PDA

View Full Version : blade-lock

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-07-06, 01:21 AM
So I'm thinking about changing up styles of how I play, and I want to build a human variant bladlock with the GOO (specifically Hadar) as his patron.

Any suggestions stat wise?

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-06, 01:32 AM
It sounds logical, but you just need 18STR and 18CHA or more. Go for lifestealer, and at lv. 12 the extra damage. Make a greatsword your pact weapon and you go at lv. 13 for.
4d6+16 with +9 to hit, and if your maxed out both stats even more. You can go 1 fighter (and maybe 3 berserker) to become a better bladelcoker and even more tanky.

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-07-06, 01:38 AM
Thanks, for the first feat I'm either thinking tough or spell sniper (hadar likes his food tender)

Ashrym
2015-07-06, 02:06 AM
Go with mountain dwarf and 15 starting STR and don't take DEX. At 4th level pick up heavy armor proficiency and you're on track for 18 STR early plus decent AC for melee range. You can run 20 STR, 18 CON, 18 CHA, and polearm master by starting 15/15/15/8/8/8 on point buy if you want, or give up CHA for 16 to also add great weapon master.

That's if you want a melee build that is. Dropping 2 points from CON is still decent if 8's bother you.

Kryx
2015-07-06, 02:15 AM
Fiend is significantly better for bladelock due to the temp hp. I suggest fighter 1 and then fiend bladelock if you want that build.

Otherwise GOO works better on a blaster imo.

I have both of those builds in my game.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-06, 02:51 AM
Fiend is significantly better for bladelock due to the temp hp. I suggest fighter 1 and then fiend bladelock if you want that build.

Otherwise GOO works better on a blaster imo.

I have both of those builds in my game.

Fighter 1/Bladelock(fiend) 14 is a great build, especially in combination with War Caster and Armor of Agathys. Hurl thru hell is very usefull to.

Kryx
2015-07-06, 02:52 AM
Fighter 1/Bladelock(fiend) 14 is a great build, especially in combination with War Caster and Armor of Agathys. Hurl thru hell is very usefull to.
Mine has Heavy Armor Master so he reduces most dmg by 3 and then takes it off his tHP. Makes Armor of Agathys and the fiendish regain HP really strong.

Giant2005
2015-07-06, 06:13 AM
I would recommend taking a level of Cleric (For Heavy Armor proficiency), and as many levels of Abjuration Wizard as you can squeeze in depending on what abilities from Warlock you want. Make sure you take the Armor of Shadows Invocation (For replenishing your Arcane Ward) and the Heavy Armor Master feat. Ideally, you would want at least 7 levels of Wizard for Stoneskin but with a strong inclination to take a minimum of 11 for Investiture of Earth (Which offers the same Damage Resistance as Stoneskin without the hefty price tag) but of course, if you invest so much in Wizard, it is hard to consider yourself a Bladelock.
If the above build didn't make it obvious, Armor of Agathys is your bread and butter and the damage resistances and Arcane Ward are just there to get as much mileage out of it as possible. To be honest, the Warlock levels don't really help due to the Warlock's less useful spellcasting system - the more Wizard levels you take, the higher level you can cast your Armor of Agathys, the more damage you will do.

Kryx
2015-07-06, 06:28 AM
Fighter gives Con save prof while Cleric gives Wis save prof so there is a tradeoff there.

Giant2005
2015-07-06, 06:31 AM
Fighter gives Con save prof while Cleric gives Wis save prof so there is a tradeoff there.

Yeah, I mostly figured he was probably a Warlock already. The only way to get Heavy Armor out of multiclassing is via the Cleric (The extra level for spell slots is kind of nice too).

Sigreid
2015-07-06, 06:36 AM
Crossbow Expert will allow you to use EB in melee. If you take 8 levels of Eldrich fighter you give up some warlocky goodness but pick up an additional ASI, heavy armor (helps reduce MADD) and the ability to EB and melee attack on the same round.

MrStabby
2015-07-06, 07:12 AM
One of my Characters is a Nature Cleric/Bladelock dwarf with a focus on Wisdom and Charisma for combat (str and dex both pretty low).

One thing I would say having played warlock is build for fun. If I hadn't had the one level of nature cleric my spell selection would have been more limited and I would have spent most of the game on one free spell slot (assuming hex was one of my spells). Taking even one level in something else gives you much more choice in what to do in combat and makes the game much more interesting.

One level in fighter is "good" for effectiveness of the character but two gives you action surge, three could give you battlemaster abilities or eldritch knight casting on top... Probably not as good - but more likely to keep you entertained at the table. Some abilities you can get with feats instead - shieldmaster to shove people for example, but you are MAD and dont get any extra ASIs so this is then a bit limited

Bladelocks can be a pain to multiclass though - with key abilities at level 5 and level 12 each extra level before those points can hurt quite a bit.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-07, 09:30 AM

Why just 14 levels in fiend? You can also go for 2 levels in paladin or even more
If you go 14 fiend 1 fighter 5 paladin you're a very good bladelock.

You can go for 5 barbarian instead of the 5 paladin for frenzy.