PDA

View Full Version : Questions about order of werebear knights

Sir_Chivalry
2015-07-05, 08:49 AM
I was struck with the idea to stat out a group of werebears fighting for crown and country.

Spicing up the royal court situation, I liked the idea of werebears and their general LG alignment, and looking at the black, brown and polar varieties (since the stat block uses brown), I saw an interesting visual hierarchy for them.

So polar bear leader, with a couple brown bear lieutenants, and some black bear low ranking members. An order but also sort of a noblr house, pieced together from werebear clans loyal to the crown.

My questions to you:

Should I include shifters in their house or order? Either members of the clans not strongly aligned with the werebear blood, or perhaps banner men drawn from the surrounding areas of their forest march?

What classes suit the LG werebears? Would black bear rangers be I'll advised? I can't see all of them being Knights and Paladins, but the leader being one of those or a crusader with marshal/knight/crusader brown bears would make a decent command structure?

Should I endeavour to include the dire bears (and dire polar bears) or leave them as less likely to bend knee to king and country?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-05, 12:30 PM
I have nothing for you, other than this miscellaneous factoid!

Polar bears are the most carnivorous of all bears, with upwards of 90% of their diet being meat. Meanwhile, in many locations - those that don't have annual salmon runs, for example - grizzly bears are among the least carnivorous, with only around 10% meat in their diets.

Sir_Chivalry
2015-07-05, 01:26 PM
I have nothing for you, other than this miscellaneous factoid!

Polar bears are the most carnivorous of all bears, with upwards of 90% of their diet being meat. Meanwhile, in many locations - those that don't have annual salmon runs, for example - grizzly bears are among the least carnivorous, with only around 10% meat in their diets.

That helps so much actually!! So the brown bear lieutenants would be doing fish and pastries more than red meat and poultry

Glimbur
2015-07-05, 02:38 PM
Shifters make thematic sense. Also, these knights will want squires: someone to put on their bear barding or their were-bear barding.

As for other classes... Ranger is a decent wilderness sort, Totemist is probably a little off-theme, same with druid. Knight, Crusader, Fighter, and even Paladin are probably your core classes. Add PrC's to taste. You could make some of them Warriors, but this seems too elite of a group for that. Maybe some class that benefits from the Wis boost of lycanthropy and does melee combat... someone like a monk :smalltongue:

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-05, 02:43 PM
Serenity Paladin, Moon-Warded Ranger. 1-level dips into Shiba Protector, maybe, for Wis to Attack/Damage.