PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding a Capturing Mons RPG with Good Combat?

HolyCouncilMagi
2015-07-04, 09:55 PM
I'm looking for a rather specific kind of game. The gaming industry runs deep and wide, though, and it's only a few shades off from a rather common formula, so I imagine I'll find something to suit my desires.

Basically, what I'm after is a game with a good monster-capturing mechanic, but which doesn't focus on it so completely that there's nothing else to the game. Preferably, captured monsters are assists/stat boosters or other party members, but your character still engages in combat, though I recognize that very few games probably put anything towards capturing monsters for combat without going all-in on it. I'd like some solid combat mechanics that encourage creativity and system mastery, preferably focused on teams (for strategy RPGs) or parties (for non-strategy RPGs) rather than single combat, but this is another of the looser requirements. (I was rather a fan of Golden Sun's combat, though I'd like something with more depth and variety; it took a while to figure out which strategies were good in Golden Sun's boss fights, but once you figured it out you could pretty much win every battle with one rinse-and-repeat strategy.) A harder requirement, and something that often causes people to look at me funny, is that I really want some "do this difficult optional thing for more power" tossed in. Hard bonus dungeons near the endgame for strong equipment are the common ones, but since we're talking about a monster-capturing game here, difficult (and, again, optional) processes that let me capture and use bosses would be like candy.

I'll give some examples of things that are "close, but not quite" that I've played so you guys can get a more specific idea of what I'm looking for.

Pokemon does great about all enemy monsters being open for capture, and that includes the Legendary Pokemon, but the problem with Pokemon for me, aside from having played all the current games already anyway and wanting something new, is that it's too encouraged and easy; when you come up on a strong monster, it generally isn't any harder or less obvious to capture it than it is to beat it. Plus, and I'm sure I'm going to get hate for this from every soul on this side of the internet, I just find Pokemon's combat system rather bland compared to party combat from games like Golden Sun, Final Fantasy, and some of the Dragon Quest games at higher levels.

I'm a really huge fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series of games, which cover a lot of the bases I'm looking for, but I'm currently looking for something with a more traditional feel and less encouragement; the Shin Megami Tensei games have a tendency to be like "hey look here! and do this! and now you have a thing!" such that I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything or even doing anything particularly or unexpectedly cool, even when I'm fusing demons and taming literal gods. As silly as this sounds, I like a game that makes me feel like I earned something when I actually get the cool stuff (this goes hand in hand with my enjoyment of optional bonus dungeons with cool gear).

For an example of a situation in a game that feels about right, in games like Nethack and Tales of Maj'Eyal, you can pull off cool tricks within the system to tame the Horsemen of the Apocalypse or get bosses as allies (or, in one case, even as a weapon symbiote). These things give you a sense of accomplishment, because you aren't just doing what you've been doing the whole game (such as with Legendary Pokemon, where it's the same formula it's always been just with a bigger and more impressive mon), and even if you've been doing the mon-capturing a lot, you still need to come up with new strategies to deal with these guys, because capturing them ultimately isn't the point; in many cases, even fighting them isn't the point, but rather to run away because they can kill you ten times over and there's no plot requirement to deal with them, making the capturing something to be even more proud of. But these are roguelikes, and I'm hoping to find an RPG here.

Anyway, I've prattled on enough. You guys got anything for me? Preferred systems are GBA and NDS, but I can get by on almost any system.

Mando Knight
2015-07-04, 10:41 PM
Dragon Quest V has a monster-capture mechanic, though it's somewhat limited in part due to party size. DQ VI also allows you to acquire a few monsters as party members, but only a small number of them out of the whole bestiary.

Togath
2015-07-04, 11:13 PM
Dragonquest 8 sorta has a similar thing... They can only be used for 3 rounds per battle though, and can't be fully controlled.
Related, there's the dragon quest monsters series, which is a bit like pokemon, but more jrpg-y, and harder.

ScionoftheVoid
2015-07-04, 11:14 PM
Dragon Quest V has a monster-capture mechanic, though it's somewhat limited in part due to party size. DQ VI also allows you to acquire a few monsters as party members, but only a small number of them out of the whole bestiary.

I'll second this, and add the Dragon Quest Monsters games (I've only played the Joker games, but those were both pretty good). You capture monsters and fuse them to acquire better ones, there are generic formulae as to what options you'll end up with in most cases, but there are loads of specific combinations, too, including boss-style mons only available through specific fusions, or successions of specific fusions. Each monster has certain skill sets that you can allocate points to to develop skills (you mentioned Dragon Quest, so you'll know the kind of things available: Hatchet Man and Frizz to Kathwhack and Disruptive Wave), and you pass down skill sets in fusion - have enough points and you can get a "higher level" skillset, and there are ones that involve combinations of particular skillsets with sufficient points, too. Unlike DQ V, you don't battle with anything except monsters, but acquiring new ones is easier (though still challenging for a lot of things toward the endgame especially - and there are particular "out of depth" monsters that are totally beatable in combat, but are very challenging to tame at the point in the game that you meet them). There are bosses which you straight-up aren't allowed to capture (at least when you face them as a boss battle), which might feel a bit odd coming from pokemon, but isn't unreasonable or overused.

I could go on all day about those games, but I'll stop there for now. I'll be watching this thread with interest, monster taming games are probably my favourite collection of games, but so many are overshadowed by pokemon (which is fun, but certainly not the best example of the category).

Oh, all of the above games mentioned are on the DS, by the way (except for the earlier Dragon Quest Monsters games, which I haven't played but wouldn't assume to be bad).

