones and flattish noses.

West Merundian – West Merundians are the dominant group of Southern and Western Merundia. They average about 5’8” tall for men and 5’5” tall for women, with people being shorter in the east and taller in the west. Their skin ranges from medium to dark brown in the east to medium to light in the west. They usually have straight, wavy, or curly black or brown hair, average or small sized brown or black eyes, and prominent noses.

Elashkan – The dominant group of the continent Elashka, they average about 5’10” for men and 5’6” for women, with people being shorter in the East and North and taller in the South and West. Skin color is medium to dark or very dark brown, with Eastern and Northern Elashkans usually being darker. Their hair tends to be kinky or curly and brown or black and their eyes are average or small sized and brown or black, and their noses are usually narrower to the East or North and broader to the South or West.

Tall Folk – The dominant group of Nitara, they average about 5’10” for men and 5’6” for women, with Southerners being shorter and Northerners taller. Southerners tend to be tan or light brown skinned, while Northerners tend to be light or pale skinned. Their hair tends to be brown or black for Southerners and red, blonde, or light brown for Northerners, and can be curly, wavy, or straight. Their eyes are large and can be brown, black, blue, or green, with blue and green being much more common with Northerners. Southerners tend to have prominent noses and Northerners either slightly broad or slightly narrow noses. They are called the Tall Folk because they outsize their dwarven friends (Tall Folk and dwarves typically get along pretty well on the societal level), not because they are the tallest people around (the risi do outsize them pretty well, after all).

Dwarves – A group native to Nitara, they average about 5’0” for men and 4’8” for women. They are light or pale skinned, with straight or wavy red or light brown hair and large gold or gem colored eyes. They have slightly broad noses, and freckles are a common feature. They commonly intermarry with the Tall Folk, so deviations from the norm are common.

Mandriviks – A traditionally semi-nomadic group native to Eastern and Northern Nitara, they average about 5’8” for men and 5’4” for women. They are pale skinned and have large blue, green, or black eyes and straight or wavy black, red, or brown hair. They have narrow noses, and are especially noted for their retractable fangs. Mandriviks drink animal blood to make up for enzyme deficiencies, and are especially resistant to disease. Characters of primarily Mandrivik ancestry do not get the Human Skill Training ability, instead increasing the Human +2 bonus to saves against poison to a +4 and getting a +4 bonus to saves against disease. Mandrivik fangs are not long enough to be of much use in combat.

Thyressans – The group native to Thyressa. They average about 5’8” for men and 5’4” for women, with people being taller in the north and shorter in the south. They have medium to dark reddish or brown skin, straight or wavy black or brown hair, and average sized black or brown eyes. They usually have broad noses in the north and narrower noses in the south. Most Thyressans alive have large amounts of Tall Folk or Elashkan ancestry do to the effects of colonialism, so variations from this basic body type are highly common.

Elf

Ability Scores:

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma

Elves are nimble and quick, and have an easy charm about them and an innate grasp of sorcery.

Major Abilities:

Bloodline:

All elves have sorcerous blood, though the majority of elves are not Sorcerers. At character creation, all elves gain the 1st level bloodline power from one Sorcerer bloodline of their choice, using it as if they were a 1st level Sorcerer, regardless of character level. An elf who takes levels in a class that grants bloodline powers may not gain the same bloodline power twice. They may either swap out their class bloodline power for an equivalent power (which must be approved by the GM) if their class and race bloodlines are the same, or they may choose different class and race bloodlines.

Elven Luck:

Elves gain a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.

Minor Abilities:

Keen Senses:

Elves gain a +2 bonus to Perception checks, and Perception is always a class skill for them.

Low Light Vision:

Elves can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.

Notable Ethnicities. (These describe average traits, and intermarriage happens, though rather less frequently than it does among Humans, so people will sometimes have a mixture of different attributes):

Alfar – Native to Northern Nitara, the alfar average about 5’5”, with little difference between men and women. They are lightly built and relatively androgynous, and have pale or light skin and large, pointed ears. Their large eyes are sky or sea blue, fern; grass; or leaf-like green, brown, or leaf-like orange or yellow, and their straight or wavy hair is red, light or medium brown, or blonde hair. They only have body hair on their scalps, and have narrow noses. Spots and stripes on the skin are relatively common, though not all elves have them, and come in the same range of colors as their hair and eyes.

