PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Equipment

Ruethgar
2015-07-06, 02:02 PM
I am making a society or serpentine creatures(have yet to decide on Awakened Glass Lizards or Familiar Formed Gully Dawrf to Small Constrictor but leaning toward the later for balance) but I've run into the issue of equipment. To keep them on even footing with everyone else I could just give them all the same slots, but all of the slots make for a busy looking humanoid character let alone a snake.

Whould there be much of a balance issue if I gave them enchantable body slots/tattoos but no base item. Still allow barding, saddle, helm, mouthpick, and eye slots, but the rest are just direct bodily enchants. Could just require they get custom Prestige Races that take body slots I suppose. Any suggestions on how to handle serpentine equipment?

Red Fel
2015-07-06, 02:23 PM
Do you have access to Savage Species? If memory serves, there were several options for serpentine body types in there, such as the Tail Blade and Tail Club which can be affixed to the titular limb, a harness designed to serve the function of a belt for creatures that can't wear belts for reasons, and, of course, the Arms of the Naga, a harness that gives a creature artificial arms.

You could also use grafts to grant them arm or leg slots; these could double as a status symbol in serpentine society.

Ruethgar
2015-07-06, 05:27 PM
The issue is not with making items to fill all the slots, it is with the aesthetics of a snake wearing a belt, armor, cloak, rings, amulet, boot-like tail piece and tail blades. They are going to be largely animalistic and primitive, grafts seem a little higher end than they are capable of, but I might allow them to be able to mutate as per MSRD for arms and wings.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-06, 05:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/EdmundOG/Robin%20Hood/sirhiss01.jpg

DrMotives
2015-07-06, 08:40 PM
The Serpent Kingdoms book should help you as well. It's a campaign sourcebook for all reptilian humanoids, mostly Yuan-Ti, but also covering Naga a bit as well. It's got feats & gear that will address your issues.