PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Class: Scion

Submortimer
2015-07-07, 04:04 AM
Scion

There are heroes of all shapes and sizes: Some of unfailing skill, some of unmatched strength, or even those of incalculable wit wisdom. These heroes leave their marks, not only on history, but on the world around them: on their allies, on their descendants, and even on their possessions.

A scion, by comparison, does not start with the same measure of might as one of the heroes of old, but gains some of that through interaction with an artifact of that legacy. Through prophecy, successcion, or perhaps mere happenstance, they have been granted the greatest possession of a legendary hero, and are expected to follow in his or her path.

[tr]
Level
Prof. Bonus
Features

+2
Legendary Artifact, Scion of Legacy

+2
Aura of Greatness

+2
Artifact Ability

+2
Ability Score Improvement

+3
Extra Attack

+3
Chosen Champion

+3
Artifact Ability

+3

+4
Aura of Heroisim

+4

+4
Artifact Ability

+4

+5

+5

+5
Artifact Ability

+5

+6
Legacy Guardian

+6
Artifact Ability

+6
Ability Score Improvement, Sign Boost

+6
True Legacy

Health and Hit Dice:
At level 1, your Hit Points are 10 Plus your Constitution Modifier. Your Hit Die is a D10
Proficiency:
Saving Throws: Constitution, Charisma
Skills: Choose 2: Athletics, Acrobatics, Deception, Persuasion, Perception, Insight, Arcana, Religion, Stealth, Investigate
Armor: Light, Medium, Shields
Weapons: Simple weapons

Scion of Legacy
You are the inheritor of a grand legacy. Starting at 1st level, you can meditate with your object to attempt to gain a deeper understanding of your legacy; this requires 10 minutes of time. After doing so, you gain the effects of the Enhance Ability Spell, enhancing whichever Stat your artifact is tied to. This lasts for 1 hour at 1st-4th level, for 8 hours at 5th-9th level, and for 24 hours after 10th level.

Legendary Artifact
You gain a legendary articfact, albeit one stripped of (Most) of it's power. This artifact can take a number of different forms (your choice), but that form will dictate the powers and abilities that are unlocked as it remains in your possession. It does still have a slight mote of power, granting you a minor ability or boon.
Though your artifact is bound to your very soul, it does not require Attunement, and does not count against your total number of attuned Magical items unless otherwise specified. As well, since you are bound to your artifact, you may call it to your person from any distance, profided it is on the same plane of existance as you. You are always considered proficient when wiedling your artifact.
If your Artifact grants you the ability to cast a spell once/short rest without using a spell slot, use the table below to determine the effective spell slot level. You always use your artifact's associated Stat as your spellcasting modifier.
Your Artifact may grant your spells known and spell slots. Unlabeled spell slots are always cast at your maximum spell level known (up to 5th), and refresh on a short rest. Labled Spell slots (e.g. 6th level and 8th level slots) refresh on a long rest.
You legendary Artifact is magical all on its own, and as such, resists any attempts to enchant it. should you Lose your legendary artifact (it's destroyed, shifted to another plane, etc) you lose all associated powers until you retrieve it. Should you choose to, and should you find one, you may change the type of artifact you are currently bound to; This process takes one full week of meditation and fasting. You may only be bound to one legacy artifact at a time. Regardless of the powers it currently grants you, your artifact will not function for any other user but you.

Level

Spell Slot Level

3rd

2nd

7th

3rd

11th

4th

15th

5th

18th

6th

Aura of Greatness
Due to your connection to your artifact, you are, quite literally, bound for greatness. Starting at 2nd level, other creatures begin to notice, even without being told. You add half your proficiency bonus to all Persuasion and Intimidate checks; at 15th level, you add your full Proficiency bonus.

Legacy Training
Starting at 5th level, you receive a flash of insight from the past wielders of your artifact. You recieve a boon based on the type of artifact you have:
Swiftness, Power, Resolve, Mercy (Weapon) - Extra Attack: When you make the Attack action on your turn, you may attack twice.
Brilliance, Ego, Mercy (Holy Symbol) - Power surge: When you use a Cantrip that deals damage, you add your spellcasting modifier to the damage roll. If your cantrip has multiple damage rolls ,you ad this bonus to each one. This does not stack with any other ability that allows you to add your Spellcasting modifier to your damage rolls.

Chosen Champion
Your position as champion of your legacy is cemented fully, and your artifact responds to this fact with increased power. After you roll a skill check, attack roll, or saving throw, before you know if you succeed, you may re-roll that roll. you may do this once/long rest. At level 12, you may do this twice/long rest, and at level 18, three times/long rest.

