PDA

View Full Version : Roy's Ghost

Haruki-kun
2007-04-29, 05:21 PM
Before anything, remember this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html)?

So, if what Roy's dad is saying is that the sword serves as a link for his family, does that mean that as soon as any OOTS member picks it up, Roy is allowed to appear in front of them as a ghost?

Are there any specific D&D rules for this? I don't know much about it......................
Any chance he's coming back?

jindra34
2007-04-29, 05:23 PM
No dnd specific rules... sry

Demented
2007-04-29, 08:38 PM
It's been mentioned before, in the thread where someone guessed Belkar might pick up Roy's sword. It would be amusing, though probably only Durkon has any reason to be wielding a medium greatsword.

redcodekevin
2007-04-29, 11:53 PM
Nice catch on that... I personally believe that the story arc will continue from here to Roy's resurrection, and then some strips of him telling the OotS about all seen in the Celestial planes.

EloquentRune
2007-04-30, 12:23 AM
i hope his father and him have some astral chatting that would be funny.

factotum
2007-04-30, 12:55 AM
It would be amusing, though probably only Durkon has any reason to be wielding a medium greatsword.

I don't think even he has--he seems a warhammer and shield guy through and through, so I doubt he ever even bothered to learn how to use a greatsword.

Haruki-kun
2007-04-30, 01:20 AM
LOL, the sword is bigger than he is............. I'd love to see that.

NeonRonin
2007-04-30, 08:01 AM
I think they might have meant it's the link between living and deceased Greenhilt family members, so it might not work for someone non-related. And I get the feeling Julia's not going to show up on the battlefield at this point(as she's too busy being the most popular girl at Warthog's School of Wizardry), so unless there's another Greenhilt nearby I get the feeling it might not work the same.

Unless of course the rules bend a bit, and we all know THAT doesn't happen in this strip. :smallwink:

Fawkes
2007-04-30, 10:42 AM
It's been mentioned before, in the thread where someone guessed Belkar might pick up Roy's sword. It would be amusing, though probably only Durkon has any reason to be wielding a medium greatsword.

I always thought Clerics couldn't use greatswords. My DM wouldn't let me. (Although the character being a yakman probably didn't help)

taraxia
2007-04-30, 10:39 PM
I don't think even he has--he seems a warhammer and shield guy through and through, so I doubt he ever even bothered to learn how to use a greatsword.

You mean taking Martial Weapon Proficiency? You get that for free for having the War Domain, and Thor definitely is a war god.

taraxia
2007-04-30, 10:41 PM
i hope his father and him have some astral chatting that would be funny.

The castle needs to be destroyed first. Right now Eugene Greenhilt's spirit is bound to Lord Shojo's summoning circle.

Mewtarthio
2007-05-01, 07:06 PM
The castle needs to be destroyed first. Right now Eugene Greenhilt's spirit is bound to Lord Shojo's summoning circle.

Which will certainly be interesting once Xykon bursts into the throne room.

Demented
2007-05-01, 08:49 PM
Be hilarious if Xykon bursts in to the sight of an epic-level Solar.

Eugene: "Meet the sword of the righteous, evildoer!"

Xykon: "Hah. Funny. Reminds me of this one time I failed a will save versus illusions. Unfortunately, no such luck for you here. Finger of death."

Eugene: "Ahem. I'm already DEAD."

Xykon: "Oh. Well that IS novel.

jindra34
2007-05-01, 08:51 PM
Be hilarious if Xykon bursts in to the sight of an epic-level Solar.

Eugene: "Meet the sword of the righteous, evildoer!"

Xykon: "Hah. Funny. Reminds me of this one time I failed a will save versus illusions. Unfortunately, no such luck for you here. Finger of death."

Eugene: "Ahem. I'm already DEAD."

Xykon: "Oh. Well that IS novel.

That would be kinda funny and then XYkon would cast Control Undead... very very bad news type situation...

Klev
2007-05-01, 08:53 PM
I always thought Clerics couldn't use greatswords. My DM wouldn't let me. (Although the character being a yakman probably didn't help)

Clerics can't because they don't have the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat, but if they get this feat (or by domain or normally) they can use.

