PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian multiclass (making a viking)

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-07, 10:22 AM
I want to make a multiclass with levels in another (martial) class.
I know the lv. 20 feature of a barbarian is very strong. So not a 2 lv. dip.

Any ideas???

Ralanr
2015-07-07, 10:33 AM
Well you lose it with a 1 level dip anyway.

Go shield and axe, take 1 level in fighter for dueling fighting style and you're golden.

Same for great weapon fighting.

Pick up shield master if you go dueling.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-07, 10:48 AM
Vikings can totally be fighters; they weren't all berserkers, you know.

You're not likely to see a capstone in play anyway, so I think it's of dubious value.

I'd consider champion or battlemaster fighter 3; that gives you the important stuff. Subclass really depends on how often you'll rest between fights. Fighting style can be basically anything from sword-and-board, dual axes, or greataxe.

Depending on what you're in barbarian for, more or fewer levels might be desirable, as long as you don't delay your ASI or extra attack for too long.

djreynolds
2015-07-07, 11:17 AM
Vikings are cool, yes any class could be a Viking. But a barbarian champion with sailor is nice. 9 barbarian and 11 champion. 3 attacks, 2 fighting styles, rage, advantage and remarkable athlete. Covers a lot.

ruy343
2015-07-07, 06:01 PM
For additional brutality, consider the shield master feat, pushing people onto the ground, and taking a few levels of rogue for sneak attack on those unfortunate souls that failed the contest. You can do this right off the bat at level 2 if you are a variant human barbarian with the feat, then multiclass at level 2 to rogue. Raging will also give you advantage on the Strength (athletics) check to knock the guy over.

Good times.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, rogue and barbarian synergize really well in a lot of ways.

Ralanr
2015-07-07, 06:14 PM
For additional brutality, consider the shield master feat, pushing people onto the ground, and taking a few levels of rogue for sneak attack on those unfortunate souls that failed the contest. You can do this right off the bat at level 2 if you are a variant human barbarian with the feat, then multiclass at level 2 to rogue. Raging will also give you advantage on the Strength (athletics) check to knock the guy over.

Good times.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, rogue and barbarian synergize really well in a lot of ways.

Remember that you can only shield bash after you've attacked. Though I think if you have extra attacks (which barb does at one point, rogue never gets) you could attack, bash, then attack the downed body.

Edit: But Sneak attack also can't be applied to strength based weapon attacks. Requires finesse weapons. So a dagger or a rapier. Also shortsword or Scimitar.

Thematically I don't think a rapier works.

Mechaviking
2015-07-07, 11:16 PM
Viking can be almost any class, but the quintessential berserker one is most certanly a Barbarian, there you can be every type of barbarian you want and it works out just fine(some viking were said to have somewhat mystical powers, mostly in the perception prescience range) so totem or rager can work.

With multiclassing you can get most of the barb features with a couple of levels.

Rogue, ranger and even a sortof paladin(think Tyr the god of justice who sacrificed his hand to leash the Vargr hound) would work. Storm and war clerics as well :D

So take your pick.

I daresay that the new mariner combat style would supplement a viking fairly well, but it doesnīt allow you to use a shield.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-07, 11:32 PM
Remember that you can only shield bash after you've attacked. Though I think if you have extra attacks (which barb does at one point, rogue never gets) you could attack, bash, then attack the downed body.

Crawford says the shield bash may be taken before attacking (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/). He's the one with most authority on dev-tweet rulings, so his sage advice communications are pretty much word of god as far as the game rules go.

This is true. Many have pointed out that barbarian/rogue makes for an excellent grappler (and of course other maneuvers like disarming, shoving aside, overrunning, and climbing atop enemies). With high strength, doubled proficiency bonus, and advantage, it's very hard for enemies to succeed against that strength(athletics) check. Such a character can easily shove enemies to the floor and grapple them; this is a very good lockdown, giving the subject disadvantage to attack, giving the grappler and others advantage in melee attacks against the subject, reducing the subject's speed to zero (so he cannot even stand up until the grapple ends), and allowing the grappler to drag the subject about at will. Add in a Silence spell and perhaps Mage Slayer, and you've practically ended the fight for a caster. Many DMs will consider allowing more creative uses for strength(athletics), such as hurling a grappled enemy off the side of a cliff or even using him as a weapon against his fellows.