Aura of Heroisim
Those around you know that a true hero is in their midst. Starting at 9th level, you can use your Heroic Aura to inspire your allies to fight on. As a bonus action, you can grant any allies within 10 ft. of you temporary hp equal to your level + your artifact's associated stat modifier. You may do this a number of times equal to your artifacts associated stat modifier; you regain all uses of this ability on a long rest.. At 18th level, this range increases to 30 ft.

Legacy Guardian
Starting at 17th level, your legacy fuels your body and soul, allowing you to build a longer, greater legacy. You no longer age, cannot be magically aged, and cannot die from old age.

True Legacy
You gain a bond with your artifact that surpasses that of its previous owner, ensuring that the owners that come after you will follow in your path. Once per long rest, as an action, you may recover any expended abilities your artifact provides you.

Legacy Items

Artifact of Swiftness (Dexterity)
May be any finesse weapon, pair of light weapons, bow/crossbow, or sling.
1st level - Weapon is Magical, Users Base speed increases by 10 ft.

Melee Weapon
3rd level - Weapon gains a +1 magical bonus deals an additional 1d6 poison or Necrotic damage once per turn (choose at level 3). Grants the Poison Spray or Chill Touch Cantrip (select at 3rd). Gain either Two Weapon Fighting (for a pair of weapons) or Dueling (for a single weapon) Fighting style
7th level - Wielder Can Cast Invisibility and Haste once/short rest without a spell slot
11th level - Weapon bonus increases to +2 and deals an additional 1d8 points of poison or necrotic damage on every attack.
15th level - Wielder can Cast Darkness at will, and can see through regular and Magical darkenss
18th level - Weapon gains the abilities of a Sword of Answering (of your alignment), and now deals an additional 2d6 poison or necrotic damage per strike.

Ranged Weapon
3rd level - Weapon gains a +1 magical bonus, ignores the loading property and/or creates it's own ammunition. Can cast Hunter's Mark once/short rest without a spell slot. Gain the Archery Fighting Style.
7th level - Wielder can cast Flame arrows and Lightning Arrow once/short rest without a spell slot
11th level - Weapon bonus increases to +2, and Wielder can make a single attack as a bonus action.
15th level - Wielder Can cast Pass Without Trace at will, and gains a climb speed equal to their movement speed.
18th level - Weapon bonus increases to +3, and it gains the abilities of an Oathbow.

Artifact of Power (Strength)
May be any Versitile weapon, Two handed, heavy weapon, or pair of Gauntlets
1st level - Artifact is Magical, Users deals double damage to inanimate objects.

Weapon
3rd level - Weapon gains a +1 magical bonus, Deals an additional 1d6 elemental damage (fire, cold, lightning, acid, or thunder) once/turn (choose at 3rd level), and grants the Flame bolt, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp, Acid Splash, or Thunderclap Cantrip (Choose at 3rd level). Gain the Dueling, Great Weapon, or Hand-and-a-Half fighting Style, as appropriate.
7th level - You may cast Elemental weapon and Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Sleet Storm, Erupting Earth, or Wind Wall (Chose at 7th level) once per Short rest without a spell slot.
11th level - Weapon bonus increases to +2, deals an additional 1d8 Elemental damage (type you selected at 3rd) per strike.
15th level - You may cast the Absorb Elements spell at will, And may cast a cantrip as a bonus action after taking the attack action.
18th level - Weapon gains the abilities of a Rod of Lordly Might. It retains all previous abilities regardless of what form it's in.

Gauntlets
3rd level - Your unarmed Strikes gain a +1 magical bonus, deal 1d4 damage, you may make an additional unarmed strike as a bonus action. Gain the Mariner fighting style.
7th level - You may cast Enlarge/Reduce and Vampiric Touch once/short rest without a spell slot.
11th level - Your unarmed Strike bonus increases to +2 and damage increases to 1d8. You may now make two additional unarmed strikes on a bonus action.
15th level - You may cast the Jump spell at will, and are immune to falling damage.
18th level - Gauntlets gain the abilities of a Belt of Storm Giant Strength.

Artifact of Resolve (Constitution)
May be any Suit of armor or shield
1st level - Armor or Shield is Magical, Reduces damage to the user from any source by 1 point

Armor
3rd level - Armor gains a +1 magical AC bonus, and Grants the Blade Ward cantrip. Gain the Defensive Fighting Style.
7th level - Wielder may change armor into any form, and Gains the abilities of a pair of boots of striding and springing.
11th level - Armor's magical AC bonus increases to +2. Wearer may cast Heal, targeting himself, once/long rest without a spell slot.
15th level - Armor gains the abilities of Adamantine Armor, and you can cast Shield of Faith At will.
18th level - Armor gains the abilities of Armor of Invulnerbility.

