PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying I need help naming things.

ekarney
2015-07-04, 03:44 PM
As the title, I'm currently working on some homebrew classes (A couple are reasonably playable)
However, I'm having issues coming up with names for class features.
Currently I need names for:
A Flagellant style class, (Limited divine casting, has rage a heap of Con based features)
3 Different styles of Native American style classes, ones a mounted horde warrior, the other a tracker who gains magical bonuses from warpaint (Similar system to binding), and a ranger-esque class.
A raider style shock trooper.

Any help would be appreciated, hell even if you want to suggest class abilities that'll be cool, bt I got most of them covered.

Venger
2015-07-04, 04:00 PM
As the title, I'm currently working on some homebrew classes (A couple are reasonably playable)
However, I'm having issues coming up with names for class features.
Currently I need names for:
A Flagellant style class, (Limited divine casting, has rage a heap of Con based features)
3 Different styles of Native American style classes, ones a mounted horde warrior, the other a tracker who gains magical bonuses from warpaint (Similar system to binding), and a ranger-esque class.

Any help would be appreciated, hell even if you want to suggest class abilities that'll be cool, bt I got most of them covered.

what kind of vibe or flavor do you want for these?

flagellant: cenobite, penitent, petitioner, supplicant
mounted guy: need more detail
tracker: pathfinder, painted shaman,
ranger: need more detail
shock trooper: need more detail

ShaneMRoth
2015-07-04, 04:08 PM

The Penitent.

1) The Thoroughbred (or Horseborn)

2) The Shadow Wolf

3) Sometimes you just have to call a Ranger a Ranger.

Make it an homage to Firefly...

The Browncoat.

Or, make it an homage to the USMC...

The Jarhead.

ekarney
2015-07-04, 04:51 PM

ooooh, I like those flagellant names!

I've actually got class names for these classes, just not feature names,
The shock troopers deal is to basically get the biggest weapon he can find, and gets bonuses for being adjacent to as many enemies as possible.
the Ranger is pretty basic, tracking, hunting skills, it's only there to allow early access into one of the other 2 classes related to it.
The names are
Flagellant (Pending, I wanna add something to the end, maybe in latin
Wild Horse (Mounted guy)
White Horse (ranger)
Dead Horse, though I might change that to avoid any jokes that come from entering melee combat with it(The tracker/binder dude)
Merit's Marauder

Venger
2015-07-04, 04:59 PM
ooooh, I like those flagellant names!

I've actually got class names for these classes, just not feature names,
The shock troopers deal is to basically get the biggest weapon he can find, and gets bonuses for being adjacent to as many enemies as possible.
the Ranger is pretty basic, tracking, hunting skills, it's only there to allow early access into one of the other 2 classes related to it.
The names are
Flagellant (Pending, I wanna add something to the end, maybe in latin
Wild Horse (Mounted guy)
White Horse (ranger)
Dead Horse, though I might change that to avoid any jokes that come from entering melee combat with it(The tracker/binder dude)
Merit's Marauder

why so you did. I read too quickly and thought you wanted names for the classes.

okay, if you could list features, I could give you better advice. naming things is something of a speciality of mine.

PraxisVetli
2015-07-04, 05:03 PM

+1 to Cenobite
The name alone makes me wanna play one

Karl Aegis
2015-07-04, 05:04 PM
{scrubbed}

Venger
2015-07-04, 05:25 PM
+1 to Cenobite
The name alone makes me wanna play one
Thanks. I aim to please.

{scrubbed}
The fact that he's asking for help picking names for his american indian themed classes at all means this is something he's trying to avoid rather than just calling them something that you would deem offensive.

if it's of such great concern to you, how about you actually try to help him?

Threadnaught
2015-07-04, 06:33 PM
Horse Guy
Eorlindas
Unite the Tribes
Ride to the Tribes
Rider of [legendary beast]/[legendary beast] Rider
One with Mount
Mount Speaker
As the Wind Blows

(names stolen from Lord of the Rings, Pocahontas and James Cameron's Smurfs)

Tracker Guy
Snake in the Grass
Naked Vision
Solid Path
Liquid Fox
Solidus Hound
Face of the Beauty
Face of the Beast
Pliskin Seal

(Names stolen from Metal Gear Solid)

ekarney
2015-07-04, 07:57 PM
why so you did. I read too quickly and thought you wanted names for the classes.

okay, if you could list features, I could give you better advice. naming things is something of a speciality of mine.

Keep in mind, these classes are essentially pre-alpha at the moment, I heaven't gotten around to testing them yet. so if anything looks horribly cheesey and broken drop me a PM about it and I'll work on it, most of the class features are named, but they're placeholders, since some of my players were interested in playtesting them

Flagellant: https://goo.gl/Ylvffs
White Horse/Ranger: https://goo.gl/d3LXG0
Wild Horse/Mounted PrC: https://goo.gl/VCMVr2
Dead Horse/Tracker: https://goo.gl/5lviKJ
Marauder (Second page): https://goo.gl/udmfCT

Feel free to comment on the abilities, just via PM please.

Scorponok
2015-07-05, 01:54 AM
I kind of like Lightfoot for the aboriginal ranger type guy, War Rider for the mounted horde warrior and Stormbrave for the warpaint warrior.

ekarney
2015-07-05, 05:55 PM
I kind of like Lightfoot for the aboriginal ranger type guy, War Rider for the mounted horde warrior and Stormbrave for the warpaint warrior.

Ooooooh, those are a really interesting sounding!
And tough sounding!