PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Net Fighter

Plus1Sword
2015-07-05, 12:18 PM
Hey there guys, new to the forum here as well as DnD in general. Always been interested in the concept of the game, but never had a group to play it with until recently. Played one campaign(Hoard of the Dragon Queen) so far as Thor(in Fighter/StormCleric Form) andthat went rather well, but we're starting a new campaign soon and I was thinking of doing a Retairius like character. Gladiator back story, net based combat with another weaon to do my real damage and was wondering how to best go about it.

The net seems interesting to me first on flavor and second because it's a non-grapple/spell way to hold somebody, but it does also seem pretty restrictive. DC 10 isn't much to work with, and it breaks after 5 slashing damage which makes swords/daggers/axes a no for me especially, but also anybody trying to hit my target. When I title this "optimization" I don't need to be the warrior of warriors, but I don't want to lag behind the rest of the guys either. I'm thinking Totem Barbarian or Battlemaster Fighter for full on gladiator feel, but I'm not sure what other classes might help out to go/multiclass into.

Demonic Spoon
2015-07-05, 12:33 PM
Hey there guys, new to the forum here as well as DnD in general. Always been interested in the concept of the game, but never had a group to play it with until recently. Played one campaign(Hoard of the Dragon Queen) so far as Thor(in Fighter/StormCleric Form) andthat went rather well, but we're starting a new campaign soon and I was thinking of doing a Retairius like character. Gladiator back story, net based combat with another weaon to do my real damage and was wondering how to best go about it.

The net seems interesting to me first on flavor and second because it's a non-grapple/spell way to hold somebody, but it does also seem pretty restrictive. DC 10 isn't much to work with, and it breaks after 5 slashing damage which makes swords/daggers/axes a no for me especially, but also anybody trying to hit my target. When I title this "optimization" I don't need to be the warrior of warriors, but I don't want to lag behind the rest of the guys either. I'm thinking Totem Barbarian or Battlemaster Fighter for full on gladiator feel, but I'm not sure what other classes might help out to go/multiclass into.

Point of clarification: The net breaks when you deal damage to the net, not the character in it. Thematically, I'd just use any piercing weapon (or just flavor a longsword that way) and stab the restrained target. Warhammer works too.

If your target is prone, you no longer have to deal with disadvantage on the attack roll for throwing your net in melee. So, take Trip Attack with Battlemaster to drop the target, throw the net, then attack with your secondary weapon.

Another way to do it would be to just eat the disadvantage (or get help from your party to negate it), and use Precision Attack to get a hit. In either case, I think you can make this work just with a straight BM fighter.

Naanomi
2015-07-05, 12:38 PM
Because of its short range, you need Sharpshooter (or some other trick) to make the nets work well. Also remember that they take up all your attacks so it is hard to take advantage of it yourself.

They go best when they can be setups for other people or your own attacks: a fighter/rogue to enable sneak attack can maybe work; or a beastmaster ranger who throws the net to set up his companion's attacks attacks

ImSAMazing
2015-07-05, 01:37 PM
Point of clarification: The net breaks when you deal damage to the net, not the character in it. Thematically, I'd just use any piercing weapon (or just flavor a longsword that way) and stab the restrained target. Warhammer works too.

If your target is prone, you no longer have to deal with disadvantage on the attack roll for throwing your net in melee. So, take Trip Attack with Battlemaster to drop the target, throw the net, then attack with your secondary weapon.

Another way to do it would be to just eat the disadvantage (or get help from your party to negate it), and use Precision Attack to get a hit. In either case, I think you can make this work just with a straight BM fighter.
I totally agree with you.

I3igAl
2015-07-05, 02:04 PM
I doubt there are rules for this, but you could ask your DM for special nets made out of resilient or even magic materials with a higher DC.

As said before Two Weapon Fighting would work with a Net. Use net as a bonus action, than start Two-Handing your Warhammer or Longsword for more damage.

Since you are only allowed to use one Net every round, you could pick a class, that doesn't get multiple attacks.

Ramshack
2015-07-05, 03:23 PM
I doubt there are rules for this, but you could ask your DM for special nets made out of resilient or even magic materials with a higher DC.