Shield
3rd Level - Shield gains a +1 magical AC bonus, Grants the Thunderclap cantrip. Gain the Protective Fighting Style
7th level - Weilder may cast Shield and Divine Favor once/short rest without a spell slot.
11th level - Shield's magical AC bonus increases to +2. Wielder may cast Primordial Ward once/long rest without a spell slot.
15th level - You may cast shield at will, and can use your reaction to reflect a melee attack that hits you back on the attacker once/short rest.
18th level - Shield's magical AC bonus increases to +3 and Gains the ability to hover close to you, allowing you to wield it with no hands.

Artifact of Mercy (Wisdom)
May be any Holy symbol, Simple Weapon, or versatile weapon
1st level - Artifact is Magical, Grants two cantrips selected from the Cleric or Druid Spell list. Your artifact grants your spells and spell slots from those lists. You may choose new granted spells following a long rest. If your artifact grants your Channel Divinity, you must choose your Domain at 1st level, and this choice is permanent.

Holy Symbol
3rd level - Grants 2 1st level spells and 2 2nd level spells, two cantrips, and 2 spell slots. Gain Channel Divinity 1/long rest.
7th level - Grants 2 3rd level spells and 2 4th level spells, one cantrip, and 2 spell slots. Channel Divinity 2/long rest.
11th level - Grants 2 5th level spells and 2 6th level spells, one cantrip, and 1 6th level spell slot. Channel Divinity 3/long rest.
15th level - Grants 2 7th level spells and 1 8th level spell, one cantrip, and 1 8th level spell slot. Channel Divinity 4/long rest.
18th level - Item gains the abilities of a Rod of Resurrection with the following exception: it cannot vanish if it runs out of charges. You may wield it as if you were a Cleric of your level.

Weapon
3rd level - Weapon gains A +1 Magical bonus, and grants the ability to Lay on hands. Total HP healed is 4x your level. You may cast Crusader's Mantle 1/Short rest without using a spell slot. Gain the Dueling or Hand-and-a-Half fighting style, as appropriate.
7th level - You and All allies within 10 ft. of you gain half your proficiency bonus to their saving throws. You may cast Thunderous Smite once/short rest without using a spell slot.
11th level - Weapon bonus increases to +2, gains the abilities of a sunblade, and deals an additional 1d8 Radiant damage per hit. You may cast Blinding Smite 1/short rest without using a spell slot.
15th level - You and All allies within 30 ft. of you gain half your proficiency bonus to their saving throws. You may cast Destructive Wave once/short rest without using a spell slot.
18th level - Weapon gains the abilities of a Holy Avenger, and you may wield it as if you were a paladin of your level.

Artifact of Brilliance (intelligence)
May be a Staff, Rod, Ring, Wand, or any spellcasting focus
1st level - Artifact is magical, Grants 2 cantrips from the Wizard Spell list. You artifact grants your spells and spell slots from those lists. You may choose new granted spells following a long rest.
3rd level - Grants 3 1st level spells and 3 2nd level spells, two cantrips, and 2 spell slots. Artifact gains the abilities of a +1 wand of the war mage.
7th level - grants 3 3rd level spells and 3 4th level spells, one cantrip, and 2 spell slots.
11th level - grants 3 5th level spells and 3 6th level spells, one cantrip, and 1 6th level spell slot. Artifact gains the abilities of a +2 wand of the war mage.
15th level - grants 3 7th level spells and 2 8th level spells, one cantrip, and 1 8th level spell slot
18th level - Item gains the abilities of a Staff of the Magi with the following exceptions: You cannot use it for a retribution strike, and if you exceed 50 charges via the Spell Absorption ability, the resulting explosion targets only you and does not destroy the staff. You may wield it as if you were a wizard of your level.

