PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Opti for a DD Warder/TM Barb/ Dragon Fury

Elfkin_King
2015-07-04, 12:35 AM
When POW came out I got really excited over the Dervish Defender Warder and the Dragon Fury(PrC), and I wanted to learn how to make the most broken bodyguard using these two classes as a basses, since I've always enjoyed TWF concepts, and the Dragon Fury made that a really viable option.
So, I wrote up the start of this character, and I was originally gonna have him wield two Large Greatswords (or two Greatswords, depending on what's legal considering the Titan Mauler Barbarian). But, ultimately, I decided that the Two-Bladed Sword would work a little better, and it would allow me to incorporate my favorite race rather smoothly as well. Here's what I have so far, using a 25 point buy, and slapping the character at level 20 with a Belt of Physical Perfection (+6 STR, DEX, and Con) and a Headband of Vast Intelligence (+6)

[classes are grouped and compressed for ease of read]
4 Unchained Titan Mauler Barbarian/ 6 Dervish Defender Warder / 10 Dragon Fury
Race: Elf
Str: 24 (16+ 2 from levels, 6 equipment)
Dex: 25 (15+ 2 race, 2 level, 6 equip)
Con: 17 (13, -2 race, + 6 equip)
Int: 24 (15, +2 race, +1 level, +6 equip)
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

He gets TWF free, as well as PA (essentially) from DDW and DF, Rage from the Barb, Full Bab, D12 HD, INT to AC, +4 atk & dmg for TWF, +3 shield AC for TWF

Assuming he's got the feats: ITWF, GTWF, Discipline Focus: TD, Weapon Focus: two-bladed Sword...
Can someone tell me what his attack and damage should be during a Full-Attack?

And I'm reading this as that I can use a Large Two-Bladed Sword at a -1 Penalty instead of a -2
My Math:
20/20/15/15/10/10/5 (-2 for TWF, -6 PA, -1 size, +4 TWF, +1 WF, +7 str) should give him a +4 (24/24/19/19/14/14/9) [+2 to all when raging] to attack?
Damage should be 1d8 or 1d10 +34 (+10 str [1.5 since it's 2h], +18 PA, +2 DF:Thrashing Dragon, +4 TWF] +2 if raging
I can't help but feel like I messed up a little somewhere....
And this is assuming that the weapon is non-magical and non-masterwork.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-04, 12:41 AM
Question: how is this a bodyguard? All I see is a damage-optimized TWF build. Unless you want advice on how to turn this build into a bodyguard, you should probably change the thread title so it isn't misleading.

Karl Aegis
2015-07-04, 01:15 AM
Nah, man. He guards his body by stabbing things in their bits.

Elfkin_King
2015-07-04, 07:24 AM
Question: how is this a bodyguard? All I see is a damage-optimized TWF build. Unless you want advice on how to turn this build into a bodyguard, you should probably change the thread title so it isn't misleading.

As a Dervish Defender Warder he get's this thing that allows him to threaten anything that's in the zone, and he's able to move up to his speed for AoO. He get's an ability to mark those he hits so that they focus on HIM rather than the party.It's just a couple of things there, but those two things really make a difference. The Warder class itself is a bodyguard class.

Edit: that being said, I did change the thread name. ANYWAY, aside from that, can I get someone to check my math here? I plan on using my feats for this character to opti out his defensive and bodyguarding abilities as much as possible.

Elfkin_King
2015-07-04, 11:31 AM
So, is it legal for a medium sized character to wield a large Two-bladed sword with the class abilities from the Titan Mauler Barbarian? Or am I stretching my understanding?

And does the TBS get 1.5 str added to DMG, or is it str/.5str unless you have double slice, in which its str/str? And then with two weapon rend it becomes (w+str/w+str)+1d10+1.5str

Red Fel
2015-07-04, 12:45 PM
So, is it legal for a medium sized character to wield a large Two-bladed sword with the class abilities from the Titan Mauler Barbarian? Or am I stretching my understanding?

No. Jotungrip allows you to wield a two-handed weapon, such as a two-bladed sword, in one hand. However, it imposes a -2 penalty, and the ability explicitly requires it to be appropriately sized for the character.

Ordinarily, a character can wield a larger weapon at a penalty. For example, a Medium character could wield a Large one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon, with a penalty. But the language of the Jotungrip ability is exclusive - "The weapon must be appropriately sized for her[.]" That means Jotungrip only applies to Medium weapons for a Medium character.

Note, however, that a Titan Mauler under the effect of Titanic Rage becomes larger, a la Enlarge Person, and that therefore a Large weapon would be appropriately sized for her during that time.

Elfkin_King
2015-07-04, 10:18 PM
No. Jotungrip allows you to wield a two-handed weapon, such as a two-bladed sword, in one hand. However, it imposes a -2 penalty, and the ability explicitly requires it to be appropriately sized for the character.

Ordinarily, a character can wield a larger weapon at a penalty. For example, a Medium character could wield a Large one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon, with a penalty. But the language of the Jotungrip ability is exclusive - "The weapon must be appropriately sized for her[.]" That means Jotungrip only applies to Medium weapons for a Medium character.

Note, however, that a Titan Mauler under the effect of Titanic Rage becomes larger, a la Enlarge Person, and that therefore a Large weapon would be appropriately sized for her during that time.

OK, I thought I might be stretching it.
Another question I have is how does str apply to a two-bladed sword? If I'm understanding correctly, NORMALLY, it's 1d8+str/1d8+.5str. But under the affects of Double Slash, it becomes 1d8+str/1d8+str, and the standard penalties for twf with the twf feat would apply (-2/-2), correct?

Red Fel
2015-07-05, 12:12 AM
OK, I thought I might be stretching it.
Another question I have is how does str apply to a two-bladed sword? If I'm understanding correctly, NORMALLY, it's 1d8+str/1d8+.5str. But under the affects of Double Slash, it becomes 1d8+str/1d8+str, and the standard penalties for twf with the twf feat would apply (-2/-2), correct?

Well, here's the language of double weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#wpn-quality-double), of which a two-bladed sword is one:
You can use a double weapon to fight as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. You can choose to wield one end of a double weapon two-handed, but it cannot be used as a double weapon when wielded in this way—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

In other words, you can either wield a double weapon as two weapons, in which case you incur two-weapon fighting penalties, or wield it as a single two-handed weapon, in which case you only benefit from one end of it. I'm not sure what you mean by Double Slash - do you mean the Double Slice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/double-slice-combat---final) feat?

Ordinarily, if you're wielding a double weapon, here's how Strength is added: If wielding it as a double weapon, you add 1.5x Str, but only use the damage for one end. In the case of a two-bladed sword, that's 1d8 + 1.5x Str. If wielding both ends, you add your Str to one end, and one-half of your Str to the other. In this case, it's 1d8 + Str and 1d8 + 0.5x Str. (Or, for the algebraically inclined, 2d8 + 1.5x Str.) With the Double Slice feat, you add your Str to both ends, so that's 1d8 + Str and 1d8 + Str. (Or, for the algebraically inclined, 2d8 +2x Str.)
The rest of your observation is correct. If you wield both ends of an appropriately-sized two-bladed sword, you receive the normal penalties for two-weapon fighting. Note that a double-weapon, when both ends are wielded, is treated as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon, thus qualifying for the feat's -2/-2 penalty.

Do note, however, that Jotungrip will probably not allow you to wield both ends of a two-bladed sword in one hand. It allows you to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand; a two-bladed sword is only a two-handed weapon when you are wielding one end. When you are wielding both ends, it is a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. (Note that your DM may be flexible on this, since it is slightly ambiguous.)