As said before Two Weapon Fighting would work with a Net. Use net as a bonus action, than start Two-Handing your Warhammer or Longsword for more damage.

Since you are only allowed to use one Net every round, you could pick a class, that doesn't get multiple attacks.

Rogue could work well with this, Take Dual Wilding Feats a level of fighter for Two Weapon Fighting Style and throw net, bonus action off hand attack to stab the person, since their now restrained you gain advantage and thus proc your sneak attack.

Plus1Sword
2015-07-05, 03:41 PM

Unless you've got a strictly RAW DM I feel like it'd be houseruled that attacks on the restrained foe would hit the net as well, but I suppose it could be argued.

Prone is something I hadn't thought of. With the net's rule of "Once you've made a net attack through an attack/reaction/bonus action you can't take anymore attacks" do you think attacking with another weapon first would fly most times?

@Naanomi

Looking at the net again I'm not sure why they put the ranges as they did. You basically have disadvantage using it unless something cancels it out. Sharpshooter to hit from 2-3 spaces would do it, or perhaps the Barbarians lv. 2 ability to impose advantage on attack, but the drawbacks seem pretty heavy in my opinion.

@I3igAL/Ramshack

So Dual Weapon Fighting to allow dual martial weapons, net offhand bonus action + Versatile weapon for two-handed action OR finesse weapon for sneak attack shenanigans? That sounds plausible, but getting past the net's disadvantage is still a hurdle. Any ideas on how without sharpshooter? Having to take two feats means I'm essentially locked into Variant Human if I want to do this in an early level starting campaign.

Naanomi
2015-07-05, 03:52 PM
Prone is something I hadn't thought of. With the net's rule of "Once you've made a net attack through an attack/reaction/bonus action you can't take anymore attacks" do you think attacking with another weapon first would fly most times?
Probably, though if not I do like it with Beastmaster... throw the net on your attack, give your second attack to your pet to take advantage of the situation.

Ramshack
2015-07-05, 03:54 PM
Unless you've got a strictly RAW DM I feel like it'd be houseruled that attacks on the restrained foe would hit the net as well, but I suppose it could be argued.

@Naanomi

Looking at the net again I'm not sure why they put the ranges as they did. You basically have disadvantage using it unless something cancels it out. Sharpshooter to hit from 2-3 spaces would do it, or perhaps the Barbarians lv. 2 ability to impose advantage on attack, but the drawbacks seem pretty heavy in my opinion.

@I3igAL/Ramshack

So Dual Weapon Fighting to allow dual martial weapons, net offhand bonus action + Versatile weapon for two-handed action OR finesse weapon for sneak attack shenanigans? That sounds plausible, but getting past the net's disadvantage is still a hurdle. Any ideas on how without sharpshooter? Having to take two feats means I'm essentially locked into Variant Human if I want to do this in an early level starting campaign.

I dont know if this ruling is correct, but the way I play it at my table is the net is considered a thrown weapon. Throwing weapons can either make a melee attack or be thrown. Since the default range is 5 feet I let my players throw nets as a melee attack with no penalties or throw the net up to 15 feet at disadvantage. Since it's outside the optimal range of the weapon. I don't think the game designers intended the player be penalized for using the net at it's optimal range of 5' and penalized again for throwing it outisde of its optimal range. Seems like no would use a net since you're always going to be penalized.

Demonic Spoon
2015-07-05, 07:43 PM

Per RAW, it does not work. I'd allow it, as would many DMs.

-Jynx-
2015-07-05, 08:24 PM
A side question on how nets work. If you were say a rogue (thief) 3 can you use your cunning action to use object: net to throw on an enemy and attack normally with your weapon? Or do you need dual wielding?

Easy_Lee
2015-07-05, 08:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following, but:

You may only make one *net* attack per turn, which does not stop you from attacking with other weaapons.
The target is restrained when hit with the net if it is large or smaller. There is no way to avoid being restrained, so it's guaranteed to work for at least a short amount of time.
Only slashing damage can destroy the net. If your target has no means of delivering slashing damage, it will have to use its action to free itself (which won't destroy your net in the process).
A net could likely be repaired via the Mending spell.
There are no rules for exceptionally large or durable nets, nor what happens when one target is hit by multiple nets.

