PDA

View Full Version : Stop impaling my organs!

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 01:11 PM
Spleen-Impaler
Large Abberation
HD: 4d8+3 (21 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 19 (-1 Size, +10 Natural Armour)
Touch 9, Flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+10
Attack: Tail Sting+5 melee (1d6+4 plus poison) or Tongue Spike+5 ranged (1d6+4 plus poison)
Full Attack: Tail Sting+5melee (1d6+4 plus poison) and 2 Claws+3 melee (1d6) or Tongue Spike+5 ranged (1d6+4 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Attacks: Rake (1d6+2), Pounce, Tongue Spike, Impale, Poison
Special Qualities: Resistance to Fire 10, Darkvision 60ft, Tremorsense 30ft, Immobile Stance
Saves: Fort+5, Ref+1, Will+3
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills: Climb+8, Hide+4, Jump+8, Listen+3, Search+4, Spot+3
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate Mountains
Organisation: Solitary or Pack (3-6)
CR:
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral

Ahead you see a pack of creatures skulking towards you low to the ground. They look like a cross between a cougar and a turtle, covered with spikes. Their tails flick through the air at lightning speed and you feel a throbbing pain in your arm.

Crossbred specifically as guard creatures long ago, since then many have escaped into the wild as their own species. They are comparable to orange cougars with brown turtle shells on their backs. The shell is littered with about 10-20 spikes for an average sized specimen and they also have spikes on their snakelike tongue. Their tail ends in a fearsome stinger. Spleen-Impalers are about 5ft long and 6ft tall.

COMBAT

A solo spleen-impaler is likely to flee if outmatched. A pack is an entirely different story. Prior to engagement they will try to surround the target. Some will spring from hiding to charge, pounce and rend or impale their opponents, while the others hang back to flick their sharp, poisoned tongues.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +5 melee, damage 1d6+2
Pounce (Ex): If a spleen-impaler charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including 2 rake attacks
Tongue Spike (Ex): A spleen-impaler’s tongue is hollow, with the sharp point functioning like a syringe (similar to the tail, and utilising the same poison as the tail). The tongue has a maximum range of 30ft, and has no range increment.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 13, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Con. The DC is Constitution based.
Immobile Stance (Ex): At will a spleen-impaler can make itself virtually immobile by anchoring itself to the surrounding terrain with its four large, strong feet. In this stance, the spleen-impaler receives +20 stability bonus on opposed strength checks to resist a bull rush or to otherwise be moved, and it cannot be overrun. This ability can be activated or deactivated as a free action.
Impale (Ex): If a spleen-impaler has successfully grappled a Medium or smaller creature, it can attempt to impale the creature on its back spines by making a successful grapple check. Doing so is a standard action that does not incur attacks of opportunity. If the spleen-impaler impales a creature, it takes 4d8+2 points of damage and is considered pinned. Each round the creature takes another 2d8 points of damage as the movement of the spleen-impaler causes additional pain.
The creature cannot get free unless it succeeds a DC18 Strength check. Success indicates the creature is free, but takes 2d8 damage in the process. Failure means the creature takes 4d8 damage and remains pinned. An ally can free a trapped creature with a DC10 Strength check.
Once a creature has been impaled a spleen-impaler is no longer considered grappled, but cannot attack an impaled creature.
The back spikes can only take 1 Medium, 2 Small, or 4 Tiny creatures at once. Creatures smaller than Tiny can be ground against the spikes for 4d8 damage each round a successful grapple check is made, but both the creature and the spleen-impaler are still considered grappled.
Skills: In mountainous terrain a spleen-impaler receives an extra +4 to Hide checks.

I got this idea from my sister playing Neverwinter Nights 2 saying "Stop impaling me" or something along those lines. Isobel, this one's for you!

CR? Coments?

jindra34
2007-04-29, 01:16 PM
should do all on full attack

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 01:33 PM
Why exactly?

jindra34
2007-04-29, 01:38 PM
Why exactly?

on a full attack you can may every attack possible look at MM very few use alternate natural weapons in a full attack they can attack with them all... (scratch that just tail plus claws on full attack)

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 01:43 PM
No, I'm asking what tangible benefit would having more attacks in one round give him? Good idea though, I'll consider it for flavour.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 01:48 PM
Bump

You're avatar was done by Rumda? Cause she was part of my alliance in OOTS Showdown #2 (as Redcloak, then Yikyik). She died both times, but she was still part of the team.

jindra34
2007-04-29, 01:56 PM
No, I'm asking what tangible benefit would having more attacks in one round give him? Good idea though, I'll consider it for flavour.

umm... more damage...

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 02:01 PM
Touche...touche

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-04-30, 06:54 PM
You know, this is something I could imagine Invader Zim saying...

KazilDarkeye
2007-05-01, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Invader Zim rocks. I really like Gir's "defensive modes" - you know, when he jumps into a sack/ jumps out the window...priceless