TaRix
2015-07-05, 01:46 AM
Well, let's see...

Final Fantasy Tactics has the whatchamacallit class... the talking one... Mediator! It can be used for breeding, catching, 'harvesting', though roster space is pretty limited.

The aforementioned main-line Dragon Quest ones do have captured monsters (and 7 (for PS1)) allows you to class-change into monsters if certain requirements are met, but you can't really do all that much to get a monster to join you. Just grind and grind and hope you get lucky. The Monsters subseries, while fun, is still a lot of work. Breeding up to the higher-class monsters almost demands a pedigree diagram several generations deep. It is easier to get a monster to join you there, though.

A borderline thing that might be worth a look were the original Game Boy Final Fantasy Legends ( Renamed from SaGa Frontiers or something, I think. ) You could opt to have one or more monster characters who could advance by eating stronger monsters' meat. The last one allowed anyone to change back and forth from human/mutant to beast to monster or cyborg to robot by either eating meat or installing parts.

Another one had a Let's Play a while ago, a PS1 title called Azure Dreams, basically a roguelike where you climb a desert tower with (optional) monster buddies.

One I know next to nothing about was another PS1 called Monster Seed, but all I know's the name and that you battled with monsters.

If getting bosses to join you (with skill and tact) is appealing, how about the GBA River City Ransom remake? You can impress the thugs enough to join you, up to and including the last guy.

There's the Pokemon mystery dungeons and the Gamecube Colosseum single-player quests, but they're probably not high enough on the clever meter.

tonberrian
2015-07-05, 02:05 AM
I'll second this, and add the Dragon Quest Monsters games (I've only played the Joker games, but those were both pretty good). You capture monsters and fuse them to acquire better ones, there are generic formulae as to what options you'll end up with in most cases, but there are loads of specific combinations, too, including boss-style mons only available through specific fusions, or successions of specific fusions. Each monster has certain skill sets that you can allocate points to to develop skills (you mentioned Dragon Quest, so you'll know the kind of things available: Hatchet Man and Frizz to Kathwhack and Disruptive Wave), and you pass down skill sets in fusion - have enough points and you can get a "higher level" skillset, and there are ones that involve combinations of particular skillsets with sufficient points, too. Unlike DQ V, you don't battle with anything except monsters, but acquiring new ones is easier (though still challenging for a lot of things toward the endgame especially - and there are particular "out of depth" monsters that are totally beatable in combat, but are very challenging to tame at the point in the game that you meet them). There are bosses which you straight-up aren't allowed to capture (at least when you face them as a boss battle), which might feel a bit odd coming from pokemon, but isn't unreasonable or overused.

I could go on all day about those games, but I'll stop there for now. I'll be watching this thread with interest, monster taming games are probably my favourite collection of games, but so many are overshadowed by pokemon (which is fun, but certainly not the best example of the category).

Oh, all of the above games mentioned are on the DS, by the way (except for the earlier Dragon Quest Monsters games, which I haven't played but wouldn't assume to be bad).

Dragon Warrior Monsters and DWM 2 (which versions a la pokemon) are fairly different in how you acquire monsters and the exact mechanics of breeding and skill transfer, but are solid games in their own right, though they are for GBC and are probably going to be more difficult to acquire than they're worth (and with aging internal batteries). I like Joker 2 better than Joker, but there have been a few DQM releases in Japan that haven't been localized that make me hesitant about the future of the series.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is fairly different in tone and mechanics than the main SMT games, and I think is closer to what you're looking for. It's more of a tactical game than IV, closer to Fire Emblem or Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. Disgaea also has an option to capture mon characters (though in general it's better to train/reincarnate your own characters, mon or otherwise). Geneforge is a PC/Mac game that lets you create monsters, rather than capture them. I like it a lot, though it is a bit different. You can get the whole saga of 5 games for $20 on steam, or as part of the Spiderweb Software complete pack for $45, give or take discounts - Spiderweb does good work, so it's a good deal. Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA) allows you to persuade most generic enemies over to your side, which is sort of mon-y, but it has a lot of human units in addition to the dragons and beasts and stuff.

ScionoftheVoid
2015-07-05, 08:47 AM
I can't believe I forgot Devil Survivor, given that it's one of my favourite games - probably just because I don't tend to put it in the monster-taming group in my mind. But yeah, team-based strategic combat, plenty of optional bosses (though they're brutal the first time around, the game encourages multiple playthroughs to get all the endings - one of the best new game plus features I've ever seen is a big help toward that (though I tend to play games in bursts that have precluded me completing a second playthrough for either game yet, it's definitely on my list of things to do)). Devil Survivor (and its numbered sequel) are excellent choices, though they don't have that traditional feel to them.

danzibr
2015-07-05, 06:56 PM
FFXII-2 and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World come to mind.

Cespenar
2015-07-06, 01:57 AM
This will be pretty offbeat, but with the last expansion, Age of Wonders 3 can have this done with an Arch-Druid or Necromancer hero or any other unit with Charm skills. Basically, besides your otherwise tasty turn based strategy shenanigans, you can also charm a, say, Baby Shock Serpent, then get it some kills to evolve it to Mature and then King Shock Serpent. It's not limited to animals either. With Seduce, you can get any living unit, and with Control Undead/Ghoulification, get any undead or kill any living unit AND then get them on your side as undead. And they (somehow) can still get experience and promotions! It's pretty fun. On some campaign levels my armies consisted of roughly 10% city-created units and 90% charmed/ghouled enemy units.