I think nets would work fine vs small targets and are a virtually guaranteed way to stop an ogre with a club from taking its action for one turn. It's certainly a good thing for the intrepid fighter to keep on hand, should a scenario call for it.

Sigreid
2015-07-05, 09:24 PM
Just hear to comment that clearly if you're going for a gladiator net fighter the only proper weapon for you to use in the other hand is a trident. Solves the slashing damage problem too.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-05, 09:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following, but:

1.You may only make one *net* attack per turn, which does not stop you from attacking with other weaapons.
2.The target is restrained when hit with the net if it is large or smaller. There is no way to avoid being restrained, so it's guaranteed to work for at least a short amount of time.
3.Only slashing damage can destroy the net. If your target has no means of delivering slashing damage, it will have to use its action to free itself (which won't destroy your net in the process).
4.A net could likely be repaired via the Mending spell.
5.There are no rules for exceptionally large or durable nets, nor what happens when one target is hit by multiple nets.

I think nets would work fine vs small targets and are a virtually guaranteed way to stop an ogre with a club from taking its action for one turn. It's certainly a good thing for the intrepid fighter to keep on hand, should a scenario call for it.

Numbered for ease of responding, I hope you don't mind.
1) It's not quite that- if you had multiple nets, you could make multiple net attacks per round. The limitation is only that "When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to attack with a net, you can make only one attack regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make." This makes it a prime weapon for bonus action attacks (the main one that would make it eligible is a Barbarian's frenzy or the War Priest's effect), Haste attacks, Commander's Strike (probably my favorite amongst these options), and any other effects where you'd be limited to a single attack normally anyway. However, if you normally get 2 or more attacks as part of the attack action, sadly per RAW that's cut to one.
2) Absolutely!
3) Absolutely!
4) Unlikely- Mending repairs a tear only if it's no more than a foot, and I doubt the hole someone will crawl out of is a foot or less in size. However, I sure as heck would allow it.
5) Sadly true.

The biggest thing I wonder about, which isn't quite made clear to me, is what happens if a condition stops affecting you on a turn. Normally it's clear, but with restrained in particular- your movement was set to 0, right? If, during your turn, you take actions that remove the restrained condition, do you regain your normal movement speed, or are you still at 0 movement for that turn, since that's what you effectively started your turn with? Based on the text in the "your turn" section (remember, your speed becomes 0) combined with the "using different speeds" section I'm inclined to believe that you're still at 0 movement for the turn, so that's a huge plus, but I'm not yet 100% confident in that.

Also, keep in mind that it's auto advantage on everyone else's attacks against it until it's free (requiring some kind of enemy turn) and auto disadvantage on Dex saves (ironically, Fireball would not automatically destroy the net since it's not slashing damage, though it would likely set it ablaze, which would have to be no fun for the person inside). As most ranged weapons are piercing (hand axes are literally the only ranged slashing weapon), if you can keep the other enemies more than 5' from your victim, it's not unreasonable to think that you can keep a creature in there until its turn, have everyone gain advantage on it until then, have it lose its movement, and have to use its action to free itself, essentially costing it an entire turn. Not too shabby at all!

Edit: Ah, just got what you meant with #1. That is not the way I initially read it, it does not specify that it's one attack with the net while allowing additional attacks with other weapons, but I can see where you're coming from with that.

Ramshack
2015-07-05, 09:40 PM
As a DM I would allow nets to be made out of multiple materials. hemp, rope, metal links I would up the saves to break the net and the nets HP accordingly but I can easily picture a black smith making a net made of metal links etc

Sigreid
2015-07-05, 09:44 PM
As a DM I would allow nets to be made out of multiple materials. hemp, rope, metal links I would up the saves to break the net and the nets HP accordingly but I can easily picture a black smith making a net made of metal links etc

I think a metal net would be very heavy, but that doesn't mean that no better materials exist. "Step right up, we have nets woven by drow hands from the webbing of their giant spiders", as an example.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-05, 09:51 PM
I think a metal net would be very heavy, but that doesn't mean that no better materials exist. "Step right up, we have nets woven by drow hands from the webbing of their giant spiders", as an example.

