PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The Brood: A "Breath of Fire" based Homebrew (Suggestions and critique welcome)

lynxd80
2015-07-06, 09:35 PM
I got bored at work and decided to take some inspiration from another Homebrew to design my own version of "The Brood/Dragon Clan" From "Breath of Fire" Series. Please feel free to tell me what you think and how I can improve it!

• +2 Strength, Constitution +2, -2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: For Males
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution: For Females
• Shape-changer (Draconic; Humaniod)
• Medium: As Medium creatures, Brood has no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Brood base land speed is 30 feet.
• Warrior Form (Su): Brood may shift to an Alternate Form once per day, plus one for each 4 levels they possess (Maximum of 6 times at Level 20). In their Alternate Form, they gains a pair of Draconic wings with a Fly speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability). They cannot fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Brood can safely fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). Brood can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because they can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods, even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued. When they reach 12 HD, they have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. They also gain a pair of Draconic claws (Primary: 1d6+Strength) and a Draconic Tail (Secondary: 1d6+ ½ strength). Their hair lengthens, Skin toughens, they grow short Draconic horns, and their lower torso shifts to become more Draconic; granting them a +2 Natural Armor.

They can, also, make a dive attack. A dive attack Functions like a charge, but they must fly a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. They can make a dive attack only when using their claws; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. You can use the run action while flying, provided you fly in a straight line.
• Dragon Form (Su): At 5th level, a Brood gains the ability to turn themselves into any Tiny or Small Dragon and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the Dragon type (see the Monster Manual). This ability functions like the alternate form special ability (see the Monster Manual), except as noted here. Effect lasts for 10 Minutes per Brood level, or until they changes back. Changing form (to Dragon or back) is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use Dragon shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.

Any gear worn or carried by the Brood melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the Brood reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

The form chosen must be that of an Dragon the Brood is familiar with or has seen before. For example, a Brood who has never been outside a temperate forest could not become a White Dragon, less she knew of the Dragon or had seen one before.

A Brood can use this ability 1 more time per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. In addition, They gain the ability to take the shape of a Medium Dragon at 8th level, a Large Dragon at 11th level, and a Huge Dragon at 15th level. The new form's Hit Dice can't exceed the character's level. However, they may gain a +1 for determining HD of Dragon's Form at Levels 6, 12, and 18.
• Breath Weapon (Su): When transformed into a Dragon form; The Brood may use the Breath weapon of the appropriate form and size. This weapon may be used a number of times as listed for the Base form at it's size. This effect does not function in their Humaniod or Warrior forms.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any (Except secret languages, like Druidic.) .
• Favored Class: Any.
• Level Adjustment: +5

~Lynx D.

Debihuman
2015-07-07, 09:37 PM
Type is Humanoid, Subtype is Shapechanger but what is "Draconic"? Don't create new subtypes for no reason. Normally, Draconic is a language.

Warrior form needs a lot of editing. I recommend that you lose a lot of unnecessary description and add more game mechanics. At 12 HD why do they have the same Flight speed and maneuverability as when they started? If it isn't improving, don't mention it. How can their minimum speed also be their MAXIMUM speed?

Dragon Form is too vague. Starting characters might not have ever seen a dragon in the first place. I recommend that you lose the descriptions again and stick to mechanics.

LA seems to be too low but I'd have to see the corrected version first.

Debby

EdroGrimshell
2015-07-07, 10:30 PM
I think it's a typo of the Dragonblood subtype.

lynxd80
2015-07-11, 01:45 PM
Type is Humanoid, Subtype is Shapechanger but what is "Draconic"? Don't create new subtypes for no reason. Normally, Draconic is a language.

Warrior form needs a lot of editing. I recommend that you lose a lot of unnecessary description and add more game mechanics. At 12 HD why do they have the same Flight speed and maneuverability as when they started? If it isn't improving, don't mention it. How can their minimum speed also be their MAXIMUM speed?

Dragon Form is too vague. Starting characters might not have ever seen a dragon in the first place. I recommend that you lose the descriptions again and stick to mechanics.

