PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5e] Aasimar - Planetouched

HungryJack619
2015-07-06, 11:35 PM
My DM and I are having some difficulties with the Aasimar race in 3.5, and the point of contention is all revolving around something in the OGL.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Planetouched%E2%80%94Aasimars_(Race)

On this page it lists Weapon and Armor Proficiencies for the Aasimar race very clearly. The point of contention, however, is that we can't find those proficiencies listed in any source material. Does anyone have any idea if the information listed on the wiki is accurate and, if so, what the sourcebook on those specific proficiencies is.

Thank guys!

torrasque666
2015-07-06, 11:37 PM
Its part of the Outsider type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType).

HungryJack619
2015-07-06, 11:40 PM
I did see that at one point, which backs up the weapon proficiency. What about armor? The outsider traits states that they're proficient with anything that they're described as wearing, but I'm unable to find those descriptions anywhere? Is it listed as Medium Armor simply because the Level-1 Warrior Example Character (Found in the MM, Faerun Campaign Setting, Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny) is listed with a form of medium armor and a heavy shield?

Marlowe
2015-07-07, 12:26 AM
I did see that at one point, which backs up the weapon proficiency. What about armor? The outsider traits states that they're proficient with anything that they're described as wearing, but I'm unable to find those descriptions anywhere? Is it listed as Medium Armor simply because the Level-1 Warrior Example Character (Found in the MM, Faerun Campaign Setting, Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny) is listed with a form of medium armor and a heavy shield?

http://i.imgur.com/BW4Y1hJ.jpg

Svata
2015-07-07, 02:32 AM

Yes, and that is the description of what they're wearing. Of course, that brings up the question of if he has "Armor Prof. (medium)" because he is wearing medium armor, or if its just "Armor Prof. (medium) (scale mail) because proficiencies are often subdivided to each weapon/armor type. Okay, almost always unless its a class feature. And that brings up the same question on all other creatures who are proficient with what they are described as wearing.

HungryJack619
2015-07-07, 04:34 PM
Now question. Is that specific example character proficient in Medium Armor and a Heavy Shield because he's an Aasimar, or because his class is Warrior which gives him those proficiencies? What source are the proficiencies from?

Marlowe
2015-07-07, 09:44 PM
He is described as wearing armour in the MM description, so as per Outsider type, he is proficient. His status as a warrior does not matter at all.

Please note that the Tiefling sample character is a Rogue. She has a light shield. Please note that Rogues are not normally proficient with shields. The class of the sample character effects nothing.

This is going around in circles.

atemu1234
2015-07-07, 11:13 PM
He is described as wearing armour in the MM description, so as per Outsider type, he is proficient. His status as a warrior does not matter at all.

Please note that the Tiefling sample character is a Rogue. She has a light shield. Please note that Rogues are not normally proficient with shields. The class of the sample character effects nothing.

This is going around in circles.

Well, it does say, 'as described wearing', class levels or no.

marphod
2015-07-08, 11:12 PM
An easy way to sidestep the problem:

Use the non-LA version of the Aasimar (Lesser Aasimar) from Forgotten Realms.

The type changes to Humanoid (Planetouched), which means no special weapon or armor proficiencies.

Taveena
2015-07-08, 11:38 PM
An easy way to sidestep the problem:

Use the non-LA version of the Aasimar (Lesser Aasimar) from Forgotten Realms.

The type changes to Humanoid (Planetouched), which means no special weapon or armor proficiencies.

Frankly this works out pretty well. Eat the LA and get proficiencies and immunity to Verb Person spells, or don't, and just be a race with really nice stat adjustments at LA +0.