Absolutely! I think a metal net could be pretty awesome, if anything could get it done it's mithral, but yeah, likely better options.

Maybe some inspiration here:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1776531

Leafweave and Shadowsilk seem particularly promising, I particularly like the idea of webbing though, it seems awesomely appropriate for a high end net material. Man, before this thread I had dismissed nets out of hand. We're running a naval campaign. Now I feel like I've been massively missing out by not having one or two around! Thanks for the awesome ideas everyone!

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-06, 08:42 AM
Just hear to comment that clearly if you're going for a gladiator net fighter the only proper weapon for you to use in the other hand is a trident. Solves the slashing damage problem too.

This is why Id' think it might stack well with polearm master's d4 bonus attack, thus trident (gladiator traditional).

BLU/PIE damage should have no real effect on a net, or the net is at least resistant to it.

Naanomi
2015-07-06, 08:48 AM
Another trick with nets: they drop speed to 0, at least temporarily. Speed 0 if you are flying means your drop from the sky. Therefore if *you* fly and can use nets (halfling pterodactyl rider, tempest cleric, etc) then carry one and toss it on people who come bother you in the sky

MrStabby
2015-07-06, 09:38 AM
In my campaign one of my factions used nets as pack hunting conjurer/arcane tricksters and eldritch knights using the conjuration ability to summon nets as appropriate (or the EK ability to return to hand), including other materials with a higher AC. They were quite fun to play with and made for some tense battle as the party tried to drive the attackers away from ensnared individuals.

Sentinel is a decent tool with this - especially with rogues. If they attack the net to escape you then get to attack them.

thereaper
2015-07-09, 02:41 PM
Doesn't the enemy have to use their action to escape or destroy the net? Assuming the party has more actions, that could give the party a significant advantage even if you aren't doing anything else.

MrStabby
2015-07-09, 03:29 PM
Doesn't the enemy have to use their action to escape or destroy the net? Assuming the party has more actions, that could give the party a significant advantage even if you aren't doing anything else.

Not quite; usually they will use an attack to break out. This will leave bonus actions and the rest of their attacks in place anyway. The other thing enemies will do is ignore the net and just keep casting spells or similar.

thereaper
2015-07-09, 10:47 PM
Ok, well that would still have situational uses then.

Orbis Orboros
2015-07-10, 12:18 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention it, so:

Can't you use the crossbow mastery feat to use the net at melee range without disadvantage?

Slipperychicken
2015-07-10, 02:13 PM
You could use a net in tandem with grappling and shoving to keep an enemy securely locked-down. He'd have grappled, prone, and restrained. Toss him in a Silence area and he pretty much can't cast spells either.

Also, I like the idea of a chain net. That could give it better hitpoints and AC, and perhaps a higher escape DC.

What I would really want is a way to increase range, like firing one from a crossbow to take down flying enemies.

BLU/PIE damage

Now I want to have my fighter throw pies in peoples' faces.

Once a Fool
2015-07-10, 02:50 PM
As said before Two Weapon Fighting would work with a Net.

Rogue could work well with this, Take Dual Wilding Feats a level of fighter for Two Weapon Fighting Style and throw net, bonus action off hand attack to stab the person, since their now restrained you gain advantage and thus proc your sneak attack.

Nets are specifically NOT thrown melee weapons; they are thrown ranged weapons and, as such, cannot be used with two-weapon fighting.

I dont know if this ruling is correct, but the way I play it at my table is the net is considered a thrown weapon. Throwing weapons can either make a melee attack or be thrown. Since the default range is 5 feet I let my players throw nets as a melee attack with no penalties or throw the net up to 15 feet at disadvantage.

As noted above, the game makes a distinction between melee thrown weapons and ranged thrown weapons. As the net is the latter, this exploit doesn't work in RAW. Note, also, that the attack stat of all ranged weapons is dexterity, so nets are even harder for strength-characters to use.

