PDA

View Full Version : Initiative bonuses?

Mjolnirbear
2015-07-04, 08:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out all the ways you can get a bonus to initiative. So far i have:

* Enhance Ability spell
* Alert feat
* Jack of all trades bard ability
* remarkable Athlete champion ability
* bardic Inspiration
* guidance (i think?)

Are there any others? I started on this project after reading the Sage Advice pdf and seeing the J O A T comment. Right after that my DM declared you can't JOAT initiative because you can't get proficiency for it. So i decided to see what i could find :)

Ashrym
2015-07-04, 08:26 PM
There's a rogue subtype in the unearthed arcana articles that granted CHA mod to initiative, 7th level barbarians gain advantage with feral instinct, foresight gives advantage, peerless skill can be used for initiative. Stroke of luck lets a rogue treat an ability check as a 20, but based on the wording of failing a check first DM's may or may not allow it.

Naanomi
2015-07-04, 08:31 PM
A few spells and class abilities can apply to it as well I think... Guidance? Wild Mage and Fiend Warlock class abilities?

Shaofoo
2015-07-04, 11:21 PM
I am not 100% sure if this is legal but maybe if a friend could use the Help action to help you initiative as well

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-05, 06:00 AM
I am not 100% sure if this is legal but maybe if a friend could use the Help action to help you initiative as well

That isn't going to work.

If it is even allowed. When could he use the action, he can't take the help action if he doesn't have an action...

ImSAMazing
2015-07-05, 06:06 AM
That isn't going to work.

If it is even allowed. When could he use the action, he can't take the help action if he doesn't have an action...

You are true, Initiative is not an action. It's just to determine when someone can take his turn.

Morcleon
2015-07-05, 06:46 AM
If you have a magic item with the Guardian minor feature, you get a +2 to initiative.