Altrough you DM may be old fashioned and follow the old AD&D rules. (go mace!)

Demented
2007-05-01, 09:00 PM
That would be kinda funny and then XYkon would cast Control Undead... very very bad news type situation...

Eugene is dead. Not UNdead. Dead!
On the other hand, Xykon could cast Trap the Soul....

Another thing to wonder about... if Eugene knows Roy died, how would he react? It could be a rare chance to see Eugene actually show some emotion about his son. Or perhaps not. Hmm.

jindra34
2007-05-01, 09:07 PM
Eugene is dead. Not UNdead. Dead!
On the other hand, Xykon could cast Trap the Soul....

Another thing to wonder about... if Eugene knows Roy died, how would he react? It could be a rare chance to see Eugene actually show some emotion about his son. Or perhaps not. Hmm.

Ghosts qualify as undead...

Klev
2007-05-01, 09:08 PM
Ghosts qualify as undead...

But he isn't a ghost, he is an astral projection, as far as I know

jindra34
2007-05-01, 09:10 PM
But he isn't a ghost, he is an astral projection, as far as I know

MAybe but the previous times he was refered to as a ghost... oh well...

Demented
2007-05-01, 09:17 PM
As it is, Eugene is more of a ghost spirit than a ghost undead.

blackout
2007-05-01, 09:21 PM
O_O Ooooh, boy. Eugene is dead...er...deader. Yeah, that works.

JohnnyPsycho
2007-05-02, 04:41 AM
Let's put it this way: Eugene isn't an angry, lost soul forced to haunt a castle or something... he's already "passed-on to the other side".

That being said, I don't know that he could actually do anything that could actually affect anyone in the physical, living world at this point, but I don't know how the rules would work in this case...

Haruki-kun
2007-05-02, 09:42 PM
I thought the Undead were the zombified bodies and stuff like that, not the ghosts themselves.

Geilan
2007-05-02, 09:47 PM
He's been confirmed to be on the other side.... hell, he tied up a Celestial and took his place in the circle...

Starhawk
2007-05-02, 10:12 PM
You know... Roy IS a master strategist. I mean he must have realized he might be dead before Xykon was stopped. I gotta think Roy and his dad have some back up plan where they double team the lich at the throne room.

Alysar
2007-05-02, 10:50 PM
They would pick it up simply because they are going to try to resurrect him and they know he would want it back.

Even if they weren't going to resurrect him, they know that it's his ancestral weapon and that Julia should have it.

Klev
2007-05-02, 10:54 PM
They would pick it up simply because they are going to try to resurrect him and they know he would want it back.

Even if they weren't going to resurrect him, they know that it's his ancestral weapon and that Julia should have it.

Or if it is Belkar sell for big cash :smalltongue:

Demented
2007-05-02, 10:58 PM
If for some reason Roy's soul was extinguished, yeah, it would go to Julia.

Hilarity would thus ensue, for a very short time, as Roy thinks he'll need to instruct his little sister on how to use the weapon. Until Julia points out, duh, she's a wizard. Not happening.

Alysar
2007-05-02, 11:01 PM
Right. She can hang it on the wall until she has kids and they grow up.

And so the circle of life continues.

JohnnyPsycho
2007-05-03, 02:01 AM
Right. She can hang it on the wall until she has kids and they grow up.

And so the circle of life continues.

for some reason I just had a mental image of the spirit of Mufasa from The Lion King accidentally showing up and mistaking her for Simba...

kpenguin
2007-05-03, 02:07 AM
You mean taking Martial Weapon Proficiency? You get that for free for having the War Domain, and Thor definitely is a war god.

Durkon probably already has the War Domain. He has a warhammer, which appears to be Thor's favored weapon (for obvious reasons). War Domain only gives you Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus for the deity's favored weapon.

Haruki-kun
2007-05-03, 09:42 AM
for some reason I just had a mental image of the spirit of Mufasa from The Lion King accidentally showing up and mistaking her for Simba...

Oh, man, I'm gonna LMAO if that happens:tongue:

Alysar
2007-05-03, 09:47 AM

Then my work here is done. :smallcool: