PDA

View Full Version : Lets have some fun: The Billy Goats Gruff!

FatherLiir
2015-07-05, 11:05 PM
If no one has ever heard of the Norwegian children's Fairy Tale "The Three Billy Goats Gruff", you've... probably had a normal childhood since its very short and just features three goats tricking a troll to cross a bridge so they can eat.

OR you've read The Dresden Files and in the book Small Favor all three brothers make an appearance, which inspired me to look up the original fairy tail.

Below is the last few lines of words in the original story that I found off the University of Pittsburg's Website.

"Well, come along! I've got two spears,
And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;
I've got besides two curling-stones,
And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones.

That was what the big billy goat said. And then he flew at the troll, and poked his eyes out with his horns, and crushed him to bits, body and bones, and tossed him out into the cascade, and after that he went up to the hillside. There the billy goats got so fat they were scarcely able to walk home again."

Well then. A Goat that can single handedly turn a Troll into a fine paste and then feast like a Viking warrior in Vallhalla certainly sounds like a very fun encounter for PCs along with brothers smart and charismatic enough to outwit the troll into letting them win, especially for any campaign flavored with fairy tales. So I suppose I'd like a little help in making such a creature.

Inevitability
2015-07-06, 10:45 AM
Random thought: Are the Ivory goats in the DMG inspired by this story?

As for the monster, seems like your straightforward beefy brute focused on damage. Have it gain bonuses when charging, the ability to knock hit enemies prone then attack them for free, and maybe have the brothers be weaker monsters that debuff enemies and bolster their brother.