PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ignoring specific material components (Without... Eschew Materials)

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-04, 02:03 AM
I'm going to be starting a game soon where it isn't really assumed that the entire arsenal of monsters exists. Polymorphing spells normally require a piece of the creatures body to transform... easily ignored in most games, but in a game where dragons aren't found, there isn't really a justification for have a dragon's scale to use. So, is there a way to ignore that specific material component... besides Eschew Materials? Or False Focus, really. Looking for crunch over fluff, but seeing how this is more an intersection, I'm open to ideas.

Psyren
2015-07-04, 02:21 AM
1) As a costless component, you can simply assume it's in your pouch, whether dragons are in the skies or not.

2) Blood Money can create costless components as well as costly ones.

3) Wish/Limited Wish/Miracle let you ignore all the non-costly components.

4) If you can somehow make it Su or an SLA, those will shed the components too.

5) If you can make it a psychic spell somehow, you can use a "meaningful item" as the focus and eschew any normal materials. (Willing to bet there'll be a wizard archetype that does exactly that...)

May I ask why not Eschew though?

Eox
2015-07-04, 02:21 AM
Why would you be transforming into a dragon in a setting where dragons don't exist?

Madbranch
2015-07-04, 02:34 AM
Why would you be transforming into a dragon in a setting where dragons don't exist?

To pretend you're a god and attract believers obviously.

Jay R
2015-07-04, 09:43 AM
When you change one rule, you often have to change other rules or recognize that it made a difference that can't be undone.

Either you cannot transform into creatures that don't exist, or the material component to do so is something else.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-04, 09:53 AM

I'd think Maleficent provides an adequate explanation.

1) As a costless component, you can simply assume it's in your pouch, whether dragons are in the skies or not.

2) Blood Money can create costless components as well as costly ones.

3) Wish/Limited Wish/Miracle let you ignore all the non-costly components.

4) If you can somehow make it Su or an SLA, those will shed the components too.

5) If you can make it a psychic spell somehow, you can use a "meaningful item" as the focus and eschew any normal materials. (Willing to bet there'll be a wizard archetype that does exactly that...)

May I ask why not Eschew though?

Cause I don't want to spend a feat? I'd rather go with False Focus if I had to anyway, because of ignoring material components up to 100 gp.

When you change one rule, you often have to change other rules or recognize that it made a difference that can't be undone.

Either you cannot transform into creatures that don't exist, or the material component to do so is something else.

This one is... iffy. And as I implied above, transforming into some new form is kinda cool. Besides, this conversation happened:

GM: You need a dragon's scale to cast Form of the Dragon, right? Then you're **** outta luck.
Me: Well if I was going sorcerer or bloodrager, they get Eschew Materials.
GM: That works then.

Generally there is a 'don't assume' sort of mentality. And I know they EXIST, just... not there.

Jack_Simth
2015-07-04, 10:18 AM
Let's see...

Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money) has already been mentioned, as has False Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/false-focus).

There is also the Robe of Components (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-of-components) - for 5k market, you get unlimited costless components, and up to 50 gp in expensive components (including focuses) each day. You're getting Craft Wondrous Item at some point anyway, right?

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-04, 10:25 AM
The Robe of Components was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I might not be able to make it myself, but magic items are easy enough to commission.

Jack_Simth
2015-07-04, 10:39 AM
The Robe of Components was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I might not be able to make it myself, but magic items are easy enough to commission.
Glad to help.

Heh. Of course, I've got a character for an upcoming game that ended up with Eschew Materials (bonus feat) and False Focus (for the unlimited < 100 gp ignoring stuff) and Blood Money (for mitigating costs that False Focus doesn't cover) and a Robe of Components (for actual focuses)....

Did I mention I don't like paying for class features?

Renen
2015-07-04, 12:07 PM
To be honest if you are T1 you should not mind paying for class features. Imagine how poor fighters feel.

Jack_Simth
2015-07-05, 12:02 PM
To be honest if you are T1 you should not mind paying for class features. Imagine how poor fighters feel.A tier-2 base, actually, until the campaign bonus stuff (which pushes things up AT LEAST one tier), but yeah. I tend to focus on buff spells for the party.