PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Monk Subclass

Grand Warchief
2015-07-04, 07:57 AM
To skip to the class description, scroll down to "Class Description."

So I had this dream where this guy in simple clothes walked up to a group of adventurers and asked to join them on an adventure they were starting. The party looked him up and down and saw that he was lean and not overly muscled, had no shoes, no backpack, and wielded what appeared to be PVC pipe (if you're about to ask how a PVC pipe got into DnD remember, it was a dream. The significance of the pipe will be revealed later). Thinking this was a joke, the party fighter stepped forward and said, "Hah! We can't have just anyone watching our backs. Prove that you can hold your own against me and we'll consider it."

The monk looked at him and said simply, "Sure thing, I must apologize though."

"For what?"

"For this." And he assumed his fighting stance. The fight ended quickly with the monk striking rapidly, dancing around the fighter with ease. With his final attack the monk delivered a might blow that knocked the fighter back over 30 feat into the wall behind him. With a cough and a staggered breath, the fighter apologized for underestimating the monk and gladly allowed him to join the party, creating a friendship that would last until I woke up.

Now. I realize that this seems like any old monk but several ideas popped into my head as I lay there reveling at the speed and dexterity the Staff Master possessed. I decided to write them down and see what you playgrounders thought. I'm open to suggestions but want to stick with a 1-20 build on him. All feats and variant rules are fair game though since I don't know them all, please describe and reference them if you suggest them. Thanks in advance. (I'm also looking for fluff critiques, as I kinda threw it together) The subclass follows:

Class Description:

Way of the Staff
Monks of the Way of the Staff have taken it upon themselves to master a style of combat that doesn't rely on having the perfect weapon, nor do they go through the same vigorous training that hardens their hands and feet into weapons. Instead, they focused their training on the Quarterstaff. Through this training, they mastered not the weapon itself, but the spirit and style that is required to wield it with unparalleled perfection.

Order of the Stick-
Starting at 3rd level when you select this tradition, you train yourself in the styles, disciplines, and techniques of the Quarterstaff exclusively, resulting in your ability to wield it in ways others almost disbelieve.
- All Staff Master abilities only work when using a quarterstaff or quarterstaff-like-weapon.
- Any item that resembles a quarterstaff in size and shape can be used as an improvised quarterstaff by the Staff Master, gaining his martial arts damage. Such items can include but are not limited to, walking sticks, broken polearms, candleposts, etc. (DM discretion) Other weapons such as Pikes and halberds that are in good working order are not applicable.
- The bonus unarmed strike from the monk's Martial Arts ability and the Flurry of Blows ability can be made with a quarterstaff if the monk desires.
- The Staff Master gains advantage on all Acrobatics and Athletics checks that can be assisted with his quarterstaff. Examples of checks that would gain advantage may include but are not limited to are, bracing a door against an intruder, balancing on a tight rope, jumping/vaulting over a pit, etc. (DM discretion)

Empowered Strikes-
Beginning at 6th level, the Staff Master's inherent energies flow through him into his staff, dealing extra damage. Every third successful strike in combat deals bonus damage equal to the monks current martial arts die. For example, a monk of 6th level has a martial arts die of 1d6. Every third successful hit from the Staff Master deals an extra 1d6 damage.
At level 14 the bonus damage is applied on every 2nd successful hit.

Optional Empowered Strikes (for those that don't like a little bookkeeping)-
Beginning at 6th level, the Staff Master's inherent energies flow through him into his staff, dealing extra damage. The Staff Master can cast Magic Weapon as per the spell by spending Ki points. When the Staff Master first learns the ability, it costs 1 Ki point and is cast as if using a second level spell slot. At level 9 the Staff Master can choose to spend 2 Ki points to cast it as if using a fourth level spell slot. At level 12 the Staff Master can choose to spend 3 Ki points to cast it as if using a sixth level spell slot.

Forceful Blow-
At 11th level, the Staff Master is able to put tremendous power into a single strike, knocking his opponent away without directly damaging him. By spending 1 Ki point, the Staff Master makes a single attack as a bonus action against an opponent within reach that deals no damage. You roll your damage normally, but instead of damaging your opponent with the force of the impact, you knock him back directly away from you 2 feet for every point of damage you would have dealt. For example, you roll 2d6+3 and get 12. You would knock the opponent back 24 feet.
If your opponent collides with a solid surface, such as a wall or cliff face, he takes 1d6 points of damage for every 5 feet he travels, rounding the distance down to the nearest 5 foot increment. For example, the opponent who traveled 24 feet would take damage as if he traveled only 20 feet, resulting in 4d6 points of damage from the impact.
Proper positioning is key to using this ability properly. Use it to your advantage when in confined areas such as cities, caves, or canyons.
If you are using miniatures and the grid system for your combats, round all distances to the nearest 5 foot square.

Level 17
(Not sure yet, hoping for some good feedback and ideas.)

Hopefully you guys don't think it's stupid or anything. It was an idea I had that I really liked and realized later kinda mimics jax from league of legends. (Not intentional at all btw. ) like I said, I'm looking for feedback and critiques, ideas and suggestions. Please let me know what you think in the comments below.

The only idea I had for lvl 17 was to have the bonus attack from the martial arts style no longer cost a bonus action but instead group it into his regular attack, but I didn't want to step on the toes of any fighters out there.

Thanks in advance :)

Edits:
7-4-15)
- All previous edits: clarification and spelling
7-5-15)
- 1255: Added optional empowered strike ability for debate, one of them will become the final ability.

djreynolds
2015-07-04, 08:25 AM
Very cool. But now you must think of a build for Little John type. Ranger staff wielder.

Shaofoo
2015-07-04, 08:53 AM
Here is some feedback

Make it so that items that could be considered quarterstaves aren't already considered other weapons, so we can prevent monks from grabbing a halberd or a Pike and acting like these could technically be considered quarterstaves but also enjoy a higher damage bonus and reach. I know you said DM's discretion but I would think that you should make it so that improvised weapons could enjoy being considered quarterstaves.

Enpowered Strikes is too much book keeping, probably make it so that on the first attack you deal each round you deal extra Wisdom mod damage instead.

Hawkstar
2015-07-04, 09:27 AM
Make it so that items that could be considered quarterstaves aren't already considered other weapons, so we can prevent monks from grabbing a halberd or a Pike and acting like these could technically be considered quarterstaves but also enjoy a higher damage bonus and reach. I know you said DM's discretion but I would think that you should make it so that improvised weapons could enjoy being considered quarterstaves.
... or, possibly, allow monks to have the higher damage die and reach on their quarterstaves..

Shaofoo
2015-07-04, 09:50 AM
... or, possibly, allow monks to have the higher damage die and reach on their quarterstaves..

So you are saying that if this monk were to get a quarterstaff of any kind that it should deal 1d10 damage and have reach.

Not trying to be argumentative but it would be best if the ability actually directly says that instead of hoping that the player can figure it out that you could technically use a pike as a quarterstaff (though I guess with polearm master it really isn't that much of a puzzle).

I wouldn't mind if this particular monk had a stronger quarterstaff for his own use.

Grand Warchief
2015-07-04, 10:16 AM
I'll edit that part to clarify. It is meant to be an improvised thing. So he could use a broken Pike, but not a regular one. It has to be the approximate size and shape of the quarterstaff to be applicable. As for the empowered strike, I don't think it's that much bookkeeping. It's up to the player to time his strikes and aim them at the right targets at the right time to use it properly. And the extra damage is going to be the same as his weapon damage cause quarterstaffs use martial arts damage.

Grand Warchief
2015-07-04, 03:02 PM
I'm still looking for feedback and what to do for the lvl 17 ability. Any thoughts are welcome and will be considered.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-04, 03:04 PM
Wrong forum. Move to homebrew design please.

Grand Warchief
2015-07-04, 03:06 PM
How do I move it?

JNAProductions
2015-07-04, 03:17 PM
Report it and ask in the report to be moved to the Homebrew section.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-04, 03:28 PM
Report it and ask in the report to be moved to the Homebrew section.

What you say.

Haruki-kun
2015-07-04, 11:57 PM
The Winged Mod: Moved to Homebrew Design. Carry on.

djreynolds
2015-07-05, 08:35 AM
I'm still looking for feedback and what to do for the lvl 17 ability. Any thoughts are welcome and will be considered.

Is the ranger whirlwind class feature too powerful? I mean it is 17th level.

Grand Warchief
2015-07-05, 08:40 AM
Is the ranger whirlwind class feature too powerful? I mean it is 17th level.

I don't want to give him an ability that another class already has. I want it to be as unique as possible and as awesome as possible =D

Amnoriath
2015-07-05, 08:52 AM
The concept is there but it needs to be an actual monk subclass. Namely this has no ki options in and of itself. Both of the 4th option of the Order of the Stick and Empowered Strikes is just too much. The former could really apply to almost anything those two skills can do and the later is just free damage, almost equaling a free attack. Then Forceful Blow is clunky in how it works and it is easy control for free.

BRKNdevil
2015-07-05, 10:34 AM
Make sure that the unarmed strike and flurry is using either the one handed damage or the base monk damage until the base monk damage exceeds the damage from the 2 handed quarterstaff.

I'd consider making the empowered strikes is by attunement to the quarterstaff and be able to spend points to cast magic weapon and elemental weapon using the same method as the elemental monk.

Just have the 11th ability as an addon on hit for 1 ki point for 5, 2 for 10 etc. but I'd actually go for a prone condition for flurry and the bonus action attack instead for no ki points and the normal dc

Ok, never heard of Jax till now and he is f'n awesome (brass lampost for the win) but I dunno how you would determine what parts would be under the effect of a flurry then and you need wording to prevent them from doing flurry twice for a 6 attack round. Past that i dunno about the balance

djreynolds
2015-07-05, 02:31 PM
All right once per short rest, the monk can spin his staff so furiously that it raises a dust storm adding his proficiency bonus to his armor class and people who do strike him take damage from an electrical discharge. Also he can hide some many party members as well. Tanky like survivor feat.

Ogrillian
2015-07-07, 06:16 AM
For level 17
weapon harmonization. Spend 4 Ki points to hit with max damage only work on basic attacks. If your attack is 1d10 and lands you'd do 10+DEX, 10+DEX, bonus attack 1d10+DEX