View Full Version : Why is 445 comforting?

AdInfinitum
2007-04-29, 09:03 PM
Josh Hancock, 29, a pitcher for the Saint Louis Cardinals, died early this morning in an auto accident. Outside the stadium today, hundreds of people were milling about, either in shock or in tears. For those of us in St. Louis, the death is especially troubling; somewhat recently, another Cardinals pitcher in his prime died in his sleep of a rare heart condition. The wound is still there, and it just got hit by a high-speed SUV.

Personally, I haven't been able to think of much else today. Death is easy to forget about, until it makes itself felt. Forgetting again isn't easy. But I re-read the comic, and was able to chuckle.

Maybe it's the invoking of Danny Boy. It's a classic mourning song for a reason, with a tune that flows and words that comfort.

Maybe it's the slight mocking humor. There's something faintly ridiculous in the mourning of a celebrity, doubly so for a sports figure. A week ago, we might have been cursing his name. But he still affected a city and more, and now he won't.

Or maybe it's just the escapism, the offering of a world where everything can be set right with a bit of diamond dust (Have you seen his World Series ring?) and a friendly dwarf (Have you seen David Eckstein (http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/Little.jpg)?).

Regardless, the comic helped. I don't know why, but it did. Thanks.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-29, 09:18 PM
My great uncle dave died right after christmas. He was the closest thing to a grandfather I ever had because my real grandfather died four years before I was born. He was a great guy, always cracking jokes and generally being just a great ol' guy.

When I read 445 for the first time I thought of Ol' uncle dave, and for the first time since I heard he was dead when I thought of him I felt good. It was a good send off for many I suppose.