PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Odd Request

Thurbane
2015-07-04, 11:08 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if there is any way to get Whirling Blade as an SLA (at will ideally, or at least 3/day).

Here's the pinch: would it be possible for a non-caster?

Cheers - T

Yuki Akuma
2015-07-04, 11:15 PM
Acquire the undead type somehow and get the Spell-Stitched template?

AmberVael
2015-07-04, 11:16 PM
Acquire the undead type somehow and get the Spell-Stitched template?

This was my first thought too, but Whirling Blade is Transmutation, which isn't one of the schools spell-stitched has access to.

OldTrees1
2015-07-04, 11:22 PM
Why a SLA? (Since an Eternal Wand is merely 4,420gp for 2/day and only costs non casters 1 feat)

Thurbane
2015-07-04, 11:29 PM
Why a SLA? (Since an Eternal Wand is merely 4,420gp for 2/day and only costs non casters 1 feat)

I don't like abilities that are item dependant...

Also, in an Eternal Wand, you'd be limited to a one-handed weapon, since you'd need to be holding the Wand as well. Although I suppose a Wand Chamber could get around that.

Silva Stormrage
2015-07-05, 12:02 AM
Archmage lets you turn a spell into a SLA 2/day and you could just select it twice. Still not probably what you want.

If you want homebrew Evolutionist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?240717-The-better-man-There-is-no-such-thing-base-class) could do that but probably not what you are looking for either.

Runic Guardians + Magic in the Blood Feat lets the construct cast it 3/day, but you aren't casting it so...

OldTrees1
2015-07-05, 12:06 AM

Also, in an Eternal Wand, you'd be limited to a one-handed weapon, since you'd need to be holding the Wand as well. Although I suppose a Wand Chamber could get around that.

I hear that.

Another option would be psionics(via spell to power).

Troacctid
2015-07-05, 12:10 AM
A 6th level Dragonblood Sorcerer (Races of the Dragon) can transform one of his 2nd level spells known into a spell-like ability with three uses per day.

bekeleven
2015-07-05, 04:57 AM
There were one or two combinations that let warforged use wands internally. I think one was Wand Chamber + Weapon Component, and there was also a component made for it.

This removes nearly every drawback with item-based casting.

ben-zayb
2015-07-05, 07:57 AM
I'll take a different route and ask you what is with a Whirling Blade SLA that you are looking for. Parts of the spell mechanics may be replicated with the right template-based SLA, PrC, or other non-SLA abilities.

Forrestfire
2015-07-05, 08:13 AM

According to the Eberron Campaign Setting, any item can be made into a slotless embedded component by applying a 2x modifier to the cost. UMD one to emulate race and you can then hide it in your body such that it can't be removed unless you're at -1 hit points or less, and it's hands-free. It's still technically item-dependent, but it's as close as you can get to not...