PDA

View Full Version : For the Lulz...

Reprimand
2015-07-05, 03:12 PM
So I let a player use the chain spell metamagic feat with magic jar for teh lulz which I know isn't rules legal but the lulz...

I need a list of like all likely outcomes or just plain silly things. outcomes to determine so I can roll D% to see what can of worms I've just unleashed.

He targeted everyone in the room with this thing including a lich's phylactery, his own teammates, the lich himself and bunch of mooks with living souls.

Feel free to leave ideas

EDIT: the caster also had like 50 gems for the spell he basically wants to displace all souls at once. I want to make a precentile chart to see what will happen. so far 95-100% is he possesses all bodies at the same time permanently.

Seffbasilisk
2015-07-06, 01:11 AM
So I let a player use the chain spell metamagic feat with magic jar for teh lulz which I know isn't rules legal but the lulz...

I need a list of like all likely outcomes or just plain silly things. outcomes to determine so I can roll D% to see what can of worms I've just unleashed.

He targeted everyone in the room with this thing including a lich's phylactery, his own teammates, the lich himself and bunch of mooks with living souls.

Feel free to leave ideas

If they only have one gem for the focus, perhaps it's a rolling effect of who's in the jar, based on priority. Initiative comes to mind, but if you're having all of the spells resolving at once, you could have a spirit-avatar battle of each creature based on their willpower as strength, and let the winner be the first to leave the jar and attempt to take a body. Heck, maybe a turn-based damage effect on each soul in the gem past the first one, as a motivating factor for each to try to battle for supremacy and make a move, if the possessing attempt fails, they'd lose supremacy.

Good aligned characters trying to get people back in their own bodies, opportunistic ones trying to shift favor or as dastardly as slitting throats of the other comatose people.

Auron3991
2015-07-06, 01:23 AM
Before I say anything else, that's a horrible thing to do to a game.

But let's see here, toss one of the PC's into the phylactery and mook into the lich's body or the other way around and make the mook one of those that really get's on people's nerves; have the PCs do musical character sheets with the odd sheet out being the lich, or one of his mooks and toss the lich in the mook's body (might be funnier that way); have a random mook be comatose (because that phylactery didn't start with a soul), fall on and knock over a bag of holding or something (or if you happen to have it, a giant tub of molasses). And then proceed with typical body swap humor.

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-06, 11:18 AM
Here's the thing, it isn't rules illegal to chain spell magic jar.

Magic Jar
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour/level or until you return to your body

Chain Spell
Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20). Each arc affects one secondary target chosen by you, all of which must be within 30 feet of the primary target, and none of which can be affected more than once. You can choose to affect fewer secondary targets than the maximum.

So the way the spell is written is first person, which is weird, considering that the "target" part of the spell says "one creature." RAW, the spell is treating the caster as the "one creature." and the spell has a range greater than touch. The game designers were under the assumption that the stuff written above the spell explain the effect of the spell. They didn't anticipate the following:

You and your spirit corps (lets say 5 posse members) walk into a crowded diplomatic meeting carrying a back pack full of 6 gem jars. You cast chain magic jar on one creature: yourself. You then have it arc to each member of your spirit corps. You then as a team possess all the major royalty proceed to use their bodies to kill a bunch of people or whatever else comes to mind.

Reprimand
2015-07-06, 01:27 PM
Here's the thing, it isn't rules illegal to chain spell magic jar.

Oh we all know its not rules legal but it was hilarious at the time so we allowed it for the lulz.

I'm just wondering would hypothetically if this was legal how would you all call it.

Possessing all targets that failed the save at the same time is a 95-100% chance on the chart so far.

Renen
2015-07-06, 03:09 PM
Oh we all know its not rules legal but it was hilarious at the time so we allowed it for the lulz.

I'm just wondering would hypothetically if this was legal how would you all call it.

Possessing all targets that failed the save at the same time is a 95-100% chance on the chart so far.

No no, you misunderstand he says YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS LEGALLY. But really... Friends don't let friends chain magic jar

icefractal
2015-07-06, 06:12 PM
Which would mean in this case ...

1) Everyone in the room has their soul moved to a (different) gem, and can try to possess a body as a full-round action (as normal). The bodies, being empty, are easy to possess.
2) If anyone tries to possess an already-possessed body, the current occupant gets a Will save, roughly as normal.
3) The phylactery is essentially a variant Magic Jar itself, so it becomes one of the receptacles used for the spell. Either let the caster pick who's using it, or roll randomly for that.

Which is going to make this fight extremely ridiculous, at the least. As far as lasting effects, the only that comes to mind is if someone's soul is inside the phylactery when the spell ends. I think I'd make that person a Lich, leaving the original Lich without a phylactery (doesn't immediately kill it, simply means it won't come back if destroyed).

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-07, 12:35 PM
The way that the spell is written is that it can only be chained if you have additional magic jars available. You can then chain the spell to whomever you choose, up to the limit of available jars. All of the people affected would be treated similarly to the caster, deciding who to supplant and what not.

atemu1234
2015-07-07, 11:01 PM
No no, you misunderstand he says YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS LEGALLY. But really... Friends don't let friends chain magic jar

Luckily, I'm not his friend. Do it.

Reprimand
2015-07-08, 12:38 PM
Leaving the original Lich without a phylactery (doesn't immediately kill it, simply means it won't come back if destroyed).

I think that was the casters intent.

Kind of blocking its ability to come back by throwing a mook into the lich phylactery he just got over zealous with like 25+ magic jars.

Does that make the mook a lich or immortal or what.

Renen
2015-07-08, 03:51 PM
I'd say he can resurrect from philactery, but none of the other lich stuff.

illyahr
2015-07-08, 04:56 PM
Put the caster in the lich's body and the lich in the caster's body, then shuffle all mooks/allies one body to the left so one body ends up with no soul as one soul fills the phylactery. :smallbiggrin:

Renen
2015-07-08, 05:58 PM
http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/lulzsec-lulz.jpg

Sagetim
2015-07-08, 06:49 PM
Which would mean in this case ...

1) Everyone in the room has their soul moved to a (different) gem, and can try to possess a body as a full-round action (as normal). The bodies, being empty, are easy to possess.
2) If anyone tries to possess an already-possessed body, the current occupant gets a Will save, roughly as normal.
3) The phylactery is essentially a variant Magic Jar itself, so it becomes one of the receptacles used for the spell. Either let the caster pick who's using it, or roll randomly for that.

Which is going to make this fight extremely ridiculous, at the least. As far as lasting effects, the only that comes to mind is if someone's soul is inside the phylactery when the spell ends. I think I'd make that person a Lich, leaving the original Lich without a phylactery (doesn't immediately kill it, simply means it won't come back if destroyed).

This sounds like the best way for a good character to become a lich. I would rule that whoever winds up in the phylactery gets control of the lich's body and the ecl to go with it. Bearing that in mind, make sure you have the lich statted up as a not-lich so you can have them fight it in a mook body or a cat or something. I'm kind of surprised he didn't bring cats for this so they could throat slit the mook bodies, steal the lich, and leave their enemies as cats or something.