Artifact of Ego (Charisma)
May be a necklace, Ring, Rod, or any spellcasting focus
1st level - Artifact is magical, Grants 2 cantrips from the Warlock, Sorcerer, or Bard spell lists. You artifact grants your spells and spell slots from those lists. You may choose new granted spells following a long rest.
3rd level - Grants 1 1st level spell and 1 2nd level spell, two cantrips, and 2 spell slots. Gain 1 Invocation. Artifact gains the abilities of a +1 Rod of the Pact keeper.
7th level - Grants 1 3rd level spells and 1 4th level spells, one cantrip, and 2 spell slots. Gain 1 invocation
11th level - Grants 1 5th level spells and 1 6th level spells, one cantrip, and 1 6th level spell slot. Gain 1 Invocation. Artifact gains the abilities of a +2 rod of the pact keeper.
15th level - Grants 1 7th level spells and 1 8th level spell, one cantrip, and 1 8th level spell slot. Gain 1 invocation
18th level - Item gains the abilities of a Robe of the Arch Magi and you may wield it as if you were a Sorcerer of your level.

So, I've made some edits, boosted power on a lot of things. The one I'm particularly concerned about is the Artifact Of Brilliance. I like the idea that he gets a Legendary Magic Item, like everyone else, but that's one of the more powerful ones. I might just be paranoid, though.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-07, 10:17 AM
I like the idea a lot, but the spellcasting artifacts need tweaking. Right now you can cast 5 8th level spells per short rest, which is a bit much.

Also, the Resolve artifact bonus aren't 100% clear on stacking. Does a 20th level shield artifact give you +5 AC or +8? As worded, it looks like the bonuses are cumulative, which is too strong.

Submortimer
2015-07-07, 11:52 AM
I like the idea a lot, but the spellcasting artifacts need tweaking. Right now you can cast 5 8th level spells per short rest, which is a bit much.

Also, the Resolve artifact bonus aren't 100% clear on stacking. Does a 20th level shield artifact give you +5 AC or +8? As worded, it looks like the bonuses are cumulative, which is too strong.

Yeah, I have no idea how I want to do those. I figured that it was op as is, but still haven't figured out how I want to fix it.

Also, the bonuses on the Resolve artifact aren't cumulative. A level 20 shield has a +3 magical bonus.

Steampunkette
2015-07-07, 05:14 PM
Magnificent, Submortimer. You should be hired by WotC.

I give you an idea outline, and just a few days later there's a playtestable product!

Submortimer
2015-07-07, 07:10 PM
Heh, thanks. If you have any connections, feel free to reccomend me :-)

Still, this guy needs some work. I think it does what I want it to, but some things are too strong, and others not strong enough.

Steampunkette
2015-07-08, 01:39 AM
Could set the levels of the spell slots? 2 2nd level, then 1 4th, 1 6th, and 1 8th? It'd still be 3 8th level slots per day, essentially, but at least it wouldn't be 5 per short rest.

Submortimer
2015-07-08, 01:47 AM
Could set the levels of the spell slots? 2 2nd level, then 1 4th, 1 6th, and 1 8th? It'd still be 3 8th level slots per day, essentially, but at least it wouldn't be 5 per short rest.

I thought about that. I think I might make it like the Warlock: Spell slots up to 5, spells from 6-8 are once/long rest.

Submortimer
2015-07-08, 02:48 AM
Okay, made a bunch of changes:

- Sorted out spellcasting. If an artifact grants "Spell Slots", those are cast at the max level of spell you know (up to 5th) and aarefresh on a short rest; basically, pact magic slots. if you gain a Labeled spell slot (e.g. 6th level spell slot) that one refreshes on a long rest.
- Magical weapons each have a non-cumulative Magical bonus progression, and do not stack with any bonuses granted by virtue of an item gaining the abilities of another magical item.
- formatting got better.

Deamone
2015-08-01, 04:19 AM
Scion
So, I've made some edits, boosted power on a lot of things. The one I'm particularly concerned about is the Artifact Of Brilliance. I like the idea that he gets a Legendary Magic Item, like everyone else, but that's one of the more powerful ones. I might just be paranoid, though.

1st off, I like it. I'm actually going to play one in my current game. Something occurred to me though, the HP feels a little high for all of the options. Wouldn't it make more sense for Power/Resolve to get the d10, Swiftness/Mercy to get a d8 and Brilliance/Ego to get d6? I feel it would put them more in line with the standard classes. The defense options and other factors should bear it out. Just a thought.

ImSAMazing
2015-08-01, 05:01 AM
1st off, I like it. I'm actually going to play one in my current game. Something occurred to me though, the HP feels a little high for all of the options. Wouldn't it make more sense for Power/Resolve to get the d10, Swiftness/Mercy to get a d8 and Brilliance/Ego to get d6? I feel it would put them more in line with the standard classes. The defense options and other factors should bear it out. Just a thought.

I second that, everything except playing this class,not sure if I may.