PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of a humanoid plant race in d&d (preferably 3.5/3)

redx
2015-07-06, 08:06 PM
Looking for stats on a Humanoid plant race. There are obvious ways to home-brew this in the rules, but id like to see info on any that already exist. Im open to any info form other RPGS as long as it actually has stats/info/etc that would be useful in developing a personal home-brew. Thanks (P.S. am i missing something obvious in this race that explains why it hasn't been published?)

Marlowe
2015-07-06, 08:09 PM
Volodni from Unapproachable East spring to mind, but they don't have Humanoid [Plant] status, they're just straight-up Plant.
http://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/unapproachableeast01.jpg

Green lady second from right.

[EDIT: Link (http://www.reality.net/dnd/pdf/DnD-Forgotten%20Realms%20-%20Unapproachable%20East%20-%20OCR.pdf) if you don't have the book.

frogglesmash
2015-07-06, 09:06 PM
What do you mean humanoid plant? A humanoid with a plant them. A human shaped plant creature? A creature with both humanoid and plant types? If it's the first one then there should be an assortment of fey (perhaps the Thorn from MMIII) that fit the bill, as for the second option the first things that come to my mind are the Needlefolk, and Myconids from MMII, as well as the Woodling template in MMIII. I'm pretty sure you won't find anything for the last option as creatures never have more than one type (though they may have more than one subtype.)

redx
2015-07-06, 09:08 PM
Cool this is the type of stuff I am looking for. Unfortunately they veer to far away from humans. I intentionally wasn't more specific in my description of what I am trying to do just so I could get this type of information also, so thanks for the info :)

redx
2015-07-06, 09:12 PM
What do you mean humanoid plant? A humanoid with a plant them. A human shaped plant creature? A creature with both humanoid and plant types? If it's the first one then there should be an assortment of fey (perhaps the Thorn from MMIII) that fit the bill, as for the second option the first things that come to my mind are the Needlefolk, and Myconids from MMII, as well as the Woodling template in MMIII. I'm pretty sure you won't find anything for the last option as creatures never have more than one type (though they may have more than one subtype.)

All of these are the type of creature I was looking for. More specifically I am looking for a something closer to a human plant hybrid, but since I think I am going to have to home brew I left it a little more vague. I have been looking into some of the MM "plants" and also in to some of the spell touched info. Thanks for this list though I completely missed the woodland template when I was looking through MMIII.

Crake
2015-07-06, 09:14 PM
If you're looking for a humanoid shaped plant creature, well, treants to start (though they're huge), wood wose also fit the bill. I think killoren have a plant-y theme to them. Also any humanoid creature with the woodling template.

frogglesmash
2015-07-06, 09:31 PM
Iirc there's another plant template in manual of the planes though it may just be the 3.0 version of the woodling template. There's also an evil humanoid shrubbery in MMII called a twig blight. There's the woodwoad MMIII, the Briarvex MMIV, oh and can't forget Dryad, they're the most humanoid of the whole lot, though I think they're fey and not plants. If their tree dependency proves to be a problem I seem to recall there being some sort of magical item that allows them to overcome it. There's also the yellow musk zombie template from fiend folio, but that might be somewhat limiting.

Elkad
2015-07-06, 09:32 PM
Vegepygmies aren't plants, but they are are fun-guys!

In 1e, 2e, and PF at least.

VEGEPYGMY

Small Plant
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
Attack: Claw +1 melee (1d4); or spear +1 melee (1d6/x3), or spear +3 ranged (1d6/x3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +1 melee (1d4); or spear +1 melee (1d6/x3), or spear +3 ranged (1d6/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Plant, immunity to piercing weapons, immune to electricity, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +7*, Listen +7, Move Silently +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Warm forest and underground
Organization: Gang (4-9), band (10-100, + chief)
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Small), 5-6 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: –

Skills: Vegepygmies receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks. *They receive a +12 bonus to Hide checks when in swampy or forested areas.

Necroticplague
2015-07-06, 09:44 PM
I remember two templates that are both pretty decent that make this: Wood elemental and Greendbound. Just slap the templates onto some other humanoid creature. Topiary Golem does something similar.

Also, if the 'hybrid' is the important part, the Symbiotic template from Savage Species lets you combine any Plant and Humanoid (assuming one is a good deal smaller than the other). Common choice I've seen is Dread Blossom Swarm.

Milo v3
2015-07-06, 10:12 PM
Not 3.5e, but PF has Ghoran that can be easily converted to 3.5e by making them have "+2 Con, -2 Intelligence".

Nashira
2015-07-07, 12:59 AM
Killoren from Races of the Wild, pg. 102 - 106
I absolutely adore them. Cool fluff, decent crunch. Though they are technically fey, they look very plant like and could easily be restarted as such.

Marlowe
2015-07-07, 01:04 AM
Except Killoren are supposed to look pretty much the same as Elves or Half-Elves with odd colouration.

Evidently, nobody told the artist this.

Nashira
2015-07-07, 02:39 AM
Except Killoren are supposed to look pretty much the same as Elves or Half-Elves with odd colouration.

Evidently, nobody told the artist this.

"I Choose to believe what I was programmed to believe!"

I'm going to side with the artists on the Killoren, because space. Besides, we have too many Elven races as it is--

Darrin
2015-07-07, 05:35 AM
Myconids: rockin' (or rather plantin') it old school.
Needlefolk. Probably a few others.

redx
2015-07-07, 10:00 AM
Wow so many things to look at. I have been an OTS reader for many years but only really lurked around the forums. I have to say I am amazed at the quantity and speed of responses. Thanks everyone.

nyjastul69
2015-07-07, 10:18 AM
This (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/results.php?id=1542252170&skip=0) is what the Monster Finder produced for plant type creatures. It doesn't contain all of the books, but it does have many of them.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-07, 01:23 PM
Greenbound creature! It's only +8 LA!

ZamielVanWeber
2015-07-07, 01:53 PM
Greenbound creature! It's only +8 LA!

Easy fix. Be a greenbound animal with the leadership feat. Your cohort is a druid with greenbound summoning and prepares nothing but Summon Nature's Ally spells. Summon you in when you are needed.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-07, 02:31 PM
The Volodni and the Twig Blight are the two lowest LA options at +2 and no HD. The twig blight unfortunatelyyyyyy has -6 int and -6 cha. Volodni are better unless you need the bite attack or the poison.

Woodling is a +3 LA template that does not change the creature's type but does grant plant traits. Also 7 NA, a slam attack, SLAs and some other junk. There are four classes that change type to Plant; Forest Master 7, Talontar Blightlord, Verdant Lord and Thrall of Zuggtmoy, all at level 10. None of that is accessible before ECL 16/17.

As an aside, the greenbound template I found listed the LA as +8, but I also found a source saying it's +5 in Lost Empires of Faerun. Has the greenbound template been printed in multiple places?

atemu1234
2015-07-07, 11:04 PM
Is Pathfinder on the table?