PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Instable Terrain(Players of my Campaign: DONT READ!)

ImSAMazing
2015-07-04, 02:15 PM
SPOILER ALERT for the player of my campaign! Stop reading now if you are in my campaign.

Allright Playgrounders,

I have a world where due the sacrifice of a God some land has become unstable. The air shakes like it's really hot, and after 8 hours of traveling you need to make a Con. save(DC 15), else your speed is reduced by 5 feet. All random encounters are Undead or other rotten creatures.

Any other things that I should add in as debuffs/buffs?

Shaofoo
2015-07-04, 02:25 PM
So I am assuming the reason you speed down is become necromantic energy permeates the area and makes living beings adverse to such effects.

A big thing about necromantic enemies is either preventing healing or reducing your max HP, maybe not go fully in that direction but during a short rest all Hit Dice spent heal half the stated value (rounded up).

I am not sure how could a hostile environment give buffs but maybe give the effect of False Life to the characters if something happens

Kerilstrasz
2015-07-04, 02:43 PM
Lets see.. unstable earth..
sounds earthquak-ish..

add con save to resist toxic fumes coming from fissures on the ground
add dex save/accrobatics , to keep balance while climbing or walking a narrow edge or to avoid falling rocks/trees
add random saves for random spells firing at will, as magic polution interferes with material plane, as the god's residual magic powers still decipating to the multyverse

i think these are enough :P

if not..
plan for a toxic rain if they stay in the open for more time that you want them to :P

ImSAMazing
2015-07-05, 06:07 AM
Any other feedback/idea's?

Shaofoo
2015-07-05, 07:59 AM
I can't really say more unless I actually get more information.

I mean it is very ambiguous already, how did the god's death affect the land exactly? How did the god die? Was he scarified cult style or did he sacrifice himself to stop something? Are there any societies living in this unstable land? How do they deal with the bad effects? Can they deal with the bad effects over time? Could this unstableness be harnessed in any other way by any secondary agents?

It is hard to come up with ideas unless we have the context for them.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-05, 01:19 PM
I can't really say more unless I actually get more information.

I mean it is very ambiguous already, how did the god's death affect the land exactly? How did the god die? Was he scarified cult style or did he sacrifice himself to stop something? Are there any societies living in this unstable land? How do they deal with the bad effects? Can they deal with the bad effects over time? Could this unstableness be harnessed in any other way by any secondary agents?

It is hard to come up with ideas unless we have the context for them.

Well, there was a war going on between two kind of people: hard working vs lazy but rich. Each side was helped by a God, but the war was going on for more than 10 years, and so much people died. That's why one God sacrificed hisself by making a magical wall so the Gods wouldn't be able to help the sides of the war. This wall was broken after 5000 years, but the Gods sacrifice made the world change. Some area's changed with it, some did not. The ones who did not became unstable...

Osrogue
2015-07-05, 02:43 PM
What kind of God was he? Knowing that would indicate what element of the environment is out of control.

It doesn't need to be a god over natural forces either, but knowing his/her domain would help you decide how the environment is affected.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-06, 02:43 AM
What kind of God was he? Knowing that would indicate what element of the environment is out of control.

It doesn't need to be a god over natural forces either, but knowing his/her domain would help you decide how the environment is affected.

Life and light.