Since it's outside the optimal range of the weapon. I don't think the game designers intended the player be penalized for using the net at it's optimal range of 5' and penalized again for throwing it outisde of its optimal range. Seems like no would use a net since you're always going to be penalized.

The net has serious potential to ruin a combatant's day. I believe that the difficulty in using it effectively is intentional.

Can't you use the crossbow mastery feat to use the net at melee range without disadvantage?

Yes, you most certainly can.

Technically, it also appears that Sharpshooter can allow you to deal 10 damage with the net (in addition to its other benefits), as it does not specify that it requires a damage roll in order to add its bonus damage.

Kevingway
2015-07-11, 01:14 AM
You have the choice to use your Strength for attacks with the Net.

For attacks with ranged weapons, use your Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls. A weapon that has the thrown property, such as a handaxe, can use your Strength modifier instead.

Knowing this opens up a nice array of options, such as the famous net/trident; however, we still have that pesky net-not-a-light-weapon limitation. I vote for taking one round to cast a cantrip and then throw the net; next round, you use the same combo to cast a cantrip (that requires a dexterity saving throw) and draw your pocket-trident to make another attack. This is of course referring to Eldritch Knight.

Not sure if I totally like combining cantrips with a not-at-the-same-time net/trident combo, but it seems the only way to make nets truly viable, as grapple + prone seems to take the last shreds of viability from the net itself for the action cost.

Once a Fool
2015-07-11, 07:49 PM
And yet:

You add your Dexterity modifier to your attack roll and your damage roll when attacking with a ranged weapon, such as a sling or a longbow. You can also add your Dexterity modifier to your attack roll and your damage roll when attacking with a melee weapon that has the finesse property, such as a dagger or a rapier.

No mention of exceptions, yet. We'll continue:

The ability modifier used for a melee weapon attack is Strength, and the ability modifier used for a ranged weapon attack is Dexterity. Weapons that have the finesse or thrown property break this rule.

This provides situations that trigger exceptions, but doesn't actually say how they break the rules. For that, we need to read the description of the "thrown" property:

If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon.

Note that this last clause only clarifies that all thrown weapons use the attribute appropriate to their type. For melee weapons, that is Strength. For melee finesse weapons, it is either Strength or Dexterity. And for ranged weapons (such as the net), it is Dexterity.

Given this, it seems that the above-quoted passage from the beginning of the PH does not reflect an absolute set of exceptions, but, rather, a generalization of applicable conditions in which the exceptions may apply. "Can," in this context, can mean "allows," but it can also mean, "sometimes does this other thing:"

Kevingway
2015-07-13, 12:11 AM
This provides situations that trigger exceptions, but doesn't actually say how they break the rules. For that, we need to read the description of the "thrown" property the thing that mentions how they break the rules:

For attacks with ranged weapons, use your Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls. A weapon that has the thrown property, such as a handaxe, can use your Strength modifier instead.

If you're going to cherry-pick, just pick the whole bush and be done with it.

And let me go into a little more detail on intent, since you seem keen on arguing intent:

Finesse allows dexterity mod with melee weapons. Throwing a melee weapon that is both "Thrown" and "Finesse" would be redundant, therefore the rule for melee weapons is that they use their strength when being thrown unless they're labeled as finesse. Ranged weapons have no "finesse" equivalent for strength, so the rule exists that if you throw a weapon that has the "Thrown" property, you have your choice of what to use unless it's a melee weapon. Guess what all these rules are referring to? The net. Oh, and I guess the dart too, and other such weapons.

Once a Fool
2015-07-13, 03:15 AM
If you're going to cherry-pick, just pick the whole bush and be done with it.

And let me go into a little more detail on intent, since you seem keen on arguing intent:

Finesse allows dexterity mod with melee weapons. Throwing a melee weapon that is both "Thrown" and "Finesse" would be redundant, therefore the rule for melee weapons is that they use their strength when being thrown unless they're labeled as finesse. Ranged weapons have no "finesse" equivalent for strength, so the rule exists that if you throw a weapon that has the "Thrown" property, you have your choice of what to use unless it's a melee weapon. Guess what all these rules are referring to? The net. Oh, and I guess the dart too, and other such weapons.