Ralanr
2015-07-07, 11:44 PM
Crawford says the shield bash may be taken before attacking (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/). He's the one with most authority on dev-tweet rulings, so his sage advice communications are pretty much word of god as far as the game rules go.

Huh. Didn't know that. Honestly I'm not sure why it was asked, the wording seemed pretty clear. If you make an attack, you can shove as a bonus action.

Paeleus
2015-07-08, 12:00 AM
Huh. Didn't know that. Honestly I'm not sure why it was asked, the wording seemed pretty clear. If you make an attack, you can shove as a bonus action.

I do believe you can take a bonus action any time during your turn.

Also, I know everyone goes to sword or (especially) axe, but what about the spear? Odin's weapon was Gungėr (sp?), a spear. The Vikings were all about a spear. And javelins. But I digress...

Ralanr
2015-07-08, 12:10 AM
I do believe you can take a bonus action any time during your turn.

Also, I know everyone goes to sword or (especially) axe, but what about the spear? Odin's weapon was Gungėr (sp?), a spear. The Vikings were all about a spear. And javelins. But I digress...

Yes but I thought that you needed something that gives a bonus action, and if there was a requirement then you need to meet that requirement.

Javelins might be easier to hold in your shield hand. So you can grab it faster and throw it.

djreynolds
2015-07-08, 01:12 AM
That's the best part about 5e, no more specialization. You're attack from the sea. Think beach scene in Troy. Spear and shield, or javelin. You throw it. Draw your sword and shield, kill a couple of guys. You lose your sword stuck in someone's head, draw that big axe and drop the shield. You get grappled and pull that dagger and gut him. You've trained with all those weapons. You don't have a rapier, you're not finessing someone's head off. You're chopping that off. You don't have a parrot or an eye-patch. There is no finesse with a Viking.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-08, 05:06 AM
Vikings are cool, yes any class could be a Viking. But a barbarian champion with sailor is nice. 9 barbarian and 11 champion. 3 attacks, 2 fighting styles, rage, advantage and remarkable athlete. Covers a lot.

That's a nice idea.

Is paladin/barbarian good.

djreynolds
2015-07-08, 08:48 AM
That's a nice idea.

I think so. As explained to me on many posts, paladin in really no longer just the cavalier type. The fighter really encompasses that now. I'm unsure of smiting while raging, but I think an 11 paladin adds radiant damage regardless or in addition to smites. That cut off might work. 13 paladin gives you 4th level spells. A champion of Thor with a versatile warhammer is cool. And you can begin a barbarian cause you won't need heavy armor.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-08, 10:35 AM
That's the best part about 5e, no more specialization. You're attack from the sea. Think beach scene in Troy. Spear and shield, or javelin. You throw it. Draw your sword and shield, kill a couple of guys. You lose your sword stuck in someone's head, draw that big axe and drop the shield. You get grappled and pull that dagger and gut him. You've trained with all those weapons. You don't have a rapier, you're not finessing someone's head off. You're chopping that off. You don't have a parrot or an eye-patch. There is no finesse with a Viking.

There still is, just look at all the feats and class features whose benefit only applies to a small list of weapons. The real difference is that weapon specializations tend to apply to a range or category of weapons rather than just one.

djreynolds
2015-07-09, 02:12 AM
There still is, just look at all the feats and class features whose benefit only applies to a small list of weapons. The real difference is that weapon specializations tend to apply to a range or category of weapons rather than just one.

I'm sorry if I didn't come across the way I wanted it to.

Real life warriors train in a variety of weapons and should be able to employ them all with skill, proficiently. I just didn't like weapon specialization before, because you should use the right tool for the right situation and always have redundancies. And yes they are archer Vikings, who will probably pull out short swords. For me a barbarian Viking is rushing his enemy and throwing everything at them. Like in Deadliest Warrior, he's got a weapon for every range. Nowadays, the gun has changed that, but you still have a rifle, pistol, knife, and even a E-tool or an axe. I just like that idea of character with several weapons at his disposal and I imagine a Viking using those weapons as he closes in, and yeah one of the Vikings is still on board showering the enemy with arrows. I was just focusing on the guy jumping of the boat.

But yes, there are some feats that push people to only use pole-arms.

Malifice
2015-07-09, 03:38 AM
Well you lose it with a 1 level dip anyway.

Go shield and axe, take 1 level in fighter for dueling fighting style and you're golden.

Same for great weapon fighting.

Pick up shield master if you go dueling.

Is there really a need for shield master as a barbarian? You get advantage for free with reckless Attack.

You get a surprising amount of play from champion. That expanded crit range hits hit a lot more with reckless attack, and with a lot of barbarian levels the advantages of scoring a crit with brutal crit becomes well worth it.

Permissive DM with short rests at will and BM is still the better option though.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 04:10 AM
Shield master gives pseudo evasion and helps bump a save you only get advantage in for specifics.

In short, it makes the barbarian have stupid amounts of staying power.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-09, 10:11 AM
Is there really a need for shield master as a barbarian? You get advantage for free with reckless Attack.

Giving enemies advantage to hit you is hardly "free". It can be much more trouble than it's worth if enemies take advantage of it by focusing on the barbarian.

Mechaviking
2015-07-09, 11:12 AM
Giving enemies advantage to hit you is hardly "free". It can be much more trouble than it's worth if enemies take advantage of it by focusing on the barbarian.

He also reduces damage he receives by half, itīs a hidden agro mechanic.

Or just be Gunnar and rock a halberd with polearm master, though tbh Gunnar was a lot more famous for using his bow even though he had a magical halberd.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 11:16 AM
He also reduces damage he receives by half, itīs a hidden agro mechanic.

Or just be Gunnar and rock a halberd with polearm master, though tbh Gunnar was a lot more famous for using his bow even though he had a magical halberd.

Only in rage buddy, and unless it's bear totem then it's only melee damage.

Damn monster with their damn extra damage types on weapons.

Mechaviking
2015-07-09, 11:20 AM
Only in rage buddy, and unless it's bear totem then it's only melee damage.

Damn monster with their damn extra damage types on weapons.

When isnīt he raging? :D

Also itīs resistance to physical damage not just melee

Polearm Master also works best with bear since you arent doing anything with your bonus actions.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 11:27 AM
Probably when the barbarian is on the John. XD

Slipperychicken
2015-07-09, 12:26 PM

When the DM follows the guideline of 6-8 fights per day?

djreynolds
2015-07-09, 01:25 PM
Though MAD, barbarian/paladin, seems to be a nasty encounter. Smiting and raging, 6 levels adds your chr to all saves and now shield master is really good. Wearing medium armor lets you leave dex at 10-14.

The thread's author asked, and though others say no, it seems promising.

Hawkstar
2015-07-09, 04:06 PM
About every 2 out of 3 encounters.

The advantage of the Shield Master feat is that it gives something to do with the bonus action (Not just knocking down, but also scooting around a battlefield), and improved defenses.

Or, you could just pass on feats entirely.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-09, 05:51 PM
The advantage of the Shield Master feat is that it gives something to do with the bonus action (Not just knocking down, but also scooting around a battlefield), and improved defenses.

I just realized that shield master allows shove, and shove allows the "shove aside" option (DMG 272). So one could use the shield master bonus action to move a target in more directions than just away. If the shield master and his opponent were at the edge of a cliff, the shield master could shove his opponent off the edge without spending attacks for it.

djreynolds
2015-07-10, 08:23 AM
That's a nice idea.

Roll up that barbarian paladin, its a good combo. It's your thread. I'm dying to see your take on it.

Mechaviking
2015-07-10, 08:47 AM
When the DM follows the guideline of 6-8 fights per day?

Iīve been playing d&d next since itīs release and I have never gotten even close to 5 encounters a day, maybie the keep around level 5ish in horde of the dragon queen but just maybie.

out of 3 dmīs Iīve played regularly with 2 of them run 1-2 a day with a heavier emphasis on story/traveling/plot driven expositions and narratives.

Guess Iīm just lucky.

Shield master is definetly more vikingy, trust me I should know :D

Slipperychicken
2015-07-10, 09:49 AM
Iīve been playing d&d next since itīs release and I have never gotten even close to 5 encounters a day, maybie the keep around level 5ish in horde of the dragon queen but just maybie.

out of 3 dmīs Iīve played regularly with 2 of them run 1-2 a day with a heavier emphasis on story/traveling/plot driven expositions and narratives.

Most games go the way yours do; fewer fights which are all dangerous. Pretty much all the games I've seen go that way too.

You're only really likely to see so many fights per long rest in a more traditional multi-level dungeon crawl. I find that the attrition helps class balance in combat; sure a barbarian or druid might be a badass 3-4 times per day, but they can't keep it up through 6+ encounters, so need to quickly decide which fights are worth using a daily on. They really don't want to walk into a boss-fight when they're out of dailies.