PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What Have Your Hermits Discovered?

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-06, 08:32 PM
I've been wondering about this since I first read the background on page 134 in the PHB, and I've yet to come up with anything. So I'm asking you, my fellow DMs...

What discoveries have your hermits made?:mitd:

Bonus questions:
Begged questions from bonds 5 and 6, how could this discovery ruin the world :redcloak:or be a great evil? :xykon:

Thanks in advance for your support of my very first thread.

Naanomi
2015-07-06, 08:50 PM
-location of stable portal to sigil
-a magic ritual to permanently seal away magic from a place, item, or even person
-secret alchemical beer recipes that can get anyone; even a God; drunk for all eternity
-A method for unlocking, or closing, the way to the Far Realm performable only from the deepest Ocean depths
-secret, often dangerous, routes through the fey realms and shadow plane that connect wild places through the world
-that one star in the sky is really a crystal sphere containing a whole other inhabited plane

asorel
2015-07-06, 08:51 PM
That there existed something on the other side of the cellar door after all.

Georlik
2015-07-07, 03:41 AM
- Location of wellspring of Holy water.
- Mead of Poetry receipt.
- Name and location of ancient wise dragon.
- Means to travel 10,000 years into the future.
- The place where the root of Yggdrassil emerges at the surface.
- That there is a constant power struggle between Moon and Land druid circles.
- The when and where the new messiah is born.
- That the head of holy order is actually a Bronze Dragon in disguise.
- What actually happened in Forgotten Realms during the Dawn Cataclysm.
- How to train your dragon.
- Theory of solipsism.

Inevitability
2015-07-07, 09:40 AM
I had a hermit character play in my campaign once. His discovery was pretty much a way for me to give him an IC reason to join the party, though.

WampDiesel
2015-07-07, 09:58 AM
A campaign I just finished playing I was a gnome hermit divination wizard nicknamed "dark seer" because every vision he had was of pain and torment.

This game was set in Faerun (Forgotten Realms). He finally came out of seclusion resolved to stop the pain and suffering he saw on a daily basis when he had a vision of a piece of the Shadowfell in the control of a necromancer. There were 3 of these objects, each with immeasurable power to create and control undead. I then had a vision on how to destroy these evil objects. I attached myself to a group of able bodied adventurers and off we went to save the world.

Turns out the second one was owned by a vampire and he got really pissed at us when we took and hid the first one. This caused him to murder a whole bunch of people in places we had just been in order to try an find us. So the group becomes hated for trying to dispose of an evil artifact because ruin follows them everywhere they go.

This discovery could have definitely been used for evil but I was playing with a bunch of new players (and a paladin who was also on a quest to destroy these artifacts) so I didn't end up doing anything crazy.

allenw
2015-07-07, 11:00 AM
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

KorvinStarmast
2015-07-07, 11:52 AM
What Have Your Hermits Discovered

Prodigious amounts of lint in the navel.

Ziegander
2015-07-07, 11:58 AM
In a Westeros game I ran (set roughly 100 years in the future of the events of ADWD) I had a player of a Hermit Giant Ranger that discovered by accident the process for creating dragonsteel.

obeseboywonder
2015-07-07, 12:12 PM
That 42 is a very important number.

Nicrosil
2015-07-07, 02:34 PM
That Ramses, the famed golden luchador who took over the Orc monastery where my character was trained, is actually a Dragonborn.

charcoalninja
2015-07-08, 07:10 PM
We're playing 4e Realms because WotC for whatever reason has decided to not publish a 5e realms even though its the default setting...

ANYWAY.

My hermit has discovered that Mystra is actually still alive and that something big with the weave is about to go down (the events of the 4E adventures War of Everlasting Darkness)

tieren
2015-07-08, 10:42 PM
Mine discovered an heretofore unknown herb which cures blindness and causes hunger.

Malifice
2015-07-08, 11:28 PM
"That all of reality is really just a giant game played in the shared consciousness of a group of beings on a higher plane of existence, and that everyone's actions are determined by the fall of dice'

It's kind of funny. It allows him to (in game) point out the meta and break the fourth wall:

Hermit (to rest of party): 'First we'll encounter skeletons, zombies, kobolds and goblins, before a big fight with an Ogre that will nearly kill us all. Then more giants will gradually start to feature - and the undead will become Ghouls and Wights, before finally Vampires and Liches. Then Dragons! It wont matter how powerful we become, or what we learn, our combats will just feature equally balanced and powerful creatures!'

or:

DM: 'The merchant has for sale a +1 sword..'

Hermit: (maniacally) 'Ah-ha! I told you! PLUS ONE TO 'WHAT' exactly!'

or:

Other players: 'One of us needs to negotiate with the prince...'

Hermit (in character): 'Not me, I dumped Charisma.'

It's like having Deadpool in the party.

No-one believes him of course.

Rallicus
2015-07-09, 09:50 AM
snip

This is amazing.

Though they're no longer in the campaign, my group's hermit discovered an ancient dragon deep in the forest... in a world where no dragons older than adult have been seen in decades.

Very boring compared to some of these.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-09, 10:45 AM
This is amazing.

I agree. I just wanted ideas, as I had none for my hermits, and other DMs came up with fluff like navel lint.

JAL_1138
2015-07-11, 01:19 AM
That 42 is a very important number.

Or maybe "We apologize for the inconvenience."

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-14, 06:30 PM
Thank you to all who participated.

Safety Sword
2015-07-14, 06:34 PM
Crabs. Obviously.

Celcey
2015-07-14, 09:01 PM
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Yes. This. Automatically.

Azreal
2015-07-15, 02:40 PM
"You see Magic in this world holds it together, when those "mages" bind magic into an item they take from the world. Take too much and magic lines shift and nature reacts violently with nothing repressing her energy, worse things wake up as their prisons weaken. Destroy too many items and magic surges where shifting should occur things come to a standstill frozen in time.

You need to find the balance and help to make sure they don't destroy those swords."

The glowing apparition of a young elven girl then bopped the hermit on the nose and vanished in a buff of leaves.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-07-15, 02:56 PM
"That all of reality is really just a giant game played in the shared consciousness of a group of beings on a higher plane of existence, and that everyone's actions are determined by the fall of dice'

It's kind of funny. It allows him to (in game) point out the meta and break the fourth wall:

Hermit (to rest of party): 'First we'll encounter skeletons, zombies, kobolds and goblins, before a big fight with an Ogre that will nearly kill us all. Then more giants will gradually start to feature - and the undead will become Ghouls and Wights, before finally Vampires and Liches. Then Dragons! It wont matter how powerful we become, or what we learn, our combats will just feature equally balanced and powerful creatures!'

or:

DM: 'The merchant has for sale a +1 sword..'

Hermit: (maniacally) 'Ah-ha! I told you! PLUS ONE TO 'WHAT' exactly!'

or:

Other players: 'One of us needs to negotiate with the prince...'

Hermit (in character): 'Not me, I dumped Charisma.'

It's like having Deadpool in the party.

No-one believes him of course.

Sooo... Deadpool in D&D? Niiiice :smallbiggrin:

Fwiffo86
2015-07-15, 07:43 PM
The location of a buried Mind Flayer starship from Spelljammer. Millennia old.