I am not cherry-picking. I am taking all of the relevant quotations (including the passage on PH pg. 14) into context. The operative word in that passage you keep quoting is "can." They can. But they might not. Depending on (at that point) unspecified conditions.

In context with the passages I quoted, it is explicit what those conditions are: in the case of ranged attacks with melee thrown weapons, Strength is substituted for Dexterity, because Dexterity is the ability that ranged attacks use, but Strength is the ability that melee weapons use. This specific exemption is necessary, because without it, a paradox arises wherein a melee thrown weapon must use Strength because it is a melee weapon and must use Dexterity because it is a ranged weapon attack.

Ranged attacks with finesse thrown weapons may use either Strength or Dexterity, because the thrown property allows ranged attacks to use the MELEE weapon's attacking attribute and finesse allows that to be either one.

Finally, the thrown property specifically neglects saying that ranged thrown weapons use their attack attribute for ranged attacks because that would be redundant. They already use Dexterity by virtue of being ranged attacks; they don't need the thrown property to change the rule to what it already is.

Note that, in all cases, whether a weapon is being thrown or not, the normal attribute(s) for the weapon's type (melee, melee finesse, or ranged) is (are) used for every available kind of attack that is made with the weapon.

TL;DR: the only mechanic that the thrown property grants a melee weapon is the ability to be used with a ranged attack without creating a paradox. The only mechanic it grants a ranged weapon is the ability to not require ammunition.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-14, 06:50 PM
I think the net should get it's own paragraph in errata. I hope no one takes it. When they do, I'm just gonna go with what I think is common sense unless they want ot make a case for RA(unclearly)W for this "weapon."

Net size matters. Your net size must be equal to or greater than the target, and size penalties (disadvantages) apply. I might allow for advantage for a large net vs medium/small or medium net vs small.

Your to hit is assisted by DEX. The targets' AC is 10 modified only by the opponent's DEX, shields, and magical defenses that help evasion/blocking (e.g. shield of faith).

The range is 5', the max is 15'.

Waddya think?

EvilAnagram
2015-07-14, 09:28 PM
The rule for thrown weapons is that they use the ability you would use if you used it as a melee weapon. In fact, here's the rule for the Thrown property:

If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon.
It goes on to explain that with finesse weapons, because you get to use either your Str or Dex modifier in melee, you get to use either one for ranged attacks.

For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.
Having finesse on a thrown weapon is not a redundancy. It is the thing that allows a thrown weapon to use Dexterity.

If it's a melee weapon. Nets are not a melee weapons. They just use Dexterity as with other ranged weapons because of the description of Dexterity on page 177.

Sigreid
2015-07-15, 05:56 AM
Ok, I looked at the rules affecting net and it's actually pretty good. Especially if you take crossbow expert feat so you can use it in melee without penalty. It even gives a reason for a fighter to take the two weapon fighting style so they can use their attribute mod to hit.

1. It uses all of whatever action you use for it. So you want it to be the off-hand weapon using the bonus action.
2. Use the bonus action first to throw the net. The target is restrained, and doesn't get to try to get out until his action.
3. Everyone in the party gets advantage on attacks on a restrained opponent. So Rogues can sneak attack without a partner, all the way to fighters getting advantage on 1 to 8 attacks.
4 works on large and smaller, so anything smaller than a hill giant.

Edit: I forgot it takes their whole action to get out of the net. It's pretty close to a poor man's hold person.

All in all, it could be pretty devastating.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-15, 07:07 AM
Edit: I forgot it takes their whole action to get out of the net. It's pretty close to a poor man's hold person.

It can also use one or more attacks to destroy the net.

I am curious about the wording on a TWF bonus action net throw. If it works, that could end up being a boon for one-handed weapon fighters and rogues (the latter could gain sneak attack on most targets even more easily). It could also make a grappler's lockdown even more time-consuming to escape.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-15, 08:04 AM
Nets don't have the "light" property. They don't work with two-weapon fighting.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-07-15, 10:27 AM

Only if it is a range weapon and not merely a thrown weapon.