LA seems to be too low but I'd have to see the corrected version first.

Debby

I did mean Dragon-Blooded. And, I'll go back and rework it. Note: I actually took some of these descriptions from feats and other abilites I';ve seen. I tried to rework the wording a bit to fit, but you're probably right. Thanks for the advice!

~Lynx D.

lynxd80
2015-07-21, 07:38 PM
I went back and used the suggestions given. I, also, touched a few things not mentioned. What do you all think?

• Shape-changer (Dragon-blooded; Humaniod)

• Medium: As Medium creatures, Brood has no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

• Brood base land speed is 30 feet.

• Warrior Form (Su): Brood may shift to an Alternate Form once per day, plus one for each 4 levels they possess (Maximum of 6 times at Level 20). In their Alternate Form, their hair lengthens, Skin toughens, they grow short Draconic horns, and their lower torso shifts to become more Draconic; granting them +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and +2 Natural Armor. However, they also gain a -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, and -2 Wisdom. They gains a pair of Draconic wings with a Fly speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability) and, also, gain a pair of Draconic claws (Primary: 1d6+Strength) and a Draconic Tail (Secondary: 1d6+ ½ strength).

• Dragon Form (Su): At 5th level, a Brood gains the ability to turn themselves into any Tiny or Small Dragon and back again once per day. This ability functions like the alternate form Special Ability, except as noted:

Effect lasts for 1 Minutes per 2 class levels, or until they change back. Changing form is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Each time you use Dragon shape, you gain hit points appropriate to the Dragon form minus any damage previously taken. Any gear worn or carried by the Brood melds into the Dragon form and becomes nonfunctional. When the Brood reverts to her Humaniod form, any objects previously melded into the Dragon form reappears functional and in the same location on her body. Any new items worn in Dragon form falls off and land at the Brood’s feet upon changing back.

The Brood can use this ability 1 more time per day at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. In addition, They gain the ability to take the shape of a Medium Dragon at 8th level, a Large Dragon at 12th level, and a Huge Dragon at 16th level. The new form's Hit Dice can't exceed the character's level. However, they may gain a +1 for determining HD of Dragon's Form at Levels 6, 12, and 18.

• Breath Weapon (Su): When transformed into a Dragon form; The Brood may use the Breath weapon of the appropriate form and size. This weapon may be used a number of times as listed for the Base form at it's size. This effect does not function in their Humaniod or Warrior forms.

• Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any (Except secret languages, like Druidic.) .

• Favored Class: Fighter.
• Level Adjustment: ???

Debihuman
2015-07-22, 04:59 AM
Here are my suggestions. The alternate form should just be a dragon form. Humanoid form is its natural form. Warrior is a class not an alternate form. Don't use level use HD. I'm really not sure why you made this more complex than it needed to be. Being a dragon is cool but it kinda sucks that you only get to be a dragon for one minute at first level.

The dragon clan (also known as the brood) is a race of Humanoids capable of turning into Dragons.

Brood Racial Traits

The broods are Humanoids with the Dragonblooded and Shapechanger Subtypes.
Medium: As Medium creatures, the broods no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
A brood's base land speed is 30 feet.
Alternate Form (Su): As a standard action, broods may shift into dragon form once per day, plus 1 for every 4 HD they possess (maximum of 6). In their dragon form, their hair lengthens, their skin toughens, they grow short draconic horns, and their lower torso shifts to become more draconic. Their dragon form grants them +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and +2 Natural Armor bonuses. However, they also take -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, and -2 Wisdom penalties. In addition, they gain a pair of draconic wings along with a Fly speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), a pair of draconic claws, and a tail. Their claws are natural primary weapons, causing 1d6 points of damage plus their strength modifier. Their tail slap is a natural secondary weapon, causing 1d6 points of damage plus ½ their strength modifier. At 5 HD, they gain the ability to change into a Small or Tiny Dragon. At 10 HD, they gain the ability to change into a Large Dragon. At 15 HD, they gain the ability to change into a Huge dragon. Changing forms provokes an attack of opportunity and a brood may stay in dragon form for 1 minute plus 1 minute per 2 HD, unless they choose to change back sooner. Their gear melds into their dragon form.
Breath Weapon (Su): Three times a day as a standard action, a brood in dragon form may use its breath weapon. It gains a dragon's breath weapon appropriate to the size and type of dragon form it takes.
Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any (Except secret languages, like Druidic.) .
Favored Class: Fighter.
Level Adjustment: +2