Drow – The nocturnal cousins of the alfar, drow are also native to Northern Nitara, and average about 5’5” tall. They have the same slight build and relative androgyny as alfar, with very dark skin that takes on a bluish, purplish, or grayish tone, large gray, silver, dark blue, purple, or black eyes, and straight or wavy white hair, often with a publish, bluish, grayish, or silverish tint. They only have body hair on their scalps, and have narrow noses. Spots and stripes on the skin are relatively common, though not all drow have them, and come in the same range of colors as their hair and eyes. Unlike other elves, drow do not get a +1 bonus to Will saves or Fortitude saves, only to Reflex saves. They also gain 60ft Darkvision instead of Low Light Vision.
Gnomes – Largely believed to be related to the dwarves somehow, gnomes are a race native to the whole of Nitara. They are about 5’0” if men and 4’8” if women, just like dwarves, though they are more slenderly built, and have broad noses. They are light or light browned skinned, with straight or wavy gold or gem colored hair and large gold or gem colored eyes.

Hengeyokai – Native to Eastern and Southern Merundia, Hengeyokai are shapeshifters that appear as humans or as animals. They do not gain the Bloodline ability like other elves, instead gaining the ability to shapeshift:

Shapechanger: A hengeyokai's true form is that of a humanoid with the face of an animal. The animal is that of its clan. A hengeyokai may change shape, appearing either as a human or in the natural form of her clan animal (alter self, beastshape I). A hengeyokai's human features are always the same, as are her animal features and these features are uniquely hers. That is, a hengeyokai cannot choose to take the shape or form of another person or animal in order to disguise herself without access to other abilities or powers. A hengeyokai can revert to her natural form at will. She may adopt her alternate forms a number of times per day equal to 1/2 her character level (minimum 1). (This ability was written for Heroes of the Jade Oath by Green Ronin Press.)

Hengeyokai also do not gain the Elven Luck ability, instead gaining the following:

Hengeyokai magic:

Hengeyokai add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against enchantment spells that they cast. Hengeyokai with a Charisma score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 3/day—dancing lights. Hengeyokai are treated as members of the Kitsune race for the purpose of meeting feat prerequisites (Which means that a Hengeyokai can become a 9 tailed Kitsune).

The following clans exist: Badger (Mujina), Cat (Neko), Dog (Inu), Hare (Usagi), Monkey (Saru), Rat (Nezumi), Fox (Kitsune), and Raccoon-Dog (Tanuki). A Hengeyokai must be a member of a clan, and cannot belong to multiple clans.The names in parenthesis are the names used in the nation in Minoka. Hengeyokai are from many nations and the clans have different names in each, though Racoon-Dog Hengeyokai are only seen in Minoka.

The Skinwalkers of Thyressa are like Hengeyokai and use the same stats, they just have a slightly different array of available clans. Their choices are Cat, Dog, Coyote, Squirrel, Beaver, Monkey, Raccoon, and Fox.

Risi

Ability Scores:

+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom

The risi have the muscle to go with their size, and boast a well developed sense of intuition.

Major Abilities:

Risi Agility:

Despite their great size, risi are very surefooted, and quite good at navigating rough terrain. A risi has a climb speed of 20 feet, with the +8 bonus to Climb checks that implies. A risi also keeps her Dexterity bonus when making an Acrobatics check to cross narrow or uneven ground.

Scent:

Risi gain the scent ability.

Minor Abilities:

Stability:

Low Light Vision:

Risi can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.

Stability:

Risi receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting bull rush or trip attempts while standing on the ground.

Notable Ethnicities. (These describe average traits, and intermarriage happens, though rather less frequently than it does among Humans, so people will sometimes have a mixture of different attributes):

Jotnar – Native to Northern Nitara, Jotnar average about 7’9” for men and 7’7” for women. They have pale skin, straight or wavy white hair, sometimes with a bluish, gray, or silverish tint, and large blue, gray, or silver eyes. Their noses are broad and their builds powerful.

Titan – Native to Southern Nitara, Titans average 7’10” for men and 7’8” for women (making them the tallest playable race in the setting). They have light to medium brown skin, straight or wavy black hair, average sized brown, black, or gold eyes, and prominent noses.

Orc – Native to Western Thyressa, Orcs average 7’9” for men and 7’7” for women. They have greenish or brownish skin, straight or wavy black, brown, or green hair, average sized black, brown, or green eyes, broad noses, and prominent canines.

Tieflings exist, but not as a race. A player who wants to be a tiefling loses a Major Ability of their race and gains either Fiendish Resistance or one of the Advanced Race Guide alternatives to Fiendish Resistance. Aasimar do not exist per se, because those who would be Aasimar are risi (which has to do with the reasons why the Gods do not like the risi).