The net is a thrown weapon and not a ranged weapon, so that Feat has no effect on it by RAW.

However I do find that RAW to be stupid so as a DM I ignore it.

Sharpshooter Crossbow Master dagger thrower is fun.

Edit

TWF Feat + Crossbow Master Feat + Tavern Brawler + Fighter + TWF style + dual nets.

Beat the person with the nets and then throw the nets on them.

1d4 damage should work for beating someone with a net.

Lol

EvilAnagram
2015-07-15, 10:59 AM
Only if it is a range weapon and not merely a thrown weapon.

The net is a thrown weapon and not a ranged weapon, so that Feat has no effect on it by RAW.
The net is a ranged weapon. You can tell because it's listed under, "Martial Ranged Weapons," on the weapons table. That makes it a ranged weapon. The fact that it is thrown describes how it is used as a ranged weapon. Being a thrown ranged weapon doesn't make it not a ranged weapon. Because it's a ranged weapon.

MrStabby
2015-07-15, 11:08 AM
The net is a ranged weapon. You can tell because it's listed under, "Martial Ranged Weapons," on the weapons table. That makes it a ranged weapon. The fact that it is thrown describes how it is used as a ranged weapon. Being a thrown ranged weapon doesn't make it not a ranged weapon. Because it's a ranged weapon.

Hmm. Good point.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-07-15, 11:25 AM

It is a thrown weapon. It has the *thrown* property.

"Thrown. If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the f inesse property."

No other martial range weapon has this property. The dart is a simple ranged weapon but it also has the thrown property.

It isn't a ranged weapon in the same sense as bows. Just like how the dagger isn't the same as other martial weapons.

Sadly, there is a difference between a ranged weapon and thrown weapon. A thrown weapon has a range, yes, but is a thrown weapon.

Really, this is just another issue with the weapon table/rules being lazily created. Which is why I ignore the weapon table for the most part. Any weapon in which you attack with a range should count under "ranged weapon" even if you are improvising with it.

Crossbow Mastery + Tavern Brawler (for throwing Greatswords) should work together for the sake of how purely awesome that could be.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-15, 02:20 PM
It is a thrown weapon. It has the *thrown* property.
Yup. It is both a thrown weapon and a ranged weapon.

"Thrown. If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property."
Note that at no point does it say that thrown weapons are not ranged.

No other martial range weapon has this property. The dart is a simple ranged weapon but it also has the thrown property.
And? Simple v. martial just matters for deciding proficiency.

It isn't a ranged weapon in the same sense as bows. Just like how the dagger isn't the same as other martial weapons.
Well, the dagger isn't a martial weapon. But if you look at the Range quality of weapons, it refers to thrown weapons as being ranged. It says, "A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range show in parentheses after the ammunition or thrown property." Darts and Nets are ranged weapons that cannot be used to make melee attacks because they are ranged weapons. You can tell because they're listed under Simple Ranged Weapons and Martial Ranged Weapons, respectively. That's the giveaway. Calling them ranged instead of melee. Having "thrown" instead of "ammunition" just means that you use the whole weapon instead of ammunition for the weapon.

Sadly, there is a difference between a ranged weapon and thrown weapon. A thrown weapon has a range, yes, but is a thrown weapon.
No, thrown weapons can be ranged weapons, or they can be melee weapons with a ranged option based on their melee abilities. The net is a ranged weapon. You can tell because it's listed under Martial Ranged Weapons, not Simple Melee Weapons or Martial Melee Weapons. It's the "Ranged" that gives it away.

Really, this is just another issue with the weapon table/rules being lazily created. Which is why I ignore the weapon table for the most part. Any weapon in which you attack with a range should count under "ranged weapon" even if you are improvising with it.
Or the table explicitly defines which weapons are ranged and which are melee, but can be used as ranged. Nets, for example, are ranged.

Sigreid
2015-07-15, 04:40 PM
Nets don't have the "light" property. They don't work with two-weapon fighting.

So you would need the TWF feat as well. Very viable for a fighter or a rogue and those are the ones who stand to gain the most from a net, in my opinion.