PDA

View Full Version : Help!

blelliot
2015-07-06, 09:42 AM
I am tinkering with my first homebrew 5e monster. I am trying for balor demon, reflavored to have attacks that deal necrotic damage and the powers of a 20th level necromancer. Now I've been attempting to calculate challenge rating, but the DMG doesn't spell out a formula for me on CR calculations. Sorry, to sound dumb, but could you guys help me out? Thanks in advance!help

Demonic Spoon
2015-07-06, 09:49 AM
It does, actually - towards the back (I don't have a page number), it includes guidelines for setting the CR of a monster, as well as a table for baseline numbers per CR. Though, you'll need to go on intuition somewhat if you're adding magic that doesn't have a quantifiable increase in damage per round.

blelliot
2015-07-06, 09:55 AM
I've seen the chart. I was afraid I was going to have to use my best judgement. Oh boy. This could get interesting. Taking a balor and turning it into a giant Shadow demon and giving it spells and the other powers of a necromancer. I think I'm looking at CR 22 at least.
Thank god it's a game end monster lol

Demonic Spoon
2015-07-06, 09:58 AM
I've seen the chart. I was afraid I was going to have to use my best judgement. Oh boy. This could get interesting. Taking a balor and turning it into a giant Shadow demon and giving it spells and the other powers of a necromancer. I think I'm looking at CR 22 at least.
Thank god it's a game end monster lol

There's always the homebrew forum here - you could post what you come up with over there and have others take a look to see if they agree.

blelliot
2015-07-06, 10:01 AM
Oh! I didn't even think about that. Thank you!