I don't expect the mechanics to be balanced, this being a first draft, so what did I do that's wonky? What do the ethnic descriptions need? Any ideas for elven or risi ethnicities (Elves are inherently magical people, and risi are basically big people accustomed to relying on the earth for magic and wisdom rather than the Gods, because the Gods hate them.)?

VoxRationis
2015-07-03, 11:57 PM
Regarding the Mandriviks:
How much of a stickler are you for biological accuracy? Because there are a few sticking points that I might want to mention if you care about that sort of thing.

Also, I think you're worrying too much about seeming racially insensitive. Describing physical appearance in a neutral tone will undoubtedly offend a couple of excessively sensitive people somewhere, but that's about it.

Roxxy
2015-07-04, 12:15 AM
Regarding the Mandriviks:
How much of a stickler are you for biological accuracy? Because there are a few sticking points that I might want to mention if you care about that sort of thing.Not very. Dragons probably shouldn't be able to fly, after all. Besides, I have mountain ranges in my setting that exist purely because a god got all annoyed and punched a continent. Unrealistic enzyme deficiencies are the least of the blatantly impossible things my setting has.

The big thing about mandriviks is that they are meant to provide a pale, fanged, well intentioned, and sophisticated blood drinker, while keeping vampires something completely and utterly evil and monstrous (my setting does not have any such thing as a good vampire, and vampires are among the most widely feared monsters around). Mandriviks have no biological or magical connection to vampires at all, and a common stereotype of them is of the doctor, nurse, or alchemist, which stems from a time when disease control was less advanced than it is in the setting currently. The natural disease resistance of the mandriviks let them approach the ill with much less risk of catching whatever they had, which made them very valuable in tending the ill during plagues, leading a lot of mandriviks to study medicine or a related field. They are also pretty dependent on livestock for blood, which is why they eat a meat and dairy heavy diet and are seen as cowboys on more than a few Thyressan ranches.

Also, I think you're worrying too much about seeming racially insensitive. Describing physical appearance in a neutral tone will undoubtedly offend a couple of excessively sensitive people somewhere, but that's about it.I get that somebody oversensitive will get pissed off no matter what, but I like to try to be somewhat evenhanded. I think it comes from the fact that I write post-colonial fantasy, where race is much more relevant than it would be in a medieval world that doesn't really have those concepts of race. Basically, my setting has had a lot of nasty things done on account of race, such as ethnic cleansing and chattel slavery, and has a lot of people who openly think and talk like this (http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/a_f/foster/lifemag.htm). That's why I tend to be a bit zealous about telling where the author's thoughts end and the in-universe bigots begin.

aspekt
2015-07-05, 03:53 AM
Not very. Dragons probably shouldn't be able to fly, after all. Besides, I have mountain ranges in my setting that exist purely because a god got all annoyed and punched a continent. Unrealistic enzyme deficiencies are the least of the blatantly impossible things my setting has.

The big thing about mandriviks is that they are meant to provide a pale, fanged, well intentioned, and sophisticated blood drinker, while keeping vampires something completely and utterly evil and monstrous (my setting does not have any such thing as a good vampire, and vampires are among the most widely feared monsters around). Mandriviks have no biological or magical connection to vampires at all, and a common stereotype of them is of the doctor, nurse, or alchemist, which stems from a time when disease control was less advanced than it is in the setting currently. The natural disease resistance of the mandriviks let them approach the ill with much less risk of catching whatever they had, which made them very valuable in tending the ill during plagues, leading a lot of mandriviks to study medicine or a related field. They are also pretty dependent on livestock for blood, which is why they eat a meat and dairy heavy diet and are seen as cowboys on more than a few Thyressan ranches.

I get that somebody oversensitive will get pissed off no matter what, but I like to try to be somewhat evenhanded. I think it comes from the fact that I write post-colonial fantasy, where race is much more relevant than it would be in a medieval world that doesn't really have those concepts of race. Basically, my setting has had a lot of nasty things done on account of race, such as ethnic cleansing and chattel slavery, and has a lot of people who openly think and talk like this (http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/a_f/foster/lifemag.htm). That's why I tend to be a bit zealous about telling where the author's thoughts end and the in-universe bigots begin.

I would also be interested in the nuts and bolts of determining relative power between home brewed races (or any other thing). Having some concept of potential balancing issues would certainly lighten the load of having to play test every article of a new homebrew.

Perhaps one could use FUDGE's system of comparison using superlatives for each ability?

P.S.
>>>Quietly cheers for Octavia Butler and those like her. <<<