PDA

View Full Version : Custom magic items

Immabozo
2015-07-04, 01:44 PM
What is the coolest custom magic item you have created? Was it allowed in a game? If not, why?

I had a War Hulk, war hulks can throw 50 pound boulders for 1D8 + str, who wanted a bag of holding that was always filled with gnomes (who weigh 50 pounds) with "Flesh to stone" cast on them, once thrown, would dispel the flesh to stone and teleport them back home, unharmed. Alternatively, I thought of a version that would have them running around with a "confusion" spell on them, for a few rounds before being sent home.

This item, I had Playground help coming up with the cost, was 32,000 gold.

This item was not allowed in game, because the DM did not like me, but the excuse given was that it would single handedly break the game. (Throwing boulders for 1D8 + str, which I could already do, it was pure flavor, I was so upset)

But a month or so later, the DM awarded to a player, who he really liked, a +2 mithral full plate intelligent item that gave him advice on any given situation, +20 spot and listen and 3-4 SLAs each usable 3x/day. This game single handedly ACTUALLY broke the game. He got mid 40s spot and listen checks and the DM never was able to sneak up on us again. Edit: at level 10

Thurbane
2015-07-04, 11:06 PM
I'm quite fond of my Fighting Trousers (+1 deflection to AC, use Heroics 1/day), but they've not seen actual gameplay yet.

Also, Bracers of the Whirlwind (grant the Whirlwind Attack feat, use the Whirling Blade spell 1/day): again, not seen actual gameplay.

Jay R
2015-07-05, 08:57 AM
The Feathered Hat of Panache
+4 DEX, +4 CHA if unarmored. Also grants Weapon Finesse.

The Helm of the Bull
+6 STR. Also grants Improved Bullrush and Improved Overrun, and +10" movement in combat.

The Ring of True Invulnerability
When worn, the ring cannot be destroyed or harmed in any way.
[If the character is destroyed the ring acts like his phylactery, but nobody knows that unless it happens.]

Sir_Chivalry
2015-07-05, 10:48 AM

The Helm of the Bull
+6 STR. Also grants Improved Bullrush and Improved Overrun, and +10" movement in combat.

[If the character is destroyed the ring acts like his phylactery, but nobody knows that unless it happens.]

What's the cost on that Helm? I know a player who'd love that

Immabozo
2015-07-05, 11:43 AM

The Helm of the Bull

I love the ring, haha. Have these seen game playtime? Especially that helm! Seems a little OP, haha.

I3igAl
2015-07-05, 01:22 PM
Also, Bracers of the Whirlwind (grant the Whirlwind Attack feat, use the Whirling Blade spell 1/day): again, not seen actual gameplay.

I really like those. Since Whirlwind Attack is such a subpar Feat with al it's perequisites, it is nearly never used. Making a Whirlwind Attack Item allows players to use this flavourful ability without crippling themselves.

frost890
2015-07-05, 11:49 PM
I made a magic skull with the soul of an enemy trapt in it. It worked like a reference computer and I got access to some new spells.

Immabozo
2015-07-06, 01:50 AM
I made a magic skull with the soul of an enemy trapt in it. It worked like a reference computer and I got access to some new spells.

so it gave + to knowledge checks and spell slots per day at the cost of your offhand slot?

RoyVG
2015-07-06, 05:51 AM
We called it the Shirt of @$$hole Healing, which let you redirect any healing spell cast in the vicinity towards you... which we eventually found out, was basically a Shirt of the Leech.

Jay R
2015-07-06, 07:24 AM
I love the ring, haha. Have these seen game playtime? Especially that helm! Seems a little OP, haha.

By definition of how magic items are priced, it can't be OP, merely overly expensive.

What's the cost on that Helm? I know a player who'd love that

I don't know how much to charge for additional Feats in an item. I'm pretty new to 3.5 (I started playing original D&D in 1975.)

+6 STR is 36,000, doubled for the wrong location. (Although if I actually included it in the game, I'd probably not double it and restrict its use to charging, bull rushes, and overruns.)

So as laid out, it's well over 72,000 gp.

turbo164
2015-07-06, 08:28 AM
I don't know how much to charge for additional Feats in an item. I'm pretty new to 3.5 (I started playing original D&D in 1975.)

In 3.5 you can purchase Iron Will for 3,000 from the Otyugh Hole, there's an Ioun Stone that gives Alertness for 10,000, and iirc the Arms and Equipment Guide (3.0) suggested 10,000 for custom Feat items. So probably somewhere in there, though some feats are more valuable than others (some people even houserule Weapon Finesse as being free for everyone) and there are plenty of items that break other guidelines.

Jay R
2015-07-06, 08:30 AM
Back in original D&D, the DM gave a Bag of Imitation. Anything you put in the bag would be duplicated, but the imitations were worthless - copies of magic items didn't work, gold would be fool's gold, food wouldn't nourish, gems would be obvious fakes. You'd think this was a worthless item, wouldn't you? So did its owner. But I stumbled onto a use for it. It got me many magic items - a dozen potions, some scrolls, two magic swords, three suits of armor, a shield, a couple of wands, a bag of holding, and some I can no longer remember.

My character rescued a party who had been turned to stone. But while they were recuperating, he duplicated all their magic items, leaving them the fakes.

When they discovered that none of their magic items worked, they argued with the DM that being turned to stone shouldn't have stopped their items from working. The DM told then that their characters didn't know why the items weren't working. Then they tried to re-power the items, which didn't work. Eventually, they tried to research what would "turn off" a bunch of magic items.

But they never came looking for their stolen items, because they never suspected that the items had been stolen.

Inevitability
2015-07-06, 10:28 AM
By definition of how magic items are priced, it can't be OP, merely overly expensive.

Candle of Invocation says hi.

Malimar
2015-07-06, 11:39 AM
I had a party that was very fond of its Bag of Infinite Muffins (always contains a muffin no matter how many muffins you pull out. any flavor, but biased towards banana nut).

Magma Armor0
2015-07-06, 02:11 PM
I had a buffed version of the amulet of retributive healing once: ~8600 gold for any time you heal someone else, you also heal yourself.
Of course, being able to Share Spells with my unicorn made it a little more powerful than the DM may have anticipated...

Immabozo
2015-07-06, 02:45 PM
Back in original D&D, the DM gave a Bag of Imitation. Anything you put in the bag would be duplicated, but the imitations were worthless - copies of magic items didn't work, gold would be fool's gold, food wouldn't nourish, gems would be obvious fakes. You'd think this was a worthless item, wouldn't you? So did its owner. But I stumbled onto a use for it. It got me many magic items - a dozen potions, some scrolls, two magic swords, three suits of armor, a shield, a couple of wands, a bag of holding, and some I can no longer remember.

My character rescued a party who had been turned to stone. But while they were recuperating, he duplicated all their magic items, leaving them the fakes.

When they discovered that none of their magic items worked, they argued with the DM that being turned to stone shouldn't have stopped their items from working. The DM told then that their characters didn't know why the items weren't working. Then they tried to re-power the items, which didn't work. Eventually, they tried to research what would "turn off" a bunch of magic items.

But they never came looking for their stolen items, because they never suspected that the items had been stolen.

This is hilarious and amazing