PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help finding a spell

ReD_Exorcist
2015-07-06, 06:39 PM
Hey everyone its me Red again. Im looking for a spell that allows the caster to send thoughts and ideas to another person. Reason Im looking for it is because I am playing a bard currently and our party leader is going to be a Duskblade. He is fairly new to being a leader, and since I already have experience being one I wanted to help him out. My DM agreed that he would be the one relaying the messages to him that way he doesn't know its from a certain party member. I want him to feel like he's involved in the game but everyone else thinks we should place me as the leader. So my conclusion is to secretly give him advice making him think its like a second voice in his characters head. So if anyone knows any spells that can do this it would be great if you could post a link or something of it. BTW I am playing Catfolk bard and my friend is a Tiefling Duskblade we are currently level 10, me being lvl 9 though since I have a LA +1.

frogglesmash
2015-07-06, 06:51 PM
Maybe a custom item based of the helm of thought projection? (cursed item in the DMG)

A_S
2015-07-06, 07:09 PM
If you can keep him from noticing that you're whispering, the cantrip Message (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm) will do the trick. Of course, the jig will be up if he ever notices that the voice in his head corresponds to your lips moving...

Ghost Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghostSound.htm) would let you deliver vocal messages, but everybody would be able to hear them.

Speak to Allies (SpC) is like message, except you don't have to whisper. The recipients have the opportunity to reply, but you can just pretend not to hear the replies (and there's no indication that the recipients have any way of knowing they're under the effects of the spell if they don't notice you casting it). If your DM rules that you can make your voice not recognizable when using this spell, it's probably your best bet.

Lesser Telepathic Bond (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/telepathicBondLesser.htm) avoids the whispering issue, but can only be cast on willing creatures. Sleeping targets are considered willing, but the spell only lasts 10 minutes/level, so you could only send your messages in the morning (and somebody might notice you casting the spell on him every morning before he wakes up, unless you're careful about concealing your activities).

Interplanar Message (SpC) requires you to touch the target, and then you have 1 day/level to send your message after that. The target gets a save unless they're willing, but again, sleeping creatures are willing. It doesn't say whether or not the recipient gets any hints about who's sending the message.

Sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) is probably not a good option, since the recipient explicitly recognizes you if they know you.

Dream (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dream.htm) will let you deliver messages to a sleeping target, but not an awake one. Normally you'd appear in the dream, which would identify you to the recipient, but you can designate a messenger other than yourself, so you could come up with some kind of shenanigans where a messenger the recipient doesn't recognize would be the one dispensing the advice.

-----

Now, as to the other part of your post (besides the mechanics of delivering the messages): This seems like an in-character solution to an out-of-character problem. If nobody trusts this guy to be party leader, why is he party leader? And, conversely, if it's been decided that this guy gets to be party leader, why are you so eager to make sure he doesn't get to actually lead?

Why not just have everybody roleplay their characters in an actually reasonable way, where they go along with plans they agree with and argue with plans they don't agree with? "Party Leader" is not an actual position that has to be filled in a D&D party. You can just, you know, play your characters according to their traits and motivations, and have plans develop accordingly.

If I were the guy you're planning on springing this on, and I found out what you were doing, and why, I'd be pissed.

Janthkin
2015-07-07, 03:12 PM
Simplest is one level of Mindbender (assuming non-Good). Rary's Telepathic Bond (PHB) is good for group telepathy, but 5th level. Same issue on Sending.

Have you considered the Wile E. Coyote approach: Silent Image to let you hold up signs for him to read at opportune moments? :)

nedz
2015-07-07, 04:51 PM
Have you considered the Wile E. Coyote approach: Silent Image to let you hold up signs for him to read at opportune moments? :)

I like this.

Maybe you could drop illusory rocks on his head every time he suggests something stupid — he's bound to blame the DM ?

The rocks could even have messages carved on them.

Still Spell and Silent Spell would help here.

Janthkin
2015-07-07, 05:26 PM
Still Spell and Silent Spell would help here.Duskblades don't get Spot; use either the alternate use for Sleight of Hand (described in Races of Stone), or perhaps the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick.

Edit: Actually, this could hilarious - do a little research for a phantasm version of Silent Image, which only your target can actually see, and suddenly your "leader" is getting divine instructions written in letters of fire that are only visible to him...but only when he fails his Will save.

nedz
2015-07-07, 06:47 PM
Duskblades don't get Spot; use either the alternate use for Sleight of Hand (described in Races of Stone), or perhaps the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick.
Does the Bard have Sleight of Hand though ?
It is a class skill so he might.
At level 10 he's likely to have around +15 so it's not guaranteed.

Edit: Actually, this could hilarious - do a little research for a phantasm version of Silent Image, which only your target can actually see, and suddenly your "leader" is getting divine instructions written in letters of fire that are only visible to him...but only when he fails his Will save.

Illusory Script (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/illusoryScript.htm) — Bard 3. Combine with a simple Invisibility spell for usage and the writing is on the wall.