lynxd80
2015-07-22, 08:39 PM
Here are my suggestions. The alternate form should just be a dragon form. Humanoid form is its natural form. Warrior is a class not an alternate form. Don't use level use HD. I'm really not sure why you made this more complex than it needed to be. Being a dragon is cool but it kinda sucks that you only get to be a dragon for one minute at first level.

The dragon clan (also known as the brood) is a race of Humanoids capable of turning into Dragons.

Brood Racial Traits

The broods are Humanoids with the Dragonblooded and Shapechanger Subtypes.
Medium: As Medium creatures, the broods no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
A brood's base land speed is 30 feet.
Alternate Form (Su): As a standard action, broods may shift into dragon form once per day, plus 1 for every 4 HD they possess (maximum of 6). In their dragon form, their hair lengthens, their skin toughens, they grow short draconic horns, and their lower torso shifts to become more draconic. Their dragon form grants them +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and +2 Natural Armor bonuses. However, they also take -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, and -2 Wisdom penalties. In addition, they gain a pair of draconic wings along with a Fly speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), a pair of draconic claws, and a tail. Their claws are natural primary weapons, causing 1d6 points of damage plus their strength modifier. Their tail slap is a natural secondary weapon, causing 1d6 points of damage plus ½ their strength modifier. At 5 HD, they gain the ability to change into a Small or Tiny Dragon. At 10 HD, they gain the ability to change into a Large Dragon. At 15 HD, they gain the ability to change into a Huge dragon. Changing forms provokes an attack of opportunity and a brood may stay in dragon form for 1 minute plus 1 minute per 2 HD, unless they choose to change back sooner. Their gear melds into their dragon form.
Breath Weapon (Su): Three times a day as a standard action, a brood in dragon form may use its breath weapon. It gains a dragon's breath weapon appropriate to the size and type of dragon form it takes.
Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any (Except secret languages, like Druidic.) .
Favored Class: Fighter.
Level Adjustment: +2

It's kinda my first attempt at "Home-brewing" a Race... As you can see, I'm not extremely proficent at it, yet ^_^;;. But, I must say that you helped simplify it down QUITE a bit and even made it more readily accessible to play! I appreciate the suggestions and the aid! Thank you.

~Lynx D.

Debihuman
2015-07-23, 09:18 AM
You're welcome. It takes a while to figure out and the more you look at the standard races and their traits, the better an idea you'll have of what's needed.

The one thing I think is odd is that a brood has longer hair in dragon form than in human form! Dragons don't even have hair usually. Is that right? I'm not familiar with the source material so I didn't change it.

Debby

lynxd80
2015-07-27, 09:36 PM
The one thing I think is odd is that a brood has longer hair in dragon form than in human form! Dragons don't even have hair usually. Is that right? I'm not familiar with the source material so I didn't change it.

Classic anime/Videogame logic XD. In the series to which the brood originate (Capcom's Breath of fire), the hero is a member of the Dragon clan (Later series renamed them as "The Brood") and has the power to turn into dragons. Starting in the third installment, though, members of the Dragon clan/Brood had access to a hybrid form (The third installment named it the "Warrior" form) which transformed the main character into a Half-dragon with a humaniod basic structure that featured draconic arms, legs, tail, wings, horns, claws, ears, scale patterning, AND a lengthening of hair from short to mid back length.

Hence the write-up when transforming into a "Hybrid" form. I will add that it's a shame you've never heard of the series. It's, personally, one of my all-time favorite Console RPG